Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Not sure I fit around here anymore...

13»

Comments

• Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    i agree. you should get the fuck out.
  • Options
    Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,648
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    mobey said:

Why are people excited?

Let's take a stroll down memory lane.

DJ followed by Lambo followed by Neu followed by Gilby followed by Ty followed by Sark.

Petersen, at least on paper, is the best coach we've had since DJ.

Remember when DJ got here, one concern was he couldn't recruit good enough players but he sure could develop them. And as the team got better, so did the recruits.

Petersen to UW from Boise State > Don James from Kent State.

I realize different eras, but I am drinking to the prospect that Petersen excels as the next, real HC at UW.
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Unlucky for you that Petersen isn't from Houston. You could change your handle to HoustonDoog and stick around to rub our noses in sark when Petersen fails, which as a former BSU coach he is sure to do. Too bad for doogs that UW couldn't have hired a new head football coach from such an obscure, unknown place as Kent State....... or Houston CC.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,448
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Pretty fun to look back at people's concerns about Petersen soon after he was hired, especially related to his recruiting and assistant coaches.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter

Do you honestly think that if Petersen goes 7-6 or 8-5 each year and starts loading up on 2* talent, that we're going to keep doogin' it up? No! We will be calling for his head on a platter. Our patience may even wear out after two years, given the preposterously easy schedule.

The man at the podium of that press conference looked happy and ready to take on a challenge. I did not see Charles Grodin up there wearily fielding questions.

College Doog summed it up perfectly- UW showed that it really wants to win and will take steps to get there. If Petersen doesn't work out, then the days of rationalizing mediocrity are over. Bring on the next coach! (Speaking of which, what's the buyout on Mora's contract in 2016?)

Hardy har har

• Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Tailgater sited on Jood's blog recently - funny random shit
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Tailgater sited on Jood's blog recently - funny random shit

Great link as always
  • Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Nobody paying attention should have allusions about the AP preseason poll meaning anything more than surplus print hanging on the inside wall of a wind blown one-holer out on the Palouse

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/huskyfootball/2014/08/17/huskies-ranked-in-ap-preseason-poll-for-first-time-in-11-years/#comments-page-subtitle
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes

Pretty fun to look back at people's concerns about Petersen soon after he was hired, especially related to his recruiting and assistant coaches.

Why? Are we now celebrating off season natties again?

I'm a numbers guy...don't regret my concerns one bit. Still have them. Hawkins and Koetter were both pretty sh!tty hires and they came from the same place with the same rep. Some numbers guy wrote an entire article on this a few days ago:

grantland.com/the-triangle/chris-petersen-washington-huskies-boise-state-broncos-coaching-success/

That being said, so far Peterman looks like he's got his sh!t together and has been doing the right things. I'm hopeful, but I'll wait on going full doog until a couple 10+ win seasons or so.

-HH

• Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,484
    Founders Club

I'm a numbers guy...don't regret my concerns one bit. Still have them. Hawkins and Koetter were both pretty sh!tty hires and they came from the same place with the same rep. Some numbers guy wrote an entire article on this a few days ago:

grantland.com/the-triangle/chris-petersen-washington-huskies-boise-state-broncos-coaching-success/

That being said, so far Peterman looks like he's got his sh!t together and has been doing the right things. I'm hopeful, but I'll wait on going full doog until a couple 10+ win seasons or so.

-HH

92-12. ONLY 2x Bryant Award Winner(Nat'l Coach of the Year). Won 2 BCS Bowels.
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,484
    Founders Club
    edited August 2014

-HH

Fucking Vanilla Double Poasts. Why can't I delete my own fucking poasts on this site? Fucking Stalin wannabe, Gulag media room belly laughing motherfuckers.
  • Options

-HH

Have you seen the list of Bryant award winners? Can't say that is the list of who's who in coaching...just as much bad as good in that list. The list since James won it in 1991:

1991 Don James Washington
    1992 Gene Stallings Alabama
    1993 Terry Bowden Auburn
    1994 Rich Brooks Oregon
    1995 Gary Barnett Northwestern
    1996 Bruce Snyder Arizona State
    1997 Lloyd Carr Michigan
    1998 Bill Snyder Kansas State
    1999 Frank Beamer Virginia Tech
    2000 Bob Stoops Oklahoma
    2001 Larry Coker Miami (FL)
    2002 Jim Tressel Ohio State
    2003 Nick Saban LSU
    2004 Tommy Tuberville Auburn
    2005 Mack Brown Texas
    2006 Chris Petersen Boise State
    2007 Mark Mangino Kansas
    2008 Kyle Whittingham Utah
    2009 Chris Petersen Boise State
    2010 Gene Chizik Auburn
    2011 Mike Gundy Oklahoma State
    2012 Bill O'Brien Penn State
    2013 Gus Malzahn Auburn

Being sandwiched around Tuberville, Mack, Mangino, Whittingham, and Chizik doesn't give me warm fuzzies. And as the article pointed out, Hawkins had just as much name recognition as Peterman has when he came here.

Hey, I've liked a lot what Peterman has done since hired, but if you think we are guaranteed success and Rose Bowels in the next couple years just because we hired a successful BSU coach...well, more power to you. Hope it happens.

-HH
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,536
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Do you honestly think that if Petersen goes 7-6 or 8-5 each year and starts loading up on 2* talent, that we're going to keep doogin' it up? No! We will be calling for his head on a platter. Our patience may even wear out after two years, given the preposterously easy schedule.

The man at the podium of that press conference looked happy and ready to take on a challenge. I did not see Charles Grodin up there wearily fielding questions.

College Doog summed it up perfectly- UW showed that it really wants to win and will take steps to get there. If Petersen doesn't work out, then the days of rationalizing mediocrity are over. Bring on the next coach! (Speaking of which, what's the buyout on Mora's contract in 2016?)

Bump
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

-HH

Have you seen the list of Bryant award winners? Can't say that is the list of who's who in coaching...just as much bad as good in that list. The list since James won it in 1991:

1991 Don James Washington
    1992 Gene Stallings Alabama
    1993 Terry Bowden Auburn
    1994 Rich Brooks Oregon
    1995 Gary Barnett Northwestern
    1996 Bruce Snyder Arizona State
    1997 Lloyd Carr Michigan
    1998 Bill Snyder Kansas State
    1999 Frank Beamer Virginia Tech
    2000 Bob Stoops Oklahoma
    2001 Larry Coker Miami (FL)
    2002 Jim Tressel Ohio State
    2003 Nick Saban LSU
    2004 Tommy Tuberville Auburn
    2005 Mack Brown Texas
    2006 Chris Petersen Boise State
    2007 Mark Mangino Kansas
    2008 Kyle Whittingham Utah
    2009 Chris Petersen Boise State
    2010 Gene Chizik Auburn
    2011 Mike Gundy Oklahoma State
    2012 Bill O'Brien Penn State
    2013 Gus Malzahn Auburn

Being sandwiched around Tuberville, Mack, Mangino, Whittingham, and Chizik doesn't give me warm fuzzies. And as the article pointed out, Hawkins had just as much name recognition as Peterman has when he came here.

Hey, I've liked a lot what Peterman has done since hired, but if you think we are guaranteed success and Rose Bowels in the next couple years just because we hired a successful BSU coach...well, more power to you. Hope it happens.

-HH
    IT's amazing how coaching awards don't really mean shit. Many dreck coaches have won that award since 1991.
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @Passion : Looks like it is time for you to start jumping up and down and screaming like a little girl

I hope it works out, and I think the chances are >50% that it will. But I'm also not completely doogin' in my pants. Recruit and develop great players and get us to the pac-12 championship game. Then I'll jump and scream like an 8 year-old girl.
  • Options

You could the same argument if we hired Saban. Will he recruit like he did at Michigan state where he was average since we're not down south where big line talent falls off trees like ripe fruit? Are we all going to die? Everyone here is in wait and see mode. But it was a great hire. Don't be afraid of success. It could happen. None of us know shit one weekinto his time hehere

Good take. Glad I didn't embarrass myself in this thread like @HoustonHusky
    Point taken. We are now at a couple 10+ win seasons, so I'm full dooging it.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Think I'm the only one not real excited and dooging it up about the Peterson hire. The press conference made me feel a bit better, but its hard getting over the history of the previous 2 BSU coaches moving on and cratering at their next stop. Add to that he's basically admitted he was burned out at BSU and needed a change to get excited...hell even Seven Win Sark curb-stomped him...and now we just gave him $18 million and 5 years (6 if Pool Boy ever disappears) to feel very comfortable.

The chaos around his staff doesn't help my feeling either. He's going to have probably 3x or more the assistant salary pool to pay that he had @ BSU...am I the only one concerned he's going to bring most of this staff over? Anyone else think its a bit suspicious that they are all magically diamonds in the rough that are really worth 3x their current salaries? I could give a flip if he wants to keep Wilcox or Tosh or even Tui (think that one would be smart though)...I do give a flip if he thinks he can magically port over an entire assistant coaching staff from the MWC and suddenly and magically recruit and compete well in the Pac12. Add to that his now infatuation of chasing down a BSU QB commit when we have 3 young QBs on the roster already that were top 10 in their classes as we shed the few defensive recruits we have (and no OL recruits) and it doesn't add to my comfort level. And I hope to God everyone around here doesn't start dooging it up on saying our future 2* and 3* recruits are really better than everyone else's 4* recruits. Sure coaching is key, but coaching 4*s up is a hell of alot better than coaching 2*s up. Lets see it in action at this level instead of the MWC before we start throwing parades.

Just don't get why this doesn't scare people more.