Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Hip hop next?

Comments

• AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
  • Bad_MotherDuckerBad_MotherDucker Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,309
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Well I'm thinking of this in terms of decades:

80s
    90s
    00s
    teens

The 90s is going to be fucking stacked. Easily the golden age. The teens is going to be the weakest by far. Timbaland probably makes the bracket if its straight 64 but I don't think he cracks the 90s top 16.

Pac
    Biggie
    Outkast (could put them in 00s for balance though)
    Dre
    Ice Cube
    Goodie Mobb
    Bushwick Bill
    Jadakiss
    Warren G
    Too Short
    Wu collectively, plus Method Man, and ODB individually
    Redman
    Juvy
    E40
    Mace
    Mobb Deep
    Tribe Called Quest
    Naughty By Nature
    and while not my tastes you have to add Puff Daddy, Master P and Salt N Pepa as well.

All those are probably ahead of Timbaland in the 90s line, IMO and that's just off the top of my head so I'm sure I'm overlooking a few people. I'd argue for 8 Ball and MJG too though they straddle the 90s 00 line as well. Tim might fair better in the 00s.

Stacked era.

I think we might have found our tournament chairman.
    I'll need to lean heavily on Grundle and some of you other old heads on 80s seeding. I know most of the generally considered best acts but wouldn't be confident in ranking them. I'd probably need BTP or some other teen boys held in the 10's because fuck rap sucks now. But I could nail the middle two decades and have a decent framework for the first and last.
    80s
    NWA
    Public Enemy
    Ice T
    LL Cool J
    Kurtis Blow
    Run DMC
    Eric B and Rakim
    Doug E. Fresh
    Big Daddy Kane
    Slick Rick
    Whodini
    Geto Boys (maybe 90s?)
    KRS-One
    Grandmaster Flash & Furious Five
    Kool Moe Dee
    2 Live Crew - shoutout to @creepycoug
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited May 2018
    2001400ex said:

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

We might have to be a little more creative than just decades to properly weigh how stacked the 90s would be.

I thought a little and here’s my first pass 8 team bracket for the last 10ish years, based kinda on personal preference but mostly on mainstream popularity:

1. Kendrick
    2. Drake
    3. J Cole
    4. Migos
    5. Post Malone
    6. Childish Gambino
    7. Future
    8. Macklemore

Guys like Kanye and lil Wayne should be in the 2000s bracket.

I think Kanye's work the lastdecade has been more influential than his earlier stuff (though I prefer the earlier stuff). He belongs here IMO. With you on Weazy.
    I always think of Graduation as Kanye’s peak popularity, and that was circa 2007. Maybe he does fit slightly better in the 2010’s... but I think there’s less depth in the 2000s rappers so for balance reasons put him there.
    You think the 2010s is deeper than 2000s?

2000s gets:

Outkast
    Fiddy
    Nelly
    Luda
    Hova
    TI
    Jeezy
    Weezy
    Shady
    The Game
    Missy
    Ghostface Killa
    Cam'Ron
    Soul'jah Boy
    Fabolous
    Chamillionaire
    Scarface
    Timbaland
    Three Six

And possibly Nas (hard one to nail down)

I'm taking that bracket over 2010s rather easily.
    I agree with most of what you said in the thread. But fuck off for saying OutKast is in the 2000s.
    90s is more stacked so I tried putting Outkast and Nas in 00s. Not sure Outkast is even in the top half of the bracket in the 90s. 00s they're probably in the top 4.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer their 90s stuff (ATLiens was their best album to me) but Speakerboxxx/The Love Below is their most iconic shit.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

2001400ex said:

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

We might have to be a little more creative than just decades to properly weigh how stacked the 90s would be.

I thought a little and here’s my first pass 8 team bracket for the last 10ish years, based kinda on personal preference but mostly on mainstream popularity:

1. Kendrick
    2. Drake
    3. J Cole
    4. Migos
    5. Post Malone
    6. Childish Gambino
    7. Future
    8. Macklemore

I think Kanye's work the lastdecade has been more influential than his earlier stuff (though I prefer the earlier stuff). He belongs here IMO. With you on Weazy.
    I always think of Graduation as Kanye’s peak popularity, and that was circa 2007. Maybe he does fit slightly better in the 2010’s... but I think there’s less depth in the 2000s rappers so for balance reasons put him there.

2000s gets:

Outkast
    Fiddy
    Nelly
    Luda
    Hova
    TI
    Jeezy
    Weezy
    Shady
    The Game
    Missy
    Ghostface Killa
    Cam'Ron
    Soul'jah Boy
    Fabolous
    Chamillionaire
    Scarface
    Timbaland
    Three Six

I agree with most of what you said in the thread. But fuck off for saying OutKast is in the 2000s.
    90s is more stacked so I tried putting Outkast and Nas in 00s. Not sure Outkast is even in the top half of the bracket in the 90s. 00s they're probably in the top 4.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer their 90s stuff (ATLiens was their best album to me) but Speakerboxxx/The Love Below is their most iconic shit.
    Yes Atliens was by far their best album. Southernplayalisticcaddilacfunkymusic had a few good songs too.

Instead of decades. Why don't we do it by region. East coast (Wu tang, Biggie), West coast (Dre, Pac), northern (Eminem, Macklemore), southern (Outkast, Lil Wayne).

2001400ex said:

dnc said:

2001400ex said:

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

1. Kendrick
    2. Drake
    3. J Cole
    4. Migos
    5. Post Malone
    6. Childish Gambino
    7. Future
    8. Macklemore

2000s gets:

Outkast
    Fiddy
    Nelly
    Luda
    Hova
    TI
    Jeezy
    Weezy
    Shady
    The Game
    Missy
    Ghostface Killa
    Cam'Ron
    Soul'jah Boy
    Fabolous
    Chamillionaire
    Scarface
    Timbaland
    Three Six

Yes Atliens was by far their best album. Southernplayalisticcaddilacfunkymusic had a few good songs too.

Instead of decades. Why don't we do it by region. East coast (Wu tang, Biggie), West coast (Dre, Pac), northern (Eminem, Macklemore), southern (Outkast, Lil Wayne).

I’ll look at that but my guess is East Coast would be even more stacked than 90s and the other 3 brackets would be pretty light.
    Actually now that I think more about it I think the best solution is to stay with decades but for the 80s bracket it’s anyone who had anything of significance in the 80s and for the other decades it’s the last decade you had anything of significance. This solves both major problems: thins out the 90s and beefs up the 10s.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,707
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I watched All Eyes on Me and laughed out loud when the music exec was talking about all the charges that had to be reconciled before they could pay

"Reconcile me a check, Motherfucker"

Going into my business rotation

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,657
    2001400ex said:

dnc said:

2001400ex said:

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

1. Kendrick
    2. Drake
    3. J Cole
    4. Migos
    5. Post Malone
    6. Childish Gambino
    7. Future
    8. Macklemore

2000s gets:

Outkast
    Fiddy
    Nelly
    Luda
    Hova
    TI
    Jeezy
    Weezy
    Shady
    The Game
    Missy
    Ghostface Killa
    Cam'Ron
    Soul'jah Boy
    Fabolous
    Chamillionaire
    Scarface
    Timbaland
    Three Six

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkKEMh-F0Jo

Such disrespect for Grandmaster Scheffler in the North.

And FUCK HOWARD SCHULZ WITH A RUSTY AIDS-INFESTED CHEESE GRATER.
    edited May 2018
    Chinned for Grandmaster Scheffler
  • jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

1. Kendrick
    2. Drake
    3. J Cole
    4. Migos
    5. Post Malone
    6. Childish Gambino
    7. Future
    8. Macklemore

Yeah Twisted was one of the best albums of the decade. I think he deserves 10's status
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

1. Kendrick
    2. Drake
    3. J Cole
    4. Migos
    5. Post Malone
    6. Childish Gambino
    7. Future
    8. Macklemore

Yeah Twisted was one of the best albums of the decade. I think he deserves 10's status
    Anyone that chooses another Kanye album as the best has no taste.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    Swaye's Wigwam
    When you guys always play this song, it's intended as humor, right? This has to be one of the worst hip hop songs I've ever heard. And yet, it has 377,851,897 streams on Spotify. Talk about a signs of an aging genre run out of new and fresh ideas.
  • AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,977
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2018

Hey you bunch of Alt Right Isolationists. Not every rapper has to come from America.

If we're not going to have a Central America Bracket, I'm out.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    @YellowSnow

For the love of Allah... Please fast track this thing through in like 2 days
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

When you guys always play this song, it's intended as humor, right? This has to be one of the worst hip hop songs I've ever heard. And yet, it has 377,851,897 streams on Spotify. Talk about a signs of an aging genre run out of new and fresh ideas.
    It’s more about entertainment than the music. I don’t think anyone over the age of 16 would say it’s well done art.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    salemcoog said:

@YellowSnow

We don't want to blow our wad. It's only May and the off-season is long.
  • jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

salemcoog said:

@YellowSnow

How do you want the 10's seeded? Popularity, how HH sees it, or how I see it? Combo of the 3?
    Swaye's Wigwam

salemcoog said:

@YellowSnow

How do you want the 10's seeded? Popularity, how HH sees it, or how I see it? Combo of the 3?
    @dnc has accepted the Hip Hop Tournament Czar position, so seeding suggestions should be sent his way.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

salemcoog said:

@YellowSnow

@dnc has accepted the Hip Hop Tournament Czar position, so seeding suggestions should be sent his way.
    Chat is hot!