Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

BUCK Recruiting

Comments

• Options

Okay - so just to remind everyone who is on the bored at BUCK...

GUYS WITH OFFERS (rankings mine):
    1. Kayvon T. - No chance in hell even though he spent all winter saying he really liked UW. When the Bruce Waynes came in, we are in the corner waving.
    2. Bru McCoy - Maybe more of a SAM. Had us in his top 5. Never coming here because we can't recruit good players.
    3. Laiatu Latu - Amazing player, going to Bama, Cal, Stanford or USC.
    4. Treven Ma'ae - Fucking incredible talent, never coming to UW.
    5. Josh Pakola - Going to Stanford.
    6. Marcus Hicks - lol
    7. Isreal Isuman-Hundley - You think we are going to get a black and African kid who plays BUCK out of Texas? lulz
    8. Peter Mpagi - You think we are going to get an African kid who plays BUCK out of Texas (if he has offers from anyone in-state)? lulz
    9. Bralen Trice - We could get him... primarily because I don't like his film very much.

Others we have no shot at: Mase Funa, Mataio Soli, Colt Ellison—not that I want him, Ty Robinson... etc.

GUYS WITHOUT OFFERS
    1. Dylan Hall - I really like this kid a lot and I suspect we will wait until the above guys all spurn us to offer and then it will be too late.
    2. Orin Patu - probably more of a SAM, hips not super wide, but a good looking player that I'd be fine with offering.
    3. Justus Legg - Unless he has a Joe Tryon level senior season, he's out of the running. Looked great as a soph, but because we are cursed he sucked as a junior.
    4. Alphonzo Tuputala - He said a while ago we were recruiting him at BUCK, so I'll throw him in here. It's possible he gets an offer. He's pretty good.

So, in sum: We won't get anyone good again this year, because no matter how many times you send Corky up to 10s in a bar in Scottsdale, he's not going to fuck. It doesn't matter how long he's been talking to them and it doesn't matter if they think he's a nice, stable guy.

Here's the plan Dennis: We land Foskey as a TE, we switch him to BUCK after he signs his LOI, we let him play in garbage time and maybe a few real snaps from time to time, then we cross our fingers he stays after his freshmen season.
  • Options
    SarkFanSixtyNineSarkFanSixtyNine Member Posts: 362
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    its ok im sure theres another heavy kid that can be stuck there and we can all pretend their slowness is actually by design hes intentionally just standing there like a fat potato to strategically increase his inertia and as twatkowski says his only real job is to set the edge because why would a pass rush be important
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,496
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2018
    Saban controls the fast strategy attention whore recruits by whipping them into shape in the middle of the field on a hot summer day. They keep coming in by the flatbed so it seems to work.

I am a Bama fan that doesn't follow recruiting, because I know Saban will run a tight plantation and the recruits are no names until he has molded them into prize mandingos.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2018

The “We don’t have to recruit because we are Washington and a Washington offer means something” doesn’t fly nor resonate too well with the upper eschelon of recruits who really need the affirmation from colleges, coaches, tweets, and offers. Why are we still leaving local guys to be offered by everyone but us? Even that small step can reap dividends... but no, we’re Washington.

It's not that they need affirmation - it's that we are competing.

Again - think of this scenario... we are walking into a rich guy bar in Scottsdale, there are a bunch of 9.5s and 10s at the bar. And we are like 'hey, I run a hedge fund in Wisconsin and am worth 35mil' and then we go sit in the corner. But we are ugly and said it in an awkward way.

Then a bunch of dudes who are just as rich (or more so) and better looking (looks in this analogy being brand) go up to them and throw down game all night. Every now and then we go back and are like 'remember me and the Wisconsin hedge fund? Do you like brats? God!! I love them. Even though I'm rich, I'm really down to earth. Going home with me will be the hardest thing you ever do, but it will be great for your soul.'

That's not the chicks craving attention, that's us not understanding the fucking playing field. Jesus.
    In some ways Pete is still right, you know. You don't want to marry the 9.5 to 10.0 that is crazy and craves attention.
    Fucking wrong.

Super fucking wrong.

FUCKING FUCKING FUCKING WRONG.

So, that would basically say that Bama - who gets nothing but these guys would be fucked, right?! Oh wait.

THEY DO NOT CRAVE ATTENTION YOU FUCKING MORON. THEY GET ATTENTION, SO ATTENTION IS THE MINIMUM.

Jesus fucking Christ what a bunch of losers.
    He's right. They demand attention with their presence- effirtlessly. Craving attention is for 6s. Girls (or high-level recruits) in the 9+ category want a confident man (or program) that will support them as they live their lives. That takes sustained confidence and success.

Many (even successful) guys/coaches can't deal with the extra attention the 9+ wife (or recruit) garners. This is still a worry with Pete for me.

On the other side of the coin, the confidence required to let your 9+ wife/girlfriend live their life without being an overbearing douche....is one reason why you frequently see guys with wives/girlfriends that are clearly out of their league.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Okay, a fucking serious question then.

Are we screwing up buck recruiting because:

- we don't have coaches/recruiters that fuck as good in that department?
    - or buck recruiting has a higher natural level of fast strategy kids that don't resonate/attracted to Pete's okg philosophy?
    - or our coaches just don't want to deal with fast strategy kids at all? Or are very, very selective given how Pete seems to deal with the Marcus Peters types?

I find it interesting that Littleton GIF how Littleton reacted to Pete.

He initially pushed back a little. I immediately thought "fuck yeah, a little emotion and fast strategy juice"

Then Pete kicked in and walked with the stare down and no talking towards Littleton and he backed up right away. I thought "shit, Littleton ain't gonna play anymore"

Now, it seems that Littleton is doing well in the NFL so there's value.

Fuck!
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    PurpleJ said:

Saban controls the fast strategy attention whore recruits by whipping them into shape in the middle of the field on a hot summer day. They keep coming in by the flatbed so it seems to work.

I am a Bama fan that doesn't follow recruiting, because I know Saban will run a tight plantation and the recruits are no names until he has molded them into prize mandingos.

@Tequilla you da HCH slavery expert. Do you agree?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

universal pete matrix

I won't believe it until @Dardanus confirms it
  • Options
    tvoietvoie Member Posts: 996
    So the problem has been identified. What’s the solution? And it has to incorporate the OKG model because you can’t have Coach Pete without it.

Just to play devils advocate for a moment, we all value Pete’s ability to ID talent, but we don’t value the length of time at which it takes him. There are a shitload of examples of guys from UW who weren’t 4/5 Star guys that ended up being great players. How does UW keep doing that while also offering quicker and slightly more often? How do they ID the right fit for their coaching styles without employing this thorough process?

Going back to DDY’s example, how does Pete revamp his ability to spit game to the 10s? What exactly does he have that other better, richer, more attractive dudes don’t have? The answer is not a good one. A dude that is offering a long-term, stable relationship with an upper middle class lifestyle to girls in their 20s is going home alone, or with a lesser, clingier girl unless he finds another approach. So, the question to this legion of unattractive, poor losers is, how’d you bag the 10 the only time you ever did it? Because that’s what Pete needs to bottle up and work into his repertoire.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,252
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My PM is absolutely gorgeous and I fell in love with her 5 years ago when she was 21.

But since I am old and married and have no shot I treat her like she's ugly which really makes her want me. She is used to guys falling all over themselves around her. I joke about it as I pimp her out in business meets (not REAL pimpin mind you)

Psychology is interesting. At any rate by not acting like I care I've had this great relationship with her. Its like I am gay.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    tvoie said:

So the problem has been identified. What’s the solution? And it has to incorporate the OKG model because you can’t have Coach Pete without it.

Just to play devils advocate for a moment, we all value Pete’s ability to ID talent, but we don’t value the length of time at which it takes him. There are a shitload of examples of guys from UW who weren’t 4/5 Star guys that ended up being great players. How does UW keep doing that while also offering quicker and slightly more often? How do they ID the right fit for their coaching styles without employing this thorough process?

Going back to DDY’s example, how does Pete revamp his ability to spit game to the 10s? What exactly does he have that other better, richer, more attractive dudes don’t have? The answer is not a good one. A dude that is offering a long-term, stable relationship with an upper middle class lifestyle to girls in their 20s is going home alone, or with a lesser, clingier girl unless he finds another approach. So, the question to this legion of unattractive, poor losers is, how’d you bag the 10 the only time you ever did it? Because that’s what Pete needs to bottle up and work into his repertoire.

Here's the solution: instead of getting Will Harris to coach DBs we should've gotten him to coach OLBs. Which was my idea with Gerald Alexander...

Also - let's not take the analogy further than it's supposed to go. It's supposed to go through signing day.

And it's a three step model:
    1. Be big time
    2. Act like it
    3. Make her laugh consistently.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,252
    Swaye's Wigwam

tvoie said:

Here's the solution: instead of getting Will Harris to coach DBs we should've gotten him to coach OLBs. Which was my idea with Gerald Alexander...

Also - let's not take the analogy further than it's supposed to go. It's supposed to go through signing day.

And it's a three step model:
    1. Be big time
    2. Act like it
    3. Make her laugh consistently.
    This
  • Options

Okay - so just to remind everyone who is on the bored at BUCK...

GUYS WITH OFFERS (rankings mine):
    1. Kayvon T. - No chance in hell even though he spent all winter saying he really liked UW. When the Bruce Waynes came in, we are in the corner waving.
    2. Bru McCoy - Maybe more of a SAM. Had us in his top 5. Never coming here because we can't recruit good players.
    3. Laiatu Latu - Amazing player, going to Bama, Cal, Stanford or USC.
    4. Treven Ma'ae - Fucking incredible talent, never coming to UW.
    5. Josh Pakola - Going to Stanford.
    6. Marcus Hicks - lol
    7. Isreal Isuman-Hundley - You think we are going to get a black and African kid who plays BUCK out of Texas? lulz
    8. Peter Mpagi - You think we are going to get an African kid who plays BUCK out of Texas (if he has offers from anyone in-state)? lulz
    9. Bralen Trice - We could get him... primarily because I don't like his film very much.

Others we have no shot at: Mase Funa, Mataio Soli, Colt Ellison—not that I want him, Ty Robinson... etc.

GUYS WITHOUT OFFERS
    1. Dylan Hall - I really like this kid a lot and I suspect we will wait until the above guys all spurn us to offer and then it will be too late.
    2. Orin Patu - probably more of a SAM, hips not super wide, but a good looking player that I'd be fine with offering.
    3. Justus Legg - Unless he has a Joe Tryon level senior season, he's out of the running. Looked great as a soph, but because we are cursed he sucked as a junior.
    4. Alphonzo Tuputala - He said a while ago we were recruiting him at BUCK, so I'll throw him in here. He will get an offer in a couple hours. He's pretty good.

So, in sum: We won't get anyone good again this year, because no matter how many times you send Corky up to 10s in a bar in Scottsdale, he's not going to fuck. It doesn't matter how long he's been talking to them and it doesn't matter if they think he's a nice, stable guy.

I'm not fucking with you anymore.
  • Options
    pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited June 2018
    I believe Zion Tupuola-Fetui will be BUCK. There was talk of him developing into a Defensive Tackle but locking up Tuli, Mosiah (holy fuck he looks good) and Draco will allow ZTP to redshirt and work w/ Kwat.

6’2 250 and is listed as a Linebacker on the official roster. Still need to get at least 2 BUCKS this class and missing on Martin was a massive failure. I like Zion though. I feel like he has been somewhat forgeten given how strong we finished last year outside of Martin (Fucking Barbershops!!!). Still need to stack more bodies though.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    There’s a part of me that really wonders if we actually value a pash rush off the edge