Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Monsanto owners call weed killer 'safe' after jury orders big payout

Comments

• Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,569
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    The cgi they do on the rock in the movies is nothing short of incredible
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,529
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I use roundup all the time on my property - it is my inheritance to my kids if they get a good lawyer
  • USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The tldr version is the World Health Org decided that RoundUp ‘probably‘ caused cancer, without confirmation or scientific proof, and put it on their list of banned items. That was good enough for California who followed suit, based on that ruling alone. Now they have a jury making an award based on a ‘probably’.

I’m not a fan of my food being sprayed with with weed control chemicals but this one will be overturned once it gets appealed out of the CA courts.
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,857
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    From what I read, it looks like the courts had Monsanto scientists square off against UN scientists. Which is really stupid, because both groups have their own interests in mind. And it looks like the courts got it wrong considering that independent science agencies have found no strong correlation between glyphosate and cancer.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

From what I read, it looks like the courts had Monsanto scientists square off against UN scientists. Which is really stupid, because both groups have their own interests in mind. And it looks like the courts got it wrong considering that independent science agencies have found no strong correlation between glyphosate and cancer.

The science is settled. 97% of all scientists who have ever lived say it doesn’t cause cancer.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750

USMChawk said:

The tldr version is the World Health Org decided that RoundUp ‘probably‘ caused cancer, without confirmation or scientific proof, and put it on their list of banned items. That was good enough for California who followed suit, based on that ruling alone. Now they have a jury making an award based on a ‘probably’.

I’m not a fan of my food being sprayed with with weed control chemicals but this one will be overturned once it gets appealed out of the CA courts.

Yeah, you sure wouldn’t want technology that helps feed billions of people in light of the fact that 30 years ago the drumbeat was how there is no way enough food could be produced to feed future populations. Now starvation only exists where corrupt government exists. The abundance of food didn’t happen with concert fundraisers and handouts, it happened through technology and the free market. Abundance bitches!!
    The trade off is that our food is absolute Shit and the majority of the population is 30 lbs over weight. There were better ways to integrate more efficient growing techniques to increase yields.
  • USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    California has an excess of illegal aliens and a controversial weed killer that’s going to need a replacement. I think I see a solution.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    salemcoog said:

USMChawk said:

Yeah, you sure wouldn’t want technology that helps feed billions of people in light of the fact that 30 years ago the drumbeat was how there is no way enough food could be produced to feed future populations. Now starvation only exists where corrupt government exists. The abundance of food didn’t happen with concert fundraisers and handouts, it happened through technology and the free market. Abundance bitches!!
    The trade off is that our food is absolute Shit and the majority of the population is 30 lbs over weight. There were better ways to integrate more efficient growing techniques to increase yields.
    People are overweight because they overeat and don't workout because they "don't have enough time" because 4 hours of Netflix every night isn't going to watch itself.

I agree that there is an abundance of processed bullshit but people could choose to make better choices in lieu of convenience.
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,857
    Standard Supporter
    salemcoog said:

USMChawk said:

It's not like farmers are only producing unhealthy foods. We have access to plenty of healthy foods as well. Go to the store and buy as many fruits, vegetables and 100% whole grains you want. If anybody's diet is shitty, that's 100% on them for the choices they make.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,529
    Swaye's Wigwam

salemcoog said:

USMChawk said:

It's not like farmers are only producing unhealthy foods. We have access to plenty of healthy foods as well. Go to the store and buy as many fruits, vegetables and 100% whole grains you want. If anybody's diet is shitty, that's 100% on them for the choices they make.
    Nah - it is the fast food industry.