Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Deserves Owen: "Oregon will be back in the playoff soon"

Thank @UWhuskytskeet for his service. The OP is too bombarded to bump the thread.
http://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/17474/oregon-will-be-back-in-the-playoff-soon/p1
Mosster47 said:

Initially it looked like Slingblade had the program going into the toilet. Recruiting under Slingblade is flat out better than under Chip.

The Ducks made a title game with Darron Thomas. I loved his clutch play but as far as ability he's the worst QB Oregon has had since before Bill Musgrave. He couldn't really run or throw.

The system isn't slowing down and it hasn't taken a step back. Sure, there will he some plays that the new guys won't make that Mariota probably would. Dixon, Masoli, Thomas, and Mariota all had different games. Dixon had Oregon to #2 in their first year in the system. Masoli had them in a Rose Bowl. Thomas had them in a title game. Mariota had them in a title game. Mahalack will have them doing big things.

The overall roster is bigger, stronger, and faster ever year. Slingblade isn't going anywhere and neither is Oregon, that is the reality. The Ducks will be back in the playoff within the next four years.

Mosster47 said:

Hi, Lambo went 7-4 his first two seasons with no bowl games while finishing 4th and 5th in the conference.

Slingblade went 11-2 and 13-2 his first two seasons with a an Alamo Bowl and Rose Bowl win with an appearance in the National Title Game. The Ducks tied for 1st in their division his first year and won the conference his second year. Both seasons ended with a Top 10 ranking in all polls.

You're right though, those sound like similar situations. UW went to shit instantly when their legend left. Oregon got better.

Mosster47 said:

Someone doesn't get it

No, I get it. There just isn't a joke here anymore. The bulk of us thought Slingblade was going to be a turd and after a two year body of work nothing suggests that he is.

You're back to running on Doog hope which is fantastic for all of us Quooks. The shit you come with on hope is priceless.
Mosster47 said:

You sound nervous

I've yet to hear from a nervous Duck fan. After last year everyone was shittin' bricks, sorry, shittin' rocks.

Larry Coker had 16 first round draft picks. Bill Doba is the only guy you can compare to Larry Coker. They were both given good/great teams as a retirement present. They won a bit, didn't recruit because they didn't care, and were way too nice so their players shit all over them.

Slingblade took over a juggernaut and after two seasons it firmly remains in that status.

Oregon started to get good at the end of Brooks, got way better under Bellotti, became elite under Chip, and are doing everything needed to stay elite under Slingblade.

UW was elite under Don James and went to shit regardless of the head coach after.

What we know is in modern college football that Oregon football is a success, not a coach. Don James was a success, not UW football. The facts are on my side. Congrats on your crystal ball, it's old enough that it can't be on its parent's health insurance anymore.
Mosster47 said:

People who think Helfraud will do the same or just be a fraction worse than Kelly didn't watch some of the Arizona and Stanford games...or the game on Monday.

Chip got his asshole pushed in by Boise State and Stanford. He also got physically dominated by Ohio State and Auburn in BCS Bowls. He also lost to Lane Kiffin at home. The LSU game was more sloppy play than getting dominated in any way.

Chip had three consecutive seasons where he needed to win a tight ball game to make the NC Game, he failed two of the three times.

Face it, Oregon isn't going anywhere. UW is going nowhere because of this.

Comments

• RubberfistRubberfist Member Posts: 1,373
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

The Huskies have more talent than they have ever had. All the receivers were freshman, the wonder twins. Damon Huard is better than Brunell. Kauffman and the stable of running backs are better than anything Oregon has. Breuner and the tight ends are great because its Washington. Every one who plays D line for Washington goes to the NFL. I was wrong about Lambo - he can coach.

Lambo hadn't coached yet in 93 and UW was on probation

Like I said you don't get it.

Things can change faster than you could ever think. Doesn't mean they will just means Mosster is fucking stupid as usual with his ever changing pronouncements.

Helfrich failed to match Coker who looked better than he does at this point in his career.

In 1992 the #1 ranked Huskies played top 10 Stanford o national television. The defending national champs beat the 2nd place Pac10 school 42-7. Hugh Millen called that the apex of the program. Leaving the stadium nobody knew that two weeks later the Seattle Times would break the Billy Joe Hobart story.

The Third Reich didn't last a thousand years. Shit happens. The only constant is change.

Hope this helps

Wise words. Just goes to show you that old people can be useful.

• PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,375
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

El oh fucking el. Mooster always told us about Slingblade driving the Ferrari off the cliff though!

@oregonblitzkrieg tells me the Ferrari was just in the shop and should be lapping us this year!
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Can we get that thread pinned?
  • DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Holy fucking shit. As a new poaster here I had no idea this thread existed.

This thread delivers from the Quooks.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,226
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    Sources said:

This is the kind of garbage that still pisses me off. I was lambasted for criticizing Helfrich consistently since the Tennessee home game in 2013. We won that game 59-14 mind you, but it was the sloppiest 45 point win I had ever seen. The confusion on the field was mind blowing.

Later that year it was also apparent that Helfrich had no idea how to get DeAnthony Thomas the football in space. Let that sink in...You have the most dynamic player in college football at the time, and our? head coach had no idea how to utilize him. This led to my referring Helfrich to the guy inheriting a Ferrari, and driving it regularly without changing it's oil.

My best friends during this time became acquaintances because they couldn't stand my "wrongful" distaste towards Helfrich, and I couldn't stand their unflinching support. Fast forward to a week after his firing, these same "friends" claimed they knew all along that Helfrich was in over his head.

To the HHB's, is this what the Ty and Sark years were like?

Pretty much. Helfrich is your Ty, and Taggert / Christobal is your Sark. The corollary is so spot on it's hilarious. A shit coach followed by a regime of sizzle and hype. This is why most here think Oregon is fucked.

Ty delivered an Owen, and it wasn't close. Sling Blade was bad, but closer to Gilby bad IMO. Miserable nonetheless. The Willie T/Crystalball era is full on Sarkasm, maybe worse. Couldn't have scripted that one better.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Sources said:

This is the kind of garbage that still pisses me off. I was lambasted for criticizing Helfrich consistently since the Tennessee home game in 2013. We won that game 59-14 mind you, but it was the sloppiest 45 point win I had ever seen. The confusion on the field was mind blowing.

Later that year it was also apparent that Helfrich had no idea how to get DeAnthony Thomas the football in space. Let that sink in...You have the most dynamic player in college football at the time, and our? head coach had no idea how to utilize him. This led to my referring Helfrich to the guy inheriting a Ferrari, and driving it regularly without changing it's oil.

My best friends during this time became acquaintances because they couldn't stand my "wrongful" distaste towards Helfrich, and I couldn't stand their unflinching support. Fast forward to a week after his firing, these same "friends" claimed they knew all along that Helfrich was in over his head.

Pretty much. Helfrich is your Ty, and Taggert / Christobal is your Sark. The corollary is so spot on it's hilarious. A shit coach followed by a regime of sizzle and hype. This is why most here think Oregon is fucked.

Ty delivered an Owen, and it wasn't close. Sling Blade was bad, but closer to Gilby bad IMO. Miserable nonetheless. The Willie T/Crystalball era is full on Sarkasm, maybe worse. Couldn't have scripted that one better.
    Gilby was worse than Ty
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Sources said:

Gilby was worse than Ty
    Gilby < Ty POTD.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    edited June 2018
    I'm kind of hoping we got lucky on the whole Sark part and maybe Cristoballz will be good.

There is evidence to support that hope, but not a lot

If Cisroballz is an average coach, with the staff + recruiting, we will be pretty good
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AZDuck said:

I'm kind of hoping we got lucky on the whole Sark part and maybe Cristoballz will be good.

There is evidence to support that hope, but not a lot

If Cisroballz is an average coach, with the staff + recruiting, we will be pretty good

The list of great assistants under James who sucked under Lambo and Gilby is a long one