Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

I watched Dunkirk

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
And yes, it was filled with white people.

It also seemed like it was mailed in for the most part. Saving Private Ryan is 20 years old and it had way better blood and guts and made you feel scared like you were there. Maybe I'm jaded but I never really gave a fuck about anyone in Dunkirk.

They live or they die and neither one was interesting.

Two thumbs down.

Comments

• ToddTurnerLIVESToddTurnerLIVES Member Posts: 438
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

It also seemed like it was mailed in for the most part. Saving Private Ryan is 20 years old and it had way better blood and guts and made you feel scared like you were there. Maybe I'm jaded but I never really gave a fuck about anyone in Dunkirk.

Two thumbs down.

I watched it too. It's like they said "we want to make an epic, big-budget WWII movie but pay zero money." It was little shit like the uniforms of the soldiers were all super clean and new looking.... it seemed mailed the fuck in. And yes, SPR is so far superior that Dunkirk isn't even really worth watching if SPR is what you are expecting.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2018
    I liked Dunkirk, but rule of thumb is never make a war film PG-13.

Christopher Nolan is the man, but he's stuck in PG-13 land lately.
  • CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

What’s WWII???

The tug is back1!1!
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited May 2018
    The temporal juxtapositioning gave me a fucking headache, so I can't imagine how it affected Sledog. Plus, it didn't add a chintresting dimesion to the movie: at. all. Ok, I get it. Now we're back, now we're ahead, oh that's that sinking plane from 30 minutes ago flying before it was shot down and sinking. Got it. HohLee fuck.

Two thumbs down.

Well, you were there, so you would know.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't know what it is about WWII movies, but a lot of them end up sucking. Feel like per capita, 'Nam resulted in better flicks.

Darkest Hour was solid, so, at least, they got something from 1940 right.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    Swaye's Wigwam

Two thumbs down.

I watched it too. It's like they said "we want to make an epic, big-budget WWII movie but pay zero money." It was little shit like the uniforms of the soldiers were all super clean and new looking.... it seemed mailed the fuck in. And yes, SPR is so far superior that Dunkirk isn't even really worth watching if SPR is what you are expecting.
    The special effects looked like they came from Iron Eagle in the 80's
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

It is a great movie if you shed expectations of Shaving Ryan's Privates. Very different.

Chinned for giving me a knew version - I have always called it Saving Ryan's Privates.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,375
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Race would know. He was THERE.
  • dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Watch Patton if you want a good WWII flick.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    dflea said:

Naw man, being a 12, he should watch the Dirty Dozen
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited May 2018
    dflea said:

That's a good one. Opening scene. Should be played pre-game to all those cfb players who, by comparison to Patton, are fucking pussies.

We're not just going to shoot the bastards, we're going to rip out their living goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun cocksuckers by the bushel-fucking-basket.

Some of you men are wondering whether or not you'll chicken out under fire. Don't worry about it. I can assure you that you'll all do your duty. War is a bloody business, a killing business. The Nazis are the enemy. Wade into them, spill their blood or they will spill yours. Shoot them in the guts. Rip open their belly. When shells are hitting all around you and you wipe the dirt from your face and you realize that it's not dirt, it's the blood and guts of what was once your best friend, you'll know what to do.

• PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,375
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2018
    And also this...

• SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,463

The temporal juxtapositioning gave me a fucking headache, so I can't imagine how it affected Sledog. Plus, it didn't add a chintresting dimesion to the movie: at. all. Ok, I get it. Now we're back, now we're ahead, oh that's that sinking plane from 30 minutes ago flying before it was shot down and sinking. Got it. HohLee fuck.

Two thumbs down.

Well, you were there, so you would know.
    It sucked. Cinematic grandeur equals steaming pile. Almost as bad as Darkest Hour. A couple hours of my life I'll never get back. Didn't you write both pages of the script?