Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

We? are Boise II!!! SUPER DUPER!!!

1235»

Comments

• KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    MisterEm said:

salemcoog said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The road to the riches that you seek would only be paved by a generational QB. Getting guys like Skinny, Browning and the others signed the last 2 years won’t cut the mustard. You’ll never be able to line up against the Bamas, Georgia’s and Clemson’s of the world trading face smashes. You need an elite dual threat QB. This wreaks of simplicity but it’s true.

Checks out. The Engrish coog comp.
    For all intensive purposes, I think were saying the same thing.
  • BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

It would be far better marketing to athletes if there were Peterson quotes talking about his ambitions of taking Washington to heights it has never seen before. When Rick said “Florida State of the West” that got me fired up. With Rick we never got there of course but I loved the idea of really going for it and not setting up safety nets.

He just said that to try and trick Lorenzo Booker into coming here.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Baphomet said:

It would be far better marketing to athletes if there were Peterson quotes talking about his ambitions of taking Washington to heights it has never seen before. When Rick said “Florida State of the West” that got me fired up. With Rick we never got there of course but I loved the idea of really going for it and not setting up safety nets.

He just said that to try and trick Lorenzo Booker into coming here.
    It worked on Charles Frederick.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Wow. Dennis is on a roll.

Here’s my take on the situation - people by and large are going to repeat behaviors and continue to say things that get them their desired result. The whole “Built for Life” rhetoric has for the most part worked for Petersen, so I’m not surprised he’s stuck with it. It’s a big part of his personal brand and parents/administrators eat it up.

However...

I do (hopefully not foolishly) believe Petersen is starting to realize that his old system isn’t going to get the program to the next level. I really think the man at his core wants to win national championships and isn’t content with a PAC-12 title here and there...if he was truly OK with good enough he would have stayed at Boise. Problem is that Pete (and most people who’ve hit a professional ceiling) is going to have to start changing it up and playing the game a little bit more. We’ve started to see those baby steps by him wearing Hawaiian shirts to recruit visits, making personnel moves, etc. But I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a two steps forward, one step back type of situation - we’ll still see some try hard white guy bullshit here and there as things evolve.

Finally, I do want to say @Dennis_DeYoung I appreciate you for being so outspoken about your frustrations. As much as I’ve enjoyed the past few years of Husky football it’s not the same Rose Bowl victories or titles. To put it another way, how would everyone feel if @Swaye launched into one of his patented Orkin Chronicle tales and it ended with, “...so I got kinda tipsy and just made out with a chick”? I’m sure his story would’ve been entertaining, but it’s not as much fun as the ones of him nailing a redhead - right?

That’s what I want for Pete and our? Huskies - I want them to seal the deal. No more foreplay.

SO MUCH FREE PUB
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I think the last time I saw this much hysterics from DDY it was over how the hiring of Scott Huff was a worse atrocity than the Holocaust. Or was it about how hiring Jen Cohen was a worse decision than when he chose to contract AIDS? Or was it about how stupid recruiting Texas is a week before Curne committed? I don't know; I get them all confused. The problem with hysterics is that, although the "I told you so" is so much sweeter, the "whoops..." is ten times as embarrassing. We'll see where this one goes.

Then again, the whole point of this board is basement-dwelling dipshits getting hysterical over teenagers chasing a ball, so by all means carry on!

As for Petersen Twittering out Boise stuff, A.) this is way less concerning than the annoying pimple in my ass crack, and B.) doesn't it seem to be the case that "Chris Petersen at Boise" is still a stronger brand than "UW Football"? My understanding is that 107% of football fans in the country ("the country" includes UW's recruiting footprint, so this is important stuff here) know that Chris Petersen is a badass coach who slayed giants at some tiny school in Wyoming called "Boise State." Like, maybe, 12 guys outside of the northwest know that Petersen now coaches at Washington, Washington isn't called "Washington University," and University of Washington has a P5 football program.

You can try just manufacturing marketing momentum and pitching the program, but this doesn't seem to be working. A season removed from a Fiesta Bowl appearance and two season removed from the playoffs, and nine people showed up to see the spring game, season ticket sales are hardly up, and five-star PSAs from Texas still don't know what state the school is in. The Athletic Department and football program can get all over Twitter with, "We're going to skullfuck our way all the way to the national championship, so get on board!" but it would be about as believable to those outside of King County as if Oregon State were to do it. For better or worse, "Chris Petersen the badass coach from Boise" is the star attraction of the program at the moment. I don't mind them trying to prime the marketing pump with this fact. "I won at Boise with nowhere NEAR the advantages here" is a real thing. Use it to stack classes, rack up wins, FINALLY avoid shitting the bed in big games, and then we can talk Washington itself being the draw. When the wins start piling up, the bandwagon is plum full of retard "Twelves," and highly-rated kids start knowing the program exists, fine, bury the Boise talk and act like big boys.

Or I'm FS and wrong.

If you had any brain at all you would realize you were making my point for me you fucking moron.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,704
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Motown said:

Here's a problem. Washington becomes the Boise St of the PAC 12, with Sark we had undercover USC in purple. What the hell is Washington after Chris Petersen? As much success urban Meyer has had , I don't link Ohio State to Florida.

Enjoying the trajectory of the program is one thing, but some of this rhetoric being put out let's everyone be ok if the program ultimately plateus as the try hard almost can, will root for you cause you're the good guys but no expectation that you will finish first and if you do it's because Petersen is awesome. Which sure is good

The program feels like it's a step away from being perennially great but we keep aiming for damn good. Can we stop gleaning from the Boise St experience and just talk Washington! No, because the sad thing is Boise St has somehow in the minds of many has been more successful than UW and that's crap.

Hell expect to be champions in football and champions in life. As my huksy arrogance comes out you'd think being built for life from the University of Washington (under consideration [considering HCH poasters) would be more significant than talking about being built out of Boise St. There is no reason UW should be under their flippin shadow

Boise has been more successful than our DWAGS
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

If you had any brain at all you would realize you were making my point for me you fucking moron.

Brains are for losers. I've coasted by on good looks for this long, so I'm sticking with that.