Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Illegal non bored certified pole: Greatest Country Rock Band

2»

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,301
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Neil Young
    Southern rock was what I meant but fuck all you Rod Stewart fans anyway
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,898
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Neil Young

I figure this was the intent. Just gets confusing because a lot of the Southern Rock bands had a flair for country, especially Marshall Tucker.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,541
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Marshall Tucker Band
    I have never voted for anyone that has ever won. Politics and Music
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,234
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Allman Brothers

The Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Marshall Tucker Band are quintessential southern rock. Neil Young, not so much. He fits a lot better in the "folk rock" and "country rock" genres.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,614
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

The Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd and Marshall Tucker Band are quintessential southern rock. Neil Young, not so much. He fits a lot better in the "folk rock" and "country rock" genres.
    Wrong...Neil doesn't fit a genre.

Right...The Allman Brothers Band. Sorta anyways. They were from the south,and they got more southern sounding sans Duane Allman.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,234
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Allman Brothers
    chuck said:

Right...The Allman Brothers Band. Sorta anyways. They were from the south,and they got more southern sounding sans Duane Allman.
    Music is subjective, but IMO Neil Young's music spans a number of genres including folk, country rock, rock, pop, and pre-grunge, but not so much southern rock. The Allman Brothers though, only sorta southern rock? C'mon. I'd argue that they elevated the genre with influences from other genres and that their zenith was during the time Duane Allman was alive. The guy was a true guitar genius. Too bad he went full James Dean on a Harley.

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,898
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Neil Young

chuck said:

Music is subjective, but IMO Neil Young's music spans a number of genres including folk, country rock, rock, pop, and pre-grunge, but not so much southern rock. The Allman Brothers though, only sorta southern rock? C'mon. I'd argue that they elevated the genre with influences from other genres and that their zenith was during the time Duane Allman was alive. The guy was a true guitar genius. Too bad he went full James Dean on a Harley.

The Allman Bros we the originator of the Southern Rock genre and its greatest group. I just voted Neil because he's my favorite of the artists Race listed.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,614
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

I guess the blues is a southern genre. If any white act that is blues based gets labeled as southern then I guess I can agreebut I thing the Allmans get that kabelmorwfoetheir region of origin than their style.

It's subjective like you said. The Allman Brothers have some popular (and good) tunes that have a little country twang to them. Their best stuff is all California, white boy blues and jams imo and there's none of the southern rebel pride infused like with the shit I immediately think of when southern or country rock bands are brought up.