Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Greatest War Film of All Time?

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Das Boot
    Swaye said:

Can we count The Great Escape?

Yes. POW camp movies during war time are fair game. It's in the pole. Plus, Steve McQueen is sexy as hell. WOOD.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Write-In Option
    Swaye said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Some notable omission and/or fuck ups:

Enemy at the Gates - Not the greatest script, but there just aren't enough good options about the Eastern Front where most of war happened.

Master and Commander - There are some corny parts, but there's no other film out there that rivals the sea battles between sailing ships.

Lawrence of Arabia - prolly should have made the cut here, but Peter O' Toole creeps me out much of the time.

Kelly's Heroes - Even though it's an action/comedy, this might be my favorite WWII of all tim.

Inglorious Bastards - I hate Tarantino sometimes, but Waltz plays the best Nazi officer ever on film.

Braveheart - Should have clarified this was about war movies from the 1754 to the present.

Spartacus - Slave revolts aren't really about war.

Hunt for Red October - Cold war thrillers are not war movies.

MASH - Race is right on this one. Terrific film.

So you add an Honorable Mention section and still forget The Deer Hunter? I never realized tall people were dumb.

Also, Master and Commander is the tits. HOLD FAST
    Listen, fly-boy, I think parts of that film are great but fuck any movie that tries to shoot a hunting scene in Pennsyltucky with glaciers in the background. There haven't been glaciers in PA since the last ice age. HTH.

I LOVE Master and Commander.

Also, Top Gun needs a nod here.

Not technically a war movie. Still great inspite of Tom Cruise. I got to go to a private air show at Miramar as a kid once. Way kewl.

Now only douchey Persians fly F-14s.
    If Maverick vs. Iceman isn't war, I don't know what is.

Flame away, do NOT like Top Gun.

I feel like I hardly know Grundle anymore.
    Taint life a bitch?
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Write-In Option

Swaye said:

Can we count The Great Escape?

Yes. POW camp movies during war time are fair game. It's in the pole. Plus, Steve McQueen is sexy as hell. WOOD.
    I can't read.
    Founders Club
    Write-In Option
    dnc said:

Swaye said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Enemy at the Gates - Not the greatest script, but there just aren't enough good options about the Eastern Front where most of war happened.

Master and Commander - There are some corny parts, but there's no other film out there that rivals the sea battles between sailing ships.

Lawrence of Arabia - prolly should have made the cut here, but Peter O' Toole creeps me out much of the time.

Kelly's Heroes - Even though it's an action/comedy, this might be my favorite WWII of all tim.

Inglorious Bastards - I hate Tarantino sometimes, but Waltz plays the best Nazi officer ever on film.

Braveheart - Should have clarified this was about war movies from the 1754 to the present.

So you add an Honorable Mention section and still forget The Deer Hunter? I never realized tall people were dumb.

Listen, fly-boy, I think parts of that film are great but fuck any movie that tries to shoot a hunting scene in Pennsyltucky with glaciers in the background. There haven't been glaciers in PA since the last ice age. HTH.

Not technically a war movie. Still great inspite of Tom Cruise. I got to go to a private air show at Miramar as a kid once. Way kewl.

Taint life a bitch?
    Bring a volleyball the next time we, well, you know. I'll bring dog tags. 50 shades of awesome.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Full Metal Jacket

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Nor do I. Way too much gay undertone. In what movie did Tarantino go on that rant about Top Gun being all about fags? "...you can fuck my ass any time.". "Bullshit. You can fuck mine.". That was pretty damn funny.
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,587
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Full Metal Jacket
    dnc said:

chuck said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Nor do I. Way too much gay undertone. In what movie did Tarantino go on that rant about Top Gun being all about fags? "...you can fuck my ass any time.". "Bullshit. You can fuck mine.". That was pretty damn funny.
    Why do you hate the Navy you commie bastard?!?

I like those Navy boys. Every time we have to go fight a war, they always give us a ride.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Zulu

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Think they've been out of spare parts for a decade.
    Good. FTGs.
    Sadly, I was wrong. Apparently still flying 40 of them.
    http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/irans-air-force-flies-american-made-f-14-tomcats-24750
    Standard Supporter
    Zulu
    dnc said:

Swaye said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Taint life a bitch?

• BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Appocolypse Now

These are solid picks gentlemen. I’ll submit these as my honorable mentions:

Downfall: yes, the movie that launched a thousand memes, but people forget it’s a fucking amazing movie about Hitler’s last days

A Very Long Engagement: if there’s a “chick flick” version of a war movie this is it, but it really shows the horrors of trench warfare in WWI better than any film I’ve seen and the impact on civilians

Tora! Tora! Tora!: Chronicles the events leading up to Pearl Harbor. I like how it covers the political and military side of the lead up to the US joining WWII.

Stalag 17: American WWII POWs try to find the German spy in their ranks. Dark comedy, but it’s definitely not “Hogan’s Heroes” in terms of quality. William Holden is awesome in it.

Black Book: Carice van Houten (find your own pics!) of Game of Thrones fame plays a Jewish singer who joins becomes a spy/resistance fighter in WWII.

Surprised you didn't include Gallipoli. Cute young Mel Gibson shows his butt.

You like ToraToraTora, I prefer Midway. One of the first movies I saw in the theater. The cast is a veritable Murderers' Row of Big Actors, but I've always been partial to Robert Mitchum as Bull Halsey, stuck in a hospital bed raving about the skin condition that keeps him from his command.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    Standard Supporter
    Last of the Mohicans
    BearsWiin said:

Downfall: yes, the movie that launched a thousand memes, but people forget it’s a fucking amazing movie about Hitler’s last days

A Very Long Engagement: if there’s a “chick flick” version of a war movie this is it, but it really shows the horrors of trench warfare in WWI better than any film I’ve seen and the impact on civilians

Tora! Tora! Tora!: Chronicles the events leading up to Pearl Harbor. I like how it covers the political and military side of the lead up to the US joining WWII.

Stalag 17: American WWII POWs try to find the German spy in their ranks. Dark comedy, but it’s definitely not “Hogan’s Heroes” in terms of quality. William Holden is awesome in it.

Black Book: Carice van Houten (find your own pics!) of Game of Thrones fame plays a Jewish singer who joins becomes a spy/resistance fighter in WWII.

You like ToraToraTora, I prefer Midway. One of the first movies I saw in the theater. The cast is a veritable Murderers' Row of Big Actors, but I've always been partial to Robert Mitchum as Bull Halsey, stuck in a hospital bed raving about the skin condition that keeps him from his command.
    I haven’t seen Midway or Gallipoli - I’ll have to check them out (though Mel’s never done it for me...Nothing special. *grin*)
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited May 2018
    Appocolypse Now

BearsWiin said:

I haven’t seen Midway or Gallipoli - I’ll have to check them out (though Mel’s never done it for me...Nothing special. *grin*)
    Cute young Mel (Tim, Gallipoli, Road Warrior) >>>>>>>timeseleventymillion>>>>> Mel anytime after about 1983 (Mullet Mel, Paintedface Scotsman Mel, Bearded Mel, Angry Drunk Jewhating Mel). I did like Payback, though. Guilty pleasure.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Das Boot

Forgot about Downfall. One of the best foreign films in this genre, rather easily, along with Das Boot.
    Standard Supporter
    Zulu

BearsWiin said:

Gallipoli is a must-see if you like some of these others. Two parts to it (been a while since I've seen): sorta buddy/coming-of-age story, then the shooting. Kinda anti-war movie.

Tora Tora Tora was a favorite as a kid. I suspect it might not hold up.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Das Boot
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

Cute young Mel (Tim, Gallipoli, Road Warrior) >>>>>>>timeseleventymillion>>>>> Mel anytime after about 1983 (Mullet Mel, Paintedface Scotsman Mel, Bearded Mel, Angry Drunk Jewhating Mel). I did like Payback, though. Guilty pleasure.
    I'm surprised to not see you pimpin' Zorba the Greek harder.

Swaye's Wigwam
    Das Boot
    I thought Gettysburg would get a bit more love here. I love the Little Round Top scene when they fix bayonets and charge those Johnny Rebs.

Founders Club
    Write-In Option
    I also got to give a shout out to The Bridge on the River Kwai
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Full Metal Jacket
    I'm hearing it's not Dunkirk.