Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Newsflash: the fade is a shitty play call

2»

Comments

• NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

You idiots are only looking at one side of the equation... The fade route is a low percentage play for BOTH sides. I.e., it has low completion percentage for the offense, but it's also incredibly unlikely to be intercepted.

It makes sense if you have a big WR who can go up and get it and you're worried about your QB throwing a pick, or you don't think your run blocking is good enough to convert.

It's a very common audible out of a run play in the red-zone. If the defense has a clear numbers advantage in the box, you audible to the fade, and if it's incomplete that's still better than a turnover or tackle for loss.

At that point you get time to make a new play-call based on what the defense is showing. Maybe you try a different run play, or you call a pass or play-action pass if you think they're going to stack the box agan.

You get out of an unfavourable look against your run play, plus you get a 1/3 chance at a TD, maybe higher depending on your QB/WR duo. If it's first down, that's a hell of a lot better than wasting a timeout in most situations.

Good point, except these numbers are for 2-point conversions specifically. You're better off calling a TO in this scenario.
    Yeah, only an idiot would call a fade on a 2-point coversion, unless you have supreme confidence in your QB and #1 WR, and get a favorable one-on-one matchup with that WR. Even then it's probably not the best play. I just roll my eyes at all the armchair experts who think the fade is a stupid play that never makes sense, regardless of situation, ignoring context when looking at stats.
  • NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

My favorite fade story is Pitt, when Wannstedt was there, running a fade on 4th and goal at the end of game. It fell incomplete but there was a penalty on the defense so Pitt got another shot. They ran another fade. It went incomplete. They lost.

Yeah that's a no balls move. Of course the other option is to run a more traditional and riskier pass play and if it goes wrong get shit about it for the rest of your life, see: Carroll, Pete & Bevell, Darrell.
  • AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

Or just say anything not running the ball is a shitty play.

In the NFL, the only time a run adds to win probability or expected points is in short yardage (<3 yards to go). So a two point conversion is literally one of the few times running the ball actually makes sense, and yet NFL coaches overwhelmingly call passes.

Figures.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    AIRWOLF said:

Or just say anything not running the ball is a shitty play.

In the NFL, the only time a run adds to win probability or expected points is in short yardage (<3 yards to go). So a two point conversion is literally one of the few times running the ball actually makes sense, and yet NFL coaches overwhelmingly call passes.

Figures.</p>
    Maff is hard even for football coaches
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Wait a minute. So when Sling had 1st & goal from the six against Colorado with two timeout and almost two minutes left in the game averaging 6ypc a fade wasn't the smartest play call?

I had read he is the smartest guy in the room.

Oh nevermind, that was your Co-OC that made that call. Good luck this year.

Wait a minute. So when Sling had 1st & goal from the six against Colorado with two timeout and almost two minutes left in the game averaging 6ypc a fade wasn't the
    dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Wait a minute. So when Sling had 1st & goal from the six against Colorado with two timeout and almost two minutes left in the game averaging 6ypc a fade wasn't the smartest play call?

Stanford beats you guys too.
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,701
    Mosster47 said:

Wait, I thought you coached at the highest classification in a football state?

Down 3 that playcall was conservative but fine for the reasons myself and Norwegian laid out.

The bigger problems were your shit QB underthrowing the route by 5 yards and your WR getting outmuscled and tossed to the ground.
  • SyphilisButterSyphilisButter Member Posts: 221
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Photogenic
    Mosster47 said:

Kill yourself.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,375
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Mosster47 said:

Kill yourself.
    LEAVE
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    PurpleJ said:

Mosster47 said:

Kill yourself.
    LEAVE
    I’m hearing it’s TUFF to get rid of syphillis
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,375
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

Mosster47 said:

Kill yourself.
    LEAVE
    I’m hearing it’s TUFF to get rid of syphillis
    Not if you run the ball every play.

Mosster47 said:

Wait, I thought you coached at the highest classification in a football state?

Down 3 that playcall was conservative but fine for the reasons myself and Norwegian laid out.

The bigger problems were your shit QB underthrowing the route by 5 yards and your WR getting outmuscled and tossed to the ground.
    It was a shitty fucking play call Pete Carroll. Just admit you fucked up and save your legacy.