Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

OFFICIAL: Mariners TSIO thread

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Can we? petition to make it 81?
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

It doesn't matter. The 4 best teams in baseball are in the AL. Two of them in the West and the other two in the East. Mariners weren't making the playoffs with Robinson Cano. Glad Robbie was at least putting in the effort though.

It didn't matter in March...
  • BaldwinIVBaldwinIV Member Posts: 797
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Four straight. Nine out of 10.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,375
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My one wish for baseball is to see my Yankees have a playoff game at the Safe again. 2001 was special.

BaldwinIV said:

And an absurd record in one run games. Nice to be on the good side of that but doubt it lasts
    Law of averages will eventually kick in, and the Mariners will hit a long losing skid.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

BaldwinIV said:

And an absurd record in one run games. Nice to be on the good side of that but doubt it lasts
    Law of averages will eventually kick in, and the Mariners will hit a long losing skid.
    Starting pitching won't hold up. That said, they are positioning themselves to at least get another starter at the deadline.

June will be a telling month. So far the Mariners have beat up a bunch of shitty teams. Now they get to play the Astros, Yankees, Red Sox, and Angels in 4 of 5 series. If they can get through June playing .500 then it might be time to start thinking the drought could end.

The bullpen is really good. A lot of power arms which is what you want. Adding Elias as a guy who can give you 3 to 4 innings if your starter shits the best is nice. Colome was a really good addition to have a set up guy.

The rotation has been playing way better than expected (and will most likely cool off a bit). Leblanc will come back down to earth but Marco Gonzalez looks like he learned how to pitch in the majors finally. His breaking balls are nasty as long as he can frame them on the outside part of the plate. Felix will pitch better than he has been too, he won't be King Felix anymore but he could be a really solid #2/3 guy.

The lineup is 1 bad injury away from being mediocre again which is the scary part. They are about middle of the pack as is so if you lose a Segura, Haniger, or Cruz then that is a problem. Segura has been incredible.

I'm with you on most of this but Felix has no fucking chance of being a solid #2. I'd be thrilled if he's ever a solid #4 at this poont. At current pace he's not even going to be worth one win on the season.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

June will be a telling month. So far the Mariners have beat up a bunch of shitty teams. Now they get to play the Astros, Yankees, Red Sox, and Angels in 4 of 5 series. If they can get through June playing .500 then it might be time to start thinking the drought could end.

The bullpen is really good. A lot of power arms which is what you want. Adding Elias as a guy who can give you 3 to 4 innings if your starter shits the best is nice. Colome was a really good addition to have a set up guy.

The rotation has been playing way better than expected (and will most likely cool off a bit). Leblanc will come back down to earth but Marco Gonzalez looks like he learned how to pitch in the majors finally. His breaking balls are nasty as long as he can frame them on the outside part of the plate. Felix will pitch better than he has been too, he won't be King Felix anymore but he could be a really solid #2/3 guy.

The lineup is 1 bad injury away from being mediocre again which is the scary part. They are about middle of the pack as is so if you lose a Segura, Haniger, or Cruz then that is a problem. Segura has been incredible.

I'm with you on most of this but Felix has no fucking chance of being a solid #2. I'd be thrilled if he's ever a solid #4 at this poont. At current pace he's not even going to be worth one win on the season.
    Felix still has a knee buckling circle change. One pitch that drops hot off the plate like that at the last second will always be devastating. His issue is that his ego tells him that he can gas it by people at 97 MPH still with his fastball. He use to be able to let it rip anywhere in the strike zone and fan guys, now he has to locate it and keep it low. I think he ends up the year sub 4 ERA when all said and done, Sunday was exactly what he needs to do every time out on the bump.

dnc said:

Felix still has a knee buckling circle change. One pitch that drops hot off the plate like that at the last second will always be devastating. His issue is that his ego tells him that he can gas it by people at 97 MPH still with his fastball. He use to be able to let it rip anywhere in the strike zone and fan guys, now he has to locate it and keep it low. I think he ends up the year sub 4 ERA when all said and done, Sunday was exactly what he needs to do every time out on the bump.
    He's done
    edited June 2018

dnc said:

With the advent of the launch angle, low pitches aren’t as effective at keeping the ball out as they used to be. There are very few successful pitchers in today’s game that do not miss bats. You honestly need to have nearly a 9k/9 ratio to be successful.

Then again, you would be thrilled to have King Felix as a good #4. If that is the bar for any pitcher, then that pitcher should not be in your rotation.

How much money do they have wasting on this guy?

dnc said:

With the advent of the launch angle, low pitches aren’t as effective at keeping the ball out as they used to be. There are very few successful pitchers in today’s game that do not miss bats. You honestly need to have nearly a 9k/9 ratio to be successful.

Then again, you would be thrilled to have King Felix as a good #4. If that is the bar for any pitcher, then that pitcher should not be in your rotation.

The money isn’t really the issue to me, Felix has been worth more than he’s made most of his career. Rolling out a replacement level
    pitcher when you’re a legit playoff contender but not as talented as the teams you’re competing with is a big issue. I love Felix but the dude is done. The Ms are loyal and sentimental to a fault and it’s going to bite them in the ass this year.
    dnc said:

dnc said:

The money isn’t really the issue to me, Felix has been worth more than he’s made most of his career. Rolling out a replacement level
    pitcher when you’re a legit playoff contender but not as talented as the teams you’re competing with is a big issue. I love Felix but the dude is done. The Ms are loyal and sentimental to a fault and it’s going to bite them in the ass this year.
    A lot that loyalty has gotten them...the longest current playoff drought in pro sports

dnc said:

dnc said:

A lot that loyalty has gotten them...the longest current playoff drought in pro sports
    We need to realize it's an uphill battle
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

I know this is rubbing it in after today's start but a sub 4 ERA? That's crazy.