Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

GOAT thread

2»

Comments

• NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

can’t support russell caz the league was so white

This. Also that the Celtics had a stacked team, no free agency, or salary cap. Eleven titles in a pro sports league is a huge accomplishment, but still.
    And being the champ of an 8/9 team league is significantly less of an accomplishment than winning one in a league of 30.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    NEsnake12 said:

This. Also that the Celtics had a stacked team, no free agency, or salary cap. Eleven titles in a pro sports league is a huge accomplishment, but still.
    And being the champ of an 8/9 team league is significantly less of an accomplishment than winning one in a league of 30.
    This is by far the biggest criticism to me
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    Swaye's Wigwam
    An 8 team league is filled with talent. Expansion waters it down

Everyone had a shot at 8 in a row and 11 out of 13

The reason it's the Celtics is because of Russell

Reasonable people can disagree on putting him at 1 but he's Mt Rushmore

Agree he's Mt Rushmore, disagree it's harder to win an 8 team league than a 30.
  • NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

Mt. Rushmore to me is Russell - MJ - Kareem - LeBron. Wilt, Bird, and Magic could also be argued to be on there
    NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

Mt. Rushmore to me is Russell - MJ - Kareem - LeBron. Wilt, Bird, and Magic could also be argued to be on there
    For me MJ, Russell and LeBron are secure with the fourth spot open to plenty of debate between Kareem, Wilt and Magic. I think Bird rates just a smidge behind those three. Now excuse me while I go dodge @PurpleThrobber and @Tequilla.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

For me MJ, Russell and LeBron are secure with the fourth spot open to plenty of debate between Kareem, Wilt and Magic. I think Bird rates just a smidge behind those three. Now excuse me while I go dodge @PurpleThrobber and @Tequilla.
    Begrudgingly Bird is 6th all time for me ... I don’t like admitting that
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

Begrudgingly Bird is 6th all time for me ... I don’t like admitting that
    Ahead of which of the six listed above?
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    edited June 2018
    Wilt ... not a big fan of his honestly
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,649
    dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

I was once a massive Lakers fan - back to the Happy Hairston days. Kareem is always paired with Magic on the all time greats but truly he is a step ahead.

Bird and Magic should be paired as they always have been. Pick em between those two.

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

I was once a massive Lakers fan - back to the Happy Hairston days. Kareem is always paired with Magic on the all time greats but truly he is a step ahead.

Bird and Magic should be paired as they always have been. Pick em between those two.
    Bird never had to play against a ranked HIV State!
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    NEsnake12 said:

As if there's more than 8/9 teams right now that are actually competitive? Whole lotta dreck and some playoff teams is what the NBA is right now.

NEsnake12 said:

As if there's more than 8/9 teams right now that are actually competitive? Whole lotta dreck and some playoff teams is what the NBA is right now.
    You're assuming all 8 or 9 of those teams were competitive back then?

STOp
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Which ever team Wilt was ring chasing on - the 67 Sixers had the most wins all time at the time and broke Boston's hold on the East

The West and Baylor Lakers

Oscar and Jerry Lucas on the Royals of Cincinnati

The Celtics

So 50% were competitive and you saw them a lot more
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

STOp
    I didn't say that but the point stands as a counterpoint to the "well it's harder to win 1/32 than 1/8". Not if the talent pool is just being watered down as Race poonted out. There's about 20 teams in the league where any good to great player is being made irrelevant by the lack of concentration of talent while only what 4? teams are actually relevant with another 8 or so trying to be more than doormats for those four teams.

Is it harder to win in college football than the NFL because there's 128 FBS teams rather than 32 pro teams?

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

STOp
    I didn't say that but the point stands as a counterpoint to the "well it's harder to win 1/32 than 1/8". Not if the talent pool is just being watered down as Race poonted out. There's about 20 teams in the league where any good to great player is being made irrelevant by the lack of concentration of talent while only what 4? teams are actually relevant with another 8 or so trying to be more than doormats for those four teams.

Is it harder to win in college football than the NFL because there's 128 FBS teams rather than 32 pro teams?
    It’s easier to win in cfb (if you’re good) because good teams aren’t punished by a salary cap and draft designed to reward bad teams and punish good teams. But if talent were as evenly distributed as it is in the NFL then he’ll t at it would be harder.

Apples and Tang
    Swaye's Wigwam