Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Round 2 (late 80's to present) - #1 Nirvana vs #8 Pearl Jam

2»

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    #8 Pearl Jam
    I was always more PJ than Nirvana but I’m slow strategy as fuck ...

Agree with Dennis regarding SLTS ... probably the best song of the 90s

The question I have with Nirvana is does that song carry them going forward? What are Nirvana’s Top 2-3 songs outside of SLTS? It’s those songs that always made PJ >>> Nirvana for me
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    #1 Nirvana
    Tequilla said:

I was always more PJ than Nirvana but I’m slow strategy as fuck ...

Agree with Dennis regarding SLTS ... probably the best song of the 90s

The question I have with Nirvana is does that song carry them going forward? What are Nirvana’s Top 2-3 songs outside of SLTS? It’s those songs that always made PJ >>> Nirvana for me

Take your pick of these 5.

Honestly I could name 6 Nirvana songs a lot faster than 6 PJ songs (even without using any of the covers off of the GOAT unplugged album), and PJ has about 3000 more songs.

Lithium
    Come As You Are
    All Apologies
    About A Girl
    Heart Shaped Box

If we're ranking PJ/Nirvana songs, personally I'd go

SLTS

Black
    Lithium
    About a Girl
    Come As You Are
    Heart Shaped Box
    Alive
    Even Flow
    All Apologies
    Yellow Ledbetter
    Jeremy
    Daughter
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    #8 Pearl Jam
    Not thinking per se vs PJ ... thinking future rounds

Come As You Are is very good and probably 2nd for me

Heart Shaped Box I’ve never liked much (probably because of the video)

Lithium is probably my 3rd

The older I get and the more removed I am from associating the music with the video Nirvana has grown on me. That said it’s a little to lot darker than Pearl Jam and I tend to not want to go to dark places when listening to music
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,821
    section8 said:

Nirvana are fast strategy heroes. SLTS was the defining song of the 90s and for some reason around here people act like fucking Nirvana was a boy band.

Pearl Jam are a bunch of kids from Bellevue and a depressed guy from San Diego.

Are there even any fast strategy kids in Bellevue?
    They're imported from Federal Way, August-December.
    They live in the Crossroads neighborhood
    Funny - they don't look dot Indian.

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,898
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 Nirvana
    Red Mosquito is an underrated Pearl Jam song.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    #8 Pearl Jam

Nirvana are fast strategy heroes. SLTS was the defining song of the 90s and for some reason around here people act like fucking Nirvana was a boy band.

Mystical Tea Jesus POTD
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 Nirvana

Vedder, because he's still alive and the other guy isn't. No question Nirvana is the better band. But Pearl Jam had to age and gets judged on a larger body of work, while Nirvana benefits from a ton of undeserved credit from Cobain's suicide. Great music, some of the best to listen to when you're in an angry mood, but get fucked if you think he was the spokesman of a generation. I know there's at least one douchey fanboy here who voted Cobain because of the myth. Not that it matters, but I'm canceling out your vote.

You make a decent point, but does anyone who isn’t a die hard fan give a fuck about any Pearl Jam song after the mid 90’s?
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    #8 Pearl Jam

Vedder, because he's still alive and the other guy isn't. No question Nirvana is the better band. But Pearl Jam had to age and gets judged on a larger body of work, while Nirvana benefits from a ton of undeserved credit from Cobain's suicide. Great music, some of the best to listen to when you're in an angry mood, but get fucked if you think he was the spokesman of a generation. I know there's at least one douchey fanboy here who voted Cobain because of the myth. Not that it matters, but I'm canceling out your vote.

You make a decent point, but does anyone who isn’t a die hard fan give a fuck about any Pearl Jam song after the mid 90’s?

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,898
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #1 Nirvana
    Meanwhile, the band that got absolutely destroyed by Nirvana is selling out Safeco for a 2 night stand beginning this evening. I like a number of PJ tracks, but sweet Jesus are they overrated in the big scheme of things.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,821

Meanwhile, the band that got absolutely destroyed by Nirvana is selling out Safeco for a 2 night stand beginning this evening. I like a number of PJ tracks, but sweet Jesus are they overrated in the big scheme of things.

That's what happens when the lead singer doesn't put a gun in his mouth.

• Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    #8 Pearl Jam
    Pearl Jam show last night was awesome. Their evolution and longevity puts them easily ahead of Nirvana.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,775
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    This pole is invalid.

#8. ????????!!!!!
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    #8 Pearl Jam
    Don’t you mean Nirvana vs Mookie Blaylock?
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:

I hate myself right now, but I had no choice. Blowing your face off is actually way cooler than Eddie Vedder.

Unless GNR can take down Nirvana in the Sweet 16, the number #1 Nirvana vs #2 Metallica matchup appears ever more probable.
    That might be the best Sweet 16 matchup. Weak bracket but hell of an S16 game. E8 too, whoever faces Mettalica.
    And if #1 plays number #2 you can't give me too much crap on the seedings unless you think Alice in Chains would have gotten past Nirvana and Soundgarden.
    Stacking the grunge bands against each other in the first two rounds was kind of lame. Should have spread them out like the tourney does teams from the same conference.
    Oh the irony of placing Beastie Boys against NWA.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    #1 Nirvana
    DeepSeaZ said:

Don’t you mean Nirvana vs Mookie Blaylock?

dnc said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:

I hate myself right now, but I had no choice. Blowing your face off is actually way cooler than Eddie Vedder.

Unless GNR can take down Nirvana in the Sweet 16, the number #1 Nirvana vs #2 Metallica matchup appears ever more probable.
    That might be the best Sweet 16 matchup. Weak bracket but hell of an S16 game. E8 too, whoever faces Mettalica.
    And if #1 plays number #2 you can't give me too much crap on the seedings unless you think Alice in Chains would have gotten past Nirvana and Soundgarden.
    Stacking the grunge bands against each other in the first two rounds was kind of lame. Should have spread them out like the tourney does teams from the same conference.
    Oh the irony of placing Beastie Boys against NWA.
    Huh? They're not the least bit similar.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,073
    Swaye's Wigwam

Montana, Seattle (private school), Seattle (public school), San Diego. Not certain where the drummer(s) were from.