Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Which program - should they win another NT - replace SC or ND on Mt Rushmore?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
Alabama and tOSU are very safe on Mt. Rushmore. USC and ND with their continued suckiness have seats that are getting warmer. Tick, tick, tick...

Which school should replace either ND or SC if they win a NT in the next few years?

Which program - should they win another NT - replace SC or ND on Mt Rushmore? 20 votes

Oklahoma
55%
RaceBannonDawgtonaUWhuskytskeetGladstonedncbiak1huskyhooligangodawgstIce_HolmvikYellowSnowWaSooner 11 votes
Miami
10%
creepycougRDR 2 votes
Florida State
5%
Doogles 1 vote
Nebraska
5%
whlinder 1 vote
Michigan
5%
Rubberfist 1 vote
Texas
5%
jhfstyle24 1 vote
Write-in Option
15%
oregonblitzkriegKaepskneeAUBURNTROJAN 3 votes

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,706
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oklahoma
    47 straight
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2018
    Oklahoma
    If Mt Rushmore was only about 1983 to the present, then Miami is a lock with another NT. But it's not; pre 1983 resume matters.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oklahoma
    Winsapedia doesn't do post season so this doesn't include an ass kicking in the BCS by USC over OU. SC pretty much has them in every measure

Swaye's Wigwam
    Oklahoma

47 straight

And Bud got 31 straight from 1948- 50. Tuff.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oklahoma
    And USC respects us more @creepycoug
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oklahoma

The problem with Crêpe is the 5 NT's since college football began in 1983. The only progrum with mor over the same time period is Bammer.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oklahoma
    ND owns the head to head with OU but the rest of the stats are closing in. ND leads 8-2 including breaking the 47 game streak

But OU is far more of a recent power even if you go back to 1960 or so. ND cleaned up in the 30's and 40's which is what established them in the first place

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,702
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Miami

47 straight

Except that with a change of but one letter, they can go from being fierce to being unmanly.

That disqualifies.

That, and Miami's knack for beating them when they're holding a #1 ranking, puts Miami over OklahomA.

Sorry. I'm right.
    Miami

If Mt Rushmore was only about 1983 to the present, then Miami is a lock with another NT. But it's not; pre 1983 resume matters.

Less and less so.

I have a good and natural temporal cut-off on which we could all agree: pre-integration of the gayme doesn't count, or if you must count them, they should be discounted by 1/3 or something.

When the brothers weren't allowed to play, it wasn't tuff.
    Miami

Hey, Miami REALLY respects Washington too. What with the streak and all ....

One other tie-in: EVERYBODY with a brain knows that Miami or Washington 2000 throttle 2000 Oklahoma. That's a crappy title.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oklahoma
    Miami is 4 to 3 head to head and out of the picture in everything else

Miami

Winsapedia doesn't do post season so this doesn't include an ass kicking in the BCS by USC over OU. SC pretty much has them in every measure

Good data here. Pete Carroll did a lot to keep USC on Mt Rushmore. If not for him they'd be gone based on a nearly 40 year NT drought. I'm more likely to give ND the boot before USC.
    W/o question: you get rid of the Carroll run, and the bloom is completely off the rose at SC. ND beat them something like 14 years in a row, and there were some SHITTY ND teams during that run. That's inexcusable for a rivalry gayme.

SC owes Pete a lot.
    Miami

USC is still very much safe. They've at least won a National Title in the 2000's. They have won 7 major bowls since 2000, and have not had one losing season since 2000.

ND on the other hand has not won a major bowl since 1991, half of this board's posters weren't alive then. They also have had 4 losing seasons since 2000. ND shouldn't really be on the mountain anymore. Oklahoma should have surpassed them a few years ago.

I get football was around before 2000, and Notre Dame's history is stellar, but you can't go 27 years without a major bowl win and be considered on Mount Rushmore.

All fare poonts.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oklahoma

Less and less so.

I have a good and natural temporal cut-off on which we could all agree: pre-integration of the gayme doesn't count, or if you must count them, they should be discounted by 1/3 or something.

When the brothers weren't allowed to play, it wasn't tuff.
    I can get behind 1970 give or take as when "modern" college football began- i.e., most of SEC integrated and unlimited substitution. But Oklahomo won 2 NT's in the 1970s so they were skrong in this era too.

Plus they have a great big on campus stadium. If you care about football at your school you have a have a stadium. BUILD YOUR OWN STADIUM AND GET AN AVATAR YOU GOD DAMNED OLIVE OIL SAVAGE!!
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma was a major part of the integration of south / southwest football in the 60's. It took Howard and Jimmy to drag Miami there
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Oklahoma
    Let's say UW decides to shut down football and Pete has to find a job. Every school in America offers him, and he decides he doesn't care about anything but winning a title. Where do you think this elite coach is going?

1. Alabama - there's no better place to win
    2. USC - We know Pete doesn't want to coach there, but humor me
    3. tOSU - right there with anybody

So it's the fourth spot that is up for grabs. I think he's going to Oklahoma 100 years before ND. I'm not sure ND is top 10 in this metric at this point.

Bama
    USC
    tOSU
    Oklahoma
    Florida
    Texas
    Florida St
    LSU
    Michigan
    Miami
    ND

I get it, Rushmore is about what you've done, whereas this poast is about what you can do. But these rankings are far more pertinent.
    Miami

Miami is 4 to 3 head to head and out of the picture in everything else

In all seriousness, Oklahoma is a hard program to get out of the conversation. But I'm actually impressed that Miami is as close to them as they are on several measures given how much longer Oklahoma has been a football power.

People forget that not that long b4 the stupid af SI article, in which a panicking on-cycle teenage girl thought Miami should drop football, the school itself was considering dropping the sport. That Miami is anywhere near Oklahoma in anything is almost embarrassing for Oklahoma.

Nick Saban's Dad is the real original author of what Miami would become. He's the one who first started talking local studs into staying to play for the local school rather than heading north to freeze in Ohio, Indiana and Michigan. Think Ruben Carter, back when there was no reason for a guy like that to sign on to Miami. Lou Saban is my Huckleberry.

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Oklahoma
    But if we're just talking "what have you done" USC, Bama and ND are a notch about tOSU. It's the Buckeyes that are closest to losing their spot to OU on that list. Top of my head without researching it I think I'd actually take OU over tOSU.