Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

I’m joining the Bill Simmons haters club

2»

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Anderson, filler salary and draft picks works for Lebron. If he goes to Houston that’s the deal.

So a terrible contract that puts the Cavs in a potentially terrible luxury tax situation, filler contracts worth nothing, and late 1st round draft picks of little value ... I’m sure Dan Gilbert is going to rush to the phones for that
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

Anderson, filler salary and draft picks works for Lebron. If he goes to Houston that’s the deal.

So a terrible contract that puts the Cavs in a potentially terrible luxury tax situation, filler contracts worth nothing, and late 1st round draft picks of little value ... I’m sure Dan Gilbert is going to rush to the phones for that
    I’ve got two possible reasons why. One, that might have been the deal when Lebron came back. Lebron is pretty smart and getting Gilbert to agree that if he wants to be traded somewhere Gilbert has to do it is a real possibility.

And two, Lebron is leaving Cleveland a hero. There will be no jersey burning. He can make this departure about Gilbert if he wants to and this time the fans will side with him. If you lose Lebron, have to rebuild and your fans are pissed at you you’re in a really bad spot. Or you can come out and say Lebron will always be a Cav, you’re going to build a statue of him outside the arena but he’s ready to move on to a different point in his career and you’re happy to help. Given how ugly things got last time that is a very good look.

Most importantly there’s no opportunity cost in this deal. The Cavs without Lebron stink, they’re over the cap regardless, Love will get traded, they can stretch JR to get under the luxury tax. They get late first round picks and really good pr for Ryan Anderson’s contract. No brainer deal.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Tequilla said:

I’ve got two possible reasons why. One, that might have been the deal when Lebron came back. Lebron is pretty smart and getting Gilbert to agree that if he wants to be traded somewhere Gilbert has to do it is a real possibility.

And two, Lebron is leaving Cleveland a hero. There will be no jersey burning. He can make this departure about Gilbert if he wants to and this time the fans will side with him. If you lose Lebron, have to rebuild and your fans are pissed at you you’re in a really bad spot. Or you can come out and say Lebron will always be a Cav, you’re going to build a statue of him outside the arena but he’s ready to move on to a different point in his career and you’re happy to help. Given how ugly things got last time that is a very good look.

Most importantly there’s no opportunity cost in this deal. The Cavs without Lebron stink, they’re over the cap regardless, Love will get traded, they can stretch JR to get under the luxury tax. They get late first round picks and really good pr for Ryan Anderson’s contract. No brainer deal.
    It’s s good argument, the only flaw is you’re assuming Dan Gilbert will operate like a rational human being.
  • allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

It’s s good argument, the only flaw is you’re assuming Dan Gilbert will operate like a rational human being.
    Fair.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,706
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Imagine a guy doted on most of his life that started out pretty miserable only to become the Chosen One at 16 acting like an entitled drama queen

I agree most of the distaste about Lebron is self inflicted because he seems really socially awkward in some respect and has for most of his career.

If you don't want to like him you can find a reason

MJ was criticized for selling shoes to Republicans. Lebron is not afraid to take on Trump #Courage
  • FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,222
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Tequilla said:

I just don't agree that the Cavs would have any reason to do anything for lebron at this point unless it helps them. Taking on a tank of a salary for 2 years while jettisoning your franchise player for a pick in the late first round is nuts. The % of 1st round picks outside the lottery that become anything other than role players is astronomical.

I could see gilbert/bron going to a team and eating a salary for a year(ie an irving), where you can keep the guy and hope he signs or you lose the salary obligation. But to take on anderson in this salary cap environment and get nothing in return is illogical. Just let bron walk at that point.

One thing gilbert knows is that he owns an asset that is vastly more valuable than when he bought it(even without James). He now has a title, and paid mucho money to ensure bron could make these runs. There is zero reason for him to take on any financial obligation unless it helps the team going forward.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    If anything, Gilbert is going to cash out at some point. I’ve heard rumors in the past of him wanting to own the Pistons instead of Cavs.
  • FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,222
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

If anything, Gilbert is going to cash out at some point. I’ve heard rumors in the past of him wanting to own the Pistons instead of Cavs.

Hard to find a way to get worse than cleveland, but if any owner can do it, gilbert can