Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Total Endowments - Top 6 Football Schools vs Top 6 Row Boat Schools

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
2017 Final Top 6 AP Rankings

Alabama - $683 Million
Georgia - $1.2 Billion
Oklahoma - $1.65 Billion
Clempson - $630 Million
Ohio State - $4.2 Billion
UCF - $155 Million
Total - $8.5 Billion

Men’s Varsity 8 Grand Final – 2018 IRA Regatta

Yale - $27.2 Billion
Worshington - $3.3 Billion
California - $4.3 Billion
Harvard - $37.1 Billion
Princeton - $23.8 Billion
Brown - $3.5 Billion
Total - $99.3 Billion

Sad. How can these football schools be so dirt pour and still have the MONEY, Tradition, and Location to be elite?

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,705
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Alabama - $683 Million
    Georgia - $1.2 Billion
    Oklahoma - $1.65 Billion
    Clempson - $630 Million
    UCF - $155 Million
    Total - $8.5 Billion

Yale - $27.2 Billion
    Harvard - $37.1 Billion
    Brown - $3.5 Billion
    Total - $99.3 Billion

Sad. How can these football schools be so dirt pour and still have the MONEY, Tradition, and Location to be elite?

I'll take "undergraduates are being sold a Ford Pinto" for $250,000 Alex.

Flagship state school undergrad is a damn puppy mill. I can remember when we had room for everyone in a Hayne in Kane class. Now they're watching in the hallways on monitors. I have bro' whose kid is at Cal and it's worse there. Freshman and Sophomores especially are being educated en mass and the quality is shit.

But who wants to watch Middlebury v. Tufts in football?
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    Swaye's Wigwam

Alabama - $683 Million
    Georgia - $1.2 Billion
    Oklahoma - $1.65 Billion
    Clempson - $630 Million
    UCF - $155 Million
    Total - $8.5 Billion

Yale - $27.2 Billion
    Harvard - $37.1 Billion
    Brown - $3.5 Billion
    Total - $99.3 Billion

Flagship state school undergrad is a damn puppy mill. I can remember when we had room for everyone in a Hayne in Kane class. Now they're watching in the hallways on monitors. I have bro' whose kid is at Cal and it's worse there. Freshman and Sophomores especially are being educated en mass and the quality is shit.

By the way, Don Quixote Kewg, don't be showing up at Middleburry anytime soon with your opinions on eugenics and what not. They'll riot and burn the motherfucker down in no tim.

Alabama - $683 Million
    Georgia - $1.2 Billion
    Oklahoma - $1.65 Billion
    Clempson - $630 Million
    UCF - $155 Million
    Total - $8.5 Billion

Yale - $27.2 Billion
    Harvard - $37.1 Billion
    Brown - $3.5 Billion
    Total - $99.3 Billion

By the way, Don Quixote Kewg, don't be showing up at Middleburry anytime soon with your opinions on eugenics and what not. They'll riot and burn the motherfucker down in no tim.
    Damn straight they wood.

I didn't take Rocks; wasn't a jock. I took micro and macro from Paul Heyne, who had the largest head and face I've ever seen on a human being. I had to share the experience with 700 of my close frens, so Heyne and I didn't get to know each other, but he was a good prof and good at teaching the economis. I lerned.

You're poor because you are too far removed from your immigrant roots. Hopefully your kids won't be pour and on the welfare like Race when he was in Oklahoma ... during the Dust Bowl. That would be sad. Sad, really.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The picture improves slightly if you base off Mt Rushmore schools:

Notre Dame - $11.8 Billion
    USC - $5.1 Billion
    tOSU - $4.3 Billion
    Bammer - $683 Billion

Bammer doesnt' play school.
    Even more chintresting to the endo #s you shared are the ones we've discussed on PM ... I don't think the average person is aware just exactly how wealthy the Ivy League schools are, and are even less clued-in on the abject wealth at the small ivies.

When you consider Harvard, Yale and Stanford, sure those are big #s. But they're running small cities with huge and capital hungry grad and professional schools. The UW is one of the largest employers in Seattle. There is an army of employees there.

Compare and contrast Williams or Pomona or Amherst. $2.7+ billion, but w/o nearly the liability side of the balance sheet and the money is spent on less than 2,000 kids. The amount available as spend per student is embarrassing. And there's the next group of Wellesley, Bowdoin, Vassar, Wesleyan, Midd, Grinnell and some others in the $1 billion+ club.

The only state schools with huge financial resources are Michigan, A&M and Texas, and while their endowments are big, again, they have very big operations. It puts UW's 3.3 billion into perspective.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Even more chintresting to the endo #s you shared are the ones we've discussed on PM ... I don't think the average person is aware just exactly how wealthy the Ivy League schools are, and are even less clued-in on the abject wealth at the small ivies.

When you consider Harvard, Yale and Stanford, sure those are big #s. But they're running small cities with huge and capital hungry grad and professional schools. The UW is one of the largest employers in Seattle. There is an army of employees there.

Compare and contrast Williams or Pomona or Amherst. $2.7+ billion, but w/o nearly the liability side of the balance sheet and the money is spent on less than 2,000 kids. The amount available as spend per student is embarrassing. And there's the next group of Wellesley, Bowdoin, Vassar, Wesleyan, Midd, Grinnell and some others in the $1 billion+ club.

The only state schools with huge financial resources are Michigan, A&M and Texas, and while their endowments are big, again, they have very big operations. It puts UW's 3.3 billion into perspective.

UT's endowment is only slightly larger than UW at $3.6 Billion and they have 5,000 mor students. A&M is the outlier in the south with a $9.8 Billion endowment, but they are a sicko fucking cult so there's prolly some unwritten rule about tithing. Even the private schools in the Souf are dirt pour. Duke is $7.9 Billion and Vandy is $5.1. Miami is pathetic at $1.1 billion.

No question thought that the elite, faggy lib arts colleges still punch well above their class in monies. In comparison, a shitty one like SPU only has about $100 million in the bank.

UT's endowment is only slightly larger than UW at $3.6 Billion and they have 5,000 mor students. A&M is the outlier in the south with a $9.8 Billion endowment, but they are a sicko fucking cult so there's prolly some unwritten rule about tithing. Even the private schools in the Souf are dirt pour. Duke is $7.9 Billion and Vandy is $5.1. Miami is pathetic at $1.1 billion.

No question thought that the elite, faggy lib arts colleges still punch well above their class in monies. In comparison, a shitty one like SPU only has about $100 million in the bank.
    Good catch. I always think of UT as the wealthy state school down there, but it's A&M.
    edited June 2018

I put the church schools in their own category, and among them, the generically "Christian" schools, like SPU, are traditionally pore. ND and to a lesser extent, Georgetown, are the exceptions even among the Catholic schools. Also, I'd qualify the LAC comment: it's the ones in New England and update NY, the Cali consortium and Grinnell. The rest of the LACs mirror the big schools. Some have more than others, but none of them are on autopilot like the handful we've mentioned.

Yes, Miami is in need of an influx of money. They have fewer undergraduates and run a slightly smaller operation than UW, but not that much smaller. Much of Washington's endowment growth has been in the relatively recent past. It's not a school that has always had a lot of money. In my day, the place would have closed down without the fed feeding it research money ... thanks almost entirely to two influential senators. Olympia hasn't been scratching UW's operating budget for decades.
    *correction: Bama is $683 million. Man; they're pour.

Go there sometime. Their Greek row would make you think that all the money in the universe is right there in Tuscaloosa.
    ^Let's start an endowment board.
    Swaye's Wigwam

* Endowment / academis smack talk, dick measuring bored.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    rowing is for the rich apparently
    Swaye's Wigwam

Yes, and no. It's certainly not for the pour, but plenty of middle class kids on the rosters at UW, Cal, Wisco, Navy, etc on the men's side. On the women's side, if you have a daughter of 5'10" or more who can suffer through a little pain, it is by far the easiest path to a D I scholarship.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Yes, and no. It's certainly not for the pour, but plenty of middle class kids on the rosters at UW, Cal, Wisco, Navy, etc on the men's side. On the women's side, if you have a daughter of 5'10" or more who can suffer through a little pain, it is by far the easiest path to a D I scholarship.
    Good to know...
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    This thread delivers
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

UT has way more dough than AnM. Just looking at the university endowment neglects the Permanent University Fund, which is based on a bunch of oil wells in West Texas and stands around $32BN and counting.

AnM gets a share, which has been plowed into their endowment. But the PUF belongs to the UT System, and its campuses (mostly Austin) get the income from the endowment. There's a separate fund for the UT med schools. Also, there's three other funds managed by UT.

Hell, they own a billion dollars of gold.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/texas-wants-gold-back

But undergraduates don't get much benefit.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/21/ut-system-oil-money-gusher-its-administration-and-trickle-students/
    AZDuck said:

UT has way more dough than AnM. Just looking at the university endowment neglects the Permanent University Fund, which is based on a bunch of oil wells in West Texas and stands around $32BN and counting.

AnM gets a share, which has been plowed into their endowment. But the PUF belongs to the UT System, and its campuses (mostly Austin) get the income from the endowment. There's a separate fund for the UT med schools. Also, there's three other funds managed by UT.

Hell, they own a billion dollars of gold.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/texas-wants-gold-back

But undergraduates don't get much benefit.

https://www.texastribune.org/2017/08/21/ut-system-oil-money-gusher-its-administration-and-trickle-students/
    chinned for finding a legitimate use for "plowed", one of my favorite words.