Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Can we talk record players?

Thinking of doing a nice little Sonos wireless set up and considering a u-turn orbit, Rega planar I, and Pro-Ject essential III. Would hook up the record player to a Sonos Play 5, then have play 1’s and a Beam for the TV, maybe grab the accompanying sub if needed in the future. Anyone fucked with a system like that? Also considering Audio Pro Addon c10 etc but doesn’t have that seamless integration with Alexa yet.

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Axe @RaceBannon about record players. He's still got a wind up Victrola and all the Scott Joplin 78's.

Swaye's Wigwam
    Both the Rega P1 and Project Debut III are great entry level TT's. The Project was my first TT but I now have a Rega P3. The Rega costs a bit more at $475 vs around $300 but is overall a better player. Don't buy the U-Turn; it's crap.

You're also going to need a Phono pre-amp to plug into the Sonos set up. Rega makes a good one for about $175.

If you live in Seattle, Hawthorne Stereo in the Roosevelt Hood is the best local dealer and they will take good care of you. If you choose to buy on-line, check our MusicDirect.com.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Both the Rega P1 and Project Debut III are great entry level TT's. The Project was my first TT but I now have a Rega P3. The Rega costs a bit more at $475 vs around $300 but is overall a better player. Don't buy the U-Turn; it's crap.

You're also going to need a Phono pre-amp to plug into the Sonos set up. Rega makes a good one for about $175.

If you live in Seattle, Hawthorne Stereo in the Roosevelt Hood is the best local dealer and they will take good care of you. If you choose to buy on-line, check our MusicDirect.com.

Our?
    Swaye's Wigwam

Our?
    They are located in Northern Illinois.
  • ThebourbinatorThebourbinator Member Posts: 664
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

I was reading one websites take on the uturn vs the Rega and it seemed horribly biased in favor of the uturn, basically beating out Rega in every category, then at the end they were like “with all of this in mind we still think Rega beats it out by just a little bit.”

As for pre-amp, the Sonos play 5 has line-input so I should be able to hook it up and be ready to roll with no pre amp if I go that route.

Thanks for the info, I may just wait until I’m back in Seattle next and pay them a visit.
    Swaye's Wigwam

I was reading one websites take on the uturn vs the Rega and it seemed horribly biased in favor of the uturn, basically beating out Rega in every category, then at the end they were like “with all of this in mind we still think Rega beats it out by just a little bit.”

As for pre-amp, the Sonos play 5 has line-input so I should be able to hook it up and be ready to roll with no pre amp if I go that route.

Thanks for the info, I may just wait until I’m back in Seattle next and pay them a visit.
    Right, but a line level input is only for normal level outputs coming out of something like a CD player or streaming device. The output coming from a phono cartridge on your record player is a much weaker signal and needs to be amplified before going into a line-level input.
  • ThebourbinatorThebourbinator Member Posts: 664
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited August 2018

Right, but a line level input is only for normal level outputs coming out of something like a CD player or streaming device. The output coming from a phono cartridge on your record player is a much weaker signal and needs to be amplified before going into a line-level input.
    Gotcha. Alright, back to the drawing board. They also have some Sonos Connect:amp that lets you hook up bookshelf/floor standing speakers to the whole Sonos system as well but it’s $500..

Edit: now I see, the turntable I was looking at when they were describing the setup had a built in preamp.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Gotcha. Alright, back to the drawing board. They also have some Sonos Connect:amp that lets you hook up bookshelf/floor standing speakers to the whole Sonos system as well but it’s $500..

Edit: now I see, the turntable I was looking at when they were describing the setup had a built in preamp.
    Vinyl is a pain in the ass.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Swaye's Wigwam

You stay the hell away from my Mint and Near Mint collection!!

Swaye's Wigwam

The fuck are you talking about? All "real" Krauts love vinyl.