Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Doogles' Album Review: Abbey Road

2»

Comments

• Options
    GilbystaintGilbystaint Member Posts: 1,061
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

89ute said:

Doogles said:

Starting this review let it be known I'm on an airplane at the tail end of a bender and the mania has completely set in.

I hate the Beatles. Just the concept of them in general always bothered me. I never gave them a chance and it was always easier to be contrarian than listen and think and care.

So Abbey road is widely regarded as this epic album, figured as a music lover I'd be doing myself a disservice not listening to it in it's entirety at least once.

Also my 1 hour of free WiFi on American with T-Mobile expired and I have nothing else to do.

Come together: One of the few songs I've heard. It's a hit nuff said, love the rolling drums and sneaky beat.

Something: okay now it's getting real. I'm starting to realize these British assholes with bowl cuts have some soul. Feeling relaxed, feeling like I let her get away, and then the hook comes in and I'm feeling desperate and confused "I don't know?!" Am I pleading for affection or just trying to run away?

This album is not over.

Maxwell's Silver Hammer: I'm kinda smirking because this is the cheesy shit that made me avoid the Beatles in the first place. But I like the lightness of the mood contrasting the first two songs. It makes me laugh but I'll never listen to it again. It doesn't affect me.

Oh Darling: Holy shit I'm starting to get it. This is speaking to me, he is calm, then screaming. He's trying to convince her and himself that what he is saying is true. He doesn't believe himself so he gets desperate and it reflects. That's the type of shit you say to your next ex wife.

Octopuses Garden: put this in the Maxwell's Silver hammer category, but it's more technically gifted. I like the idea of getting away and hiding. It makes me happy but I'll probably never listen on demand.

I want you (she's so heavy): Holy fuck this is awesome. This whole album is desperate so far. It proves my theory in Oh darling he doesn't really care about her. She's an object to be devoured by his insatiable thirst. And it calms down as soon as his God complex wears off. Then the excessive symbols on the percussion. It's all noise to not be embarrassed.

Here comes the sun: heard it a million times before, but in context of the album I feel like it's the moment you get over the hangover/withdrawal phase and begin to feel normal again. The crashing symbols of I want you makes more sense, he was a disaster and it didn't make sense, but now, here comes the sun.

Because: intro reminds me of the house of the rising sun. This feels like a song that was written sober. He's forgetting the previous chaos. I imagine the next song will be disjointed.

You never give me your money: Self loathing, selfish, self indulged, a millennial anthem. I was semi right, these guys know how to keep you on your toes, the beginning is never like the end. I feel like he's not about that sober life and decided to pick up a baggy. He's getting weird again. I like it. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7....

Sun King: Off the bat feels good, it's the other side of the coin from "here comes the sun". He's in the good part of the high. Then he starts speaking Spanish (I'm Puerto Rican, people forget that) but this dude is on cloud nine high as shit. Almost in awe he has to speak a different language.

Mean Mr Mustard: The angst is creeping in. He's annoyed and irritated. It's not blissful like before. He's a hater right now and unhappy.

Polythene Pam: He re-upped but is still annoyed. Songs are getting shorter, great guitar work but I want more.

She Came in through the bathroom window: This is still the same song as Polythene Pam. These brits got me fucked up. "She could steal, but could not Rob". Damn. This is good bender shit.

Golden Slumbers: already love it. He's lost and he acknowledges he had a chance to get back to good, but it's too late.

Carry that weight: extension of golden Slumbers. It's the remorseful stage blended into acceptance. What a dark album. I love it.

The end: hell yeah I am what I am. To quote the great Chris Farley, "The love you take is equal to the love you make, is that true?"

Her Majesty: I wish this song was 5 minutes, why so short? Someday im gonna make her mine but I need a belly full of wine. What a great ending. It speaks to his desire to be loved but first he needs something else. It's avoidant behavior, meek then aggressive. I love you, but...

Doogles rating: A-

These guys crushed it when listened as a whole. But in today's world I would never listen to the entire album unless my airplane ran out of free WiFi.

It was a great ride though. I'll entertain more of their shit and be less of a hater.

Consuming music by the album is exactly what god intended. Keep it up, you'll soon get it.
    Why do you hate pre 1966- 67 music? The 45 RPM was king and most LPs were shit until the later 60's.
    I guess for Rock’n’Roll. If one slides over to Jazz, there are a tremendous amount of good albums.
  • Options
    GilbystaintGilbystaint Member Posts: 1,061
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    dflea said:

Swaye said:

Master of Puppets
    Ride the Lightning
    Kill 'em All
    And Justice For All
    Black Album
    NOGAF

Am I in the wrong thread?

Beatles couldn't make the Final 4 but they had a damn tough bracket.
    So did Metallica. This is what they were up against.

High Voltage
    Dirty Deeds
    Let There Be Rock
    Powerage
    Highway to Hell

That was a great tournament.

Abbey Road is a great album. I don't listen to it very often, but I always dig it when I do. I've always listened to the whole thing - it's just not the same songs otherwise.
    My favorite AC/DC album is “If You Want Blood”.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

89ute said:

Doogles said:

Starting this review let it be known I'm on an airplane at the tail end of a bender and the mania has completely set in.

I hate the Beatles. Just the concept of them in general always bothered me. I never gave them a chance and it was always easier to be contrarian than listen and think and care.

So Abbey road is widely regarded as this epic album, figured as a music lover I'd be doing myself a disservice not listening to it in it's entirety at least once.

Also my 1 hour of free WiFi on American with T-Mobile expired and I have nothing else to do.

Come together: One of the few songs I've heard. It's a hit nuff said, love the rolling drums and sneaky beat.

Something: okay now it's getting real. I'm starting to realize these British assholes with bowl cuts have some soul. Feeling relaxed, feeling like I let her get away, and then the hook comes in and I'm feeling desperate and confused "I don't know?!" Am I pleading for affection or just trying to run away?

This album is not over.

Maxwell's Silver Hammer: I'm kinda smirking because this is the cheesy shit that made me avoid the Beatles in the first place. But I like the lightness of the mood contrasting the first two songs. It makes me laugh but I'll never listen to it again. It doesn't affect me.

Oh Darling: Holy shit I'm starting to get it. This is speaking to me, he is calm, then screaming. He's trying to convince her and himself that what he is saying is true. He doesn't believe himself so he gets desperate and it reflects. That's the type of shit you say to your next ex wife.

Octopuses Garden: put this in the Maxwell's Silver hammer category, but it's more technically gifted. I like the idea of getting away and hiding. It makes me happy but I'll probably never listen on demand.

I want you (she's so heavy): Holy fuck this is awesome. This whole album is desperate so far. It proves my theory in Oh darling he doesn't really care about her. She's an object to be devoured by his insatiable thirst. And it calms down as soon as his God complex wears off. Then the excessive symbols on the percussion. It's all noise to not be embarrassed.

Here comes the sun: heard it a million times before, but in context of the album I feel like it's the moment you get over the hangover/withdrawal phase and begin to feel normal again. The crashing symbols of I want you makes more sense, he was a disaster and it didn't make sense, but now, here comes the sun.

Because: intro reminds me of the house of the rising sun. This feels like a song that was written sober. He's forgetting the previous chaos. I imagine the next song will be disjointed.

You never give me your money: Self loathing, selfish, self indulged, a millennial anthem. I was semi right, these guys know how to keep you on your toes, the beginning is never like the end. I feel like he's not about that sober life and decided to pick up a baggy. He's getting weird again. I like it. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7....

Sun King: Off the bat feels good, it's the other side of the coin from "here comes the sun". He's in the good part of the high. Then he starts speaking Spanish (I'm Puerto Rican, people forget that) but this dude is on cloud nine high as shit. Almost in awe he has to speak a different language.

Mean Mr Mustard: The angst is creeping in. He's annoyed and irritated. It's not blissful like before. He's a hater right now and unhappy.

Polythene Pam: He re-upped but is still annoyed. Songs are getting shorter, great guitar work but I want more.

She Came in through the bathroom window: This is still the same song as Polythene Pam. These brits got me fucked up. "She could steal, but could not Rob". Damn. This is good bender shit.

Golden Slumbers: already love it. He's lost and he acknowledges he had a chance to get back to good, but it's too late.

Carry that weight: extension of golden Slumbers. It's the remorseful stage blended into acceptance. What a dark album. I love it.

The end: hell yeah I am what I am. To quote the great Chris Farley, "The love you take is equal to the love you make, is that true?"

Her Majesty: I wish this song was 5 minutes, why so short? Someday im gonna make her mine but I need a belly full of wine. What a great ending. It speaks to his desire to be loved but first he needs something else. It's avoidant behavior, meek then aggressive. I love you, but...

Doogles rating: A-

These guys crushed it when listened as a whole. But in today's world I would never listen to the entire album unless my airplane ran out of free WiFi.

It was a great ride though. I'll entertain more of their shit and be less of a hater.

Consuming music by the album is exactly what god intended. Keep it up, you'll soon get it.
    Why do you hate pre 1966- 67 music? The 45 RPM was king and most LPs were shit until the later 60's.
    I guess for Rock’n’Roll. If one slides over to Jazz, there are a tremendous amount of good albums.
    Yes, Jazz and Classical are the exceptions. Rock and Country were very much singles driven early on.