Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

WSU QB donates couch to science

Comments

• phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,055
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited June 2018
    Mom says he had CTE, but not blaming football, how can that be unless the parents beat the shit out of him? Is that a passive aggressive way of blaming the staff or offensive scheme? Honest question.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Not to dwell on the ugliness of it, but how do you trust an autopsy trying to find subtle signs of CTE on a brain obliterated by a 223 round

I have had the same queerys
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,428

Mom says he had CTE, but not blaming football, how can that be unless the parents beat the shit out of him? Is that a passive aggressive way of blaming the staff or offensive scheme? Honest question.

CTE doesn't have to cause it, but it could contribute. He could've struggled with depression for a number of years.
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,104
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

Not to dwell on the ugliness of it, but how do you trust an autopsy trying to find subtle signs of CTE on a brain obliterated by a 223 round

I guess they just check for atrophy in the pieces that are still intact, but tau deposits should still be able to be found regardless.

• Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    They are starting to go down some other avenues because athletes from many sports are starting to turn up with it.

I was reading the preliminary of a study that suggests inflammation could be a major contributor to it which would explain young kids who have been playing three sports since age six have a 65 year old brain by age 21. Athletes are always beat up no matter the age.
    Mosster47 said:

They are starting to go down some other avenues because athletes from many sports are starting to turn up with it.

I was reading the preliminary of a study that suggests inflammation could be a major contributor to it which would explain young kids who have been playing three sports since age six have a 65 year old brain by age 21. Athletes are always beat up no matter the age.

Like inflammation anywhere in the body?
    Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Yes, excessive inflammation. So your distance runners that always have some kind of joint problem from the pounding, basketball players that are always banging and getting hacked, etc.

I think it has some legs. If athletes in general have a much higher percentage of CTE across the board than a tech kid that has never ran more than 10 feet then it makes some sense.

Until they find a way to test for it while people are still alive then it will mostly be guess work.
    This is really chinteresting, and dramatically changes the narrative. It's no longer about head chinjuries (at least not exclusively). This puts every sport in the crosshairs.

Dark shit man.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Yes, excessive inflammation. So your distance runners that always have some kind of joint problem from the pounding, basketball players that are always banging and getting hacked, etc.

I think it has some legs. If athletes in general have a much higher percentage of CTE across the board than a tech kid that has never ran more than 10 feet then it makes some sense.

Until they find a way to test for it while people are still alive then it will mostly be guess work.
    This is really chinteresting, and dramatically changes the narrative. It's no longer about head chinjuries (at least not exclusively). This puts every sport in the crosshairs.

Dark shit man.
    Not every

• PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,374
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Its almost like life is inherently dangerous

You mean people living on average 50+ years after they reach their physical peak could have negative effects on their health?

Do tell...
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    This kind of shit would lead you to believe anyone who ever played Pop Warner football is like some barely functioning zombie.

Fucking horseshit

This kind of shit would lead you to believe anyone who ever played Pop Warner football is like some barely functioning zombie.

Fucking horseshit

A 21 year old QB who almost never gets touched had the brain of a 65 year old with progressed CTE. When do you think it started exactly? The Friday before he killed himself?

I'm fairly certain I have it and my EEG, CT, and everything else comes back perfect. The research is in its infancy, but it would be foolish to disregard any probable cause.