Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

ATBSJBS

CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,708
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
Jake Browning, Washington
Must improve: Overextending

Like Grier, by NFL standards, Browning is a smaller quarterback with average-at-best arm strength. He can drive the ball a bit more impressively than Grier, and like his West Virginia counterpart, he owns the pocket in almost every occasion. Browning gets into trouble when he tries to do too much and holds the football seemingly forever behind the line of scrimmage in improvisation mode.

A few positive plays came on these prolonged scramble drills last year, but for the most part, Browning should've thrown the football away many times when instead he kept it, reversed his field -- in some instances, multiple times -- while attempting to elude many defenders and threw ill-advised passes. That tendency is telling. Browning has a intense urge to continually make plays, but part of thriving as a quarterback in the NFL is living to see the next play without making a game-changing mistake. He must accept throwing the football away right after he leaves the pocket if nothing is there isn't necessarily an indication of brutal quarterbacking. And it'll lead to him getting sacked fewer times as a senior.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-draft-here-are-the-flaws-next-years-top-quarterback-prospects-must-fix/

After reading the report on Herbert, I think this paragraph is more reflective of Browning:

You can identify the bad quarterbacks from the good quarterbacks even if you don't watch them throw the football. The bad quarterbacks are almost always abysmal under pressure. They sink into full-blown panic mode and in the worst cases, drop their head when their pocket isn't perfectly clean. The good ones seem natural, moving away from oncoming defenders, finding slivers of room to get rid of the football, and routinely keeping their head up.

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Trying to make plays without possessing the athleticism required to make them. I think that best sums up our boy Jake.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,465
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Lol if Browning gets drafted and ends up a decent NFL starter....this place will be a gold mine
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Really good write-up

In this day and age where people fixate in completion percentage, you get QBs that do whatever they can to avoid just throwing the ball away. I definitely feel like Browning falls in this category.

One area where Browning could get substantially better is finding dump off and escape throws to RBs or TEs for very nominal gains. These throws are substantially better than the running around circus.

As for Browning’s performance under pressure, I think a lot of it stems from his desire to not take big hits. On one hand, that’s important as a QB ... but moreso from taking unnecessary hits. Standing in the pocket and throwing a dime when you take a hit is significantly important to being an elite QB.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Lol if Browning gets drafted and ends up a decent NFL starter....this place will be a gold mine

Yeah, Psalm too!! Lolol
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Trying to make plays without possessing the athleticism required to make them. I think that best sums up our boy Jake.

I believe he should’ve won the Heisman last year. He doesn’t have the receivers or line necessary to be perfect and people bash him!!

He can’t do it all himself.
    3rd year in a row he has been robbed of the award
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Meek said:

I believe he should’ve won the Heisman last year. He doesn’t have the receivers or line necessary to be perfect and people bash him!!

He can’t do it all himself.
    3rd year in a row he has been robbed of the award
    Maybe a Special Heisman could be made at the last minute?
    potd