Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Hip hop next?

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Worthy of consideration fo a 1 seed:

Groups
    Public Enemy
    Run DMC
    NWA
    Wu Tang
    Outkast

Chindividuals
    Snoop
    Pac
    Biggie
    Lil Wayne
    Kanye
    Jay Z
    Eminem

That's the list. You could maybe talk me into an Eric B and Rakim, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, the Roots or Big Daddy Kane if I"m feeling generous, but there's really nobody else who transcends the genre the way these do.

If black people don't like your shit you're not a fucking one seed in a rap battle.

Our lists pretty much align here and I'm not gonna die on a hill for the B-Boys as hip hop isn't my specialty. That said, from a raw numbers stand point, lotta white boys bought rap records too.
    But those weren’t rap fans they were Beastie Boys fans. Beasties get credit for opening white America to embrace rap but if you’re not relevant to rap stations and rap fans you’re not relevant to the genre. They’re tangential at best.

That’s not to dismiss their talent which exists but none of them were gonna hang in, let alone win a rap battle against any top 300 lyricists of all time, let alone the giants listed here.

Also, way too much fucking guitar.

Eminem is different in that while white America loves him too he has actual street cred and can toe to toe with any emcee in any era. Having someone with the street credentials of Dre bring him to the public gave him instant credibility the Beasties never had or could have had. Em has a huge black following and black radio influence.

Rap is a culture as much as it is music and Beasties fail the culture test. Good band. I enjoy their music. I’d tolerate them in the bracket because white people. Don’t belong anywhere near a one just because they sold records. Fuck, MC Hammer sold albums.
    Yes, they do fail the culture test MASSIVELY. I'm one of the whitest slow strategy dudes here. I love fly fishing, row boating, old country music, and the Grateful Dead. Is what it is. When I listen to Paul's Boutique, I can, at least, laff my ass off and relate to all the popular culture references. But no matter how much I love NWA, I'll never be able to truly relate, although I have had a Fuck the Police moment or two in life.

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    Swaye's Wigwam
    J Roc needs to make the cut for the 00's.

• jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Well I'm thinking of this in terms of decades:

80s
    90s
    00s
    teens

The 90s is going to be fucking stacked. Easily the golden age. The teens is going to be the weakest by far. Timbaland probably makes the bracket if its straight 64 but I don't think he cracks the 90s top 16.

Pac
    Biggie
    Outkast (could put them in 00s for balance though)
    Dre
    Ice Cube
    Goodie Mobb
    Bushwick Bill
    Jadakiss
    Warren G
    Too Short
    Wu collectively, plus Method Man, and ODB individually
    Redman
    Juvy
    E40
    Mace
    Mobb Deep
    Tribe Called Quest
    Naughty By Nature
    and while not my tastes you have to add Puff Daddy, Master P and Salt N Pepa as well.

All those are probably ahead of Timbaland in the 90s line, IMO and that's just off the top of my head so I'm sure I'm overlooking a few people. I'd argue for 8 Ball and MJG too though they straddle the 90s 00 line as well. Tim might fair better in the 00s.

Stacked era.

The teens will still have Kendrick, and even though old fogies might not be Kendrick fans he's one of if not the best rapper in the game right now. Everything he touches turns to fire. He's a genius. It seems like every album is better than the last. m.A.A.d city was considered one of the best albums of the decade, then he dropped Pimp a Butterfly, then he dropped DAMN.

Migos hasn't really been around with that level of popularity for as long, since Culture was really what propelled them into superstardom, even though YRN did gain a lot of popularity. They really didn't get anything until Versace in 2013, then Look at my Dab got them popular right as Culture came out.

J Cole is interesting because 2014 Forest Hills Drive was really good (double plat with no features) but KOD and Eyez Only were much less acclaimed by fans (although popular). KOD is better than Eyez Only in terms of Twitterscape reception, with ATM and Kevin's Heart being general favorites. He has his own very distinct style when it comes to beats and lyricism. Friday Night Lights was a really fucking good mixtape.

Drake is obviously super popular, and he's interesting because I personally kind of liked most of his music but wasn't crazy about it, but as I listed more it gets better. God's Plan is super popular right now. It seems like every single he releases is its own distinct hit.

Kanye is Kanye. Twisted Fantasy (possible album of the decade), Throne, Yeezus, and Pablo all since 2010. Super controversial but all time best seller.

Chance the Rapper is super popular but for whatever reason I'm not really into a lot of his music. I'm so fucking white.

If you count Frank Ocean he's had two super highly acclaimed albums recently with channel ORANGE and blonde.

Post Malone is super popular right now and outside of Logic and Eminem is easily the best white Hip Hop guy. beerbongs and bentleys was fucking great. Lots of hits.

DJ Khaled has been successful but fuck that guy, he just dickrides more talented acts with his beats.

Macklemore is trash but white people.

Childish Gambino is really fucking good. This is America just came out but just shows what he can do as an artist.

Rae Srummurd's album just came out but he makes good music. Powerglide is great despite being overplayed, then there are songs like Black Beatle.

Lil Uzi is really new to the game, but has already dropped several bangers, even though his last song was shit. Tour Llif3 was really good.

Earl Sweatshirt is a guy that I haven't listened to but my friends swear he is super talented. Same goes with Logic.

NF has talent but Christian rap doesn't really count. The white boy in me loves his music.

Future is another really good one. I love his shit.

If you're into the more comedic genre Lil Dicky is really really talented but fucks around a lot. Freaky Friday with Chris Brown was really good shit.

My friends all hate Kodak but he is talented, even if his music is trash.

Cardi B and Nicki Minaj fucking suck. So does Iggy Azalea.

I probably forgot some but that's what the teens has.
    TFO of here with Post Malone. Oldmanyellingatcloud.gif but fucking fuck that fucking fuck. It's shit like Post Malone that makes people hate millennials.

Lacrae > NF if we're taking Christian acts.

Fuck Future because #GoHawks.

Gambino's a talented motherfukkker.

Otherwise good shit. You can seed the 10's as long as you promise to leave white Iverson out of it.
    I don't know about seeding but I'll leave him out as long as it means Lil Dicky is in there

FUCK I'm white
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,649
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    The white boy play-in game has to be Snow vs. 3rd Bass

Yo, I came from Cali and they hooped it, they hooped it.

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited May 2018
    Swaye said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

80s
    90s
    00s
    teens

The 90s is going to be fucking stacked. Easily the golden age. The teens is going to be the weakest by far. Timbaland probably makes the bracket if its straight 64 but I don't think he cracks the 90s top 16.

Pac
    Biggie
    Dre
    Ice Cube
    Goodie Mobb
    Bushwick Bill
    Jadakiss
    Warren G
    Too Short
    Redman
    Juvy
    E40
    Mace
    Mobb Deep
    Tribe Called Quest
    Naughty By Nature
    and while not my tastes you have to add Puff Daddy, Master P and Salt N Pepa as well.

All those are probably ahead of Timbaland in the 90s line, IMO and that's just off the top of my head so I'm sure I'm overlooking a few people. I'd argue for 8 Ball and MJG too though they straddle the 90s 00 line as well. Tim might fair better in the 00s.

Stacked era.

I think we might have found our tournament chairman.
    I'll need to lean heavily on Grundle and some of you other old heads on 80s seeding. I know most of the generally considered best acts but wouldn't be confident in ranking them. I'd probably need BTP or some other teen boys held in the 10's because fuck rap sucks now. But I could nail the middle two decades and have a decent framework for the first and last.
    I love you pookie.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLVWUGMkJCY
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

dnc said:

80s
    90s
    00s
    teens

Pac
    Biggie
    Dre
    Ice Cube
    Goodie Mobb
    Bushwick Bill
    Jadakiss
    Warren G
    Too Short
    Redman
    Juvy
    E40
    Mace
    Mobb Deep
    Tribe Called Quest
    Naughty By Nature

Stacked era.

The teens will still have Kendrick, and even though old fogies might not be Kendrick fans he's one of if not the best rapper in the game right now. Everything he touches turns to fire. He's a genius. It seems like every album is better than the last. m.A.A.d city was considered one of the best albums of the decade, then he dropped Pimp a Butterfly, then he dropped DAMN.

Migos hasn't really been around with that level of popularity for as long, since Culture was really what propelled them into superstardom, even though YRN did gain a lot of popularity. They really didn't get anything until Versace in 2013, then Look at my Dab got them popular right as Culture came out.

J Cole is interesting because 2014 Forest Hills Drive was really good (double plat with no features) but KOD and Eyez Only were much less acclaimed by fans (although popular). KOD is better than Eyez Only in terms of Twitterscape reception, with ATM and Kevin's Heart being general favorites. He has his own very distinct style when it comes to beats and lyricism. Friday Night Lights was a really fucking good mixtape.

Drake is obviously super popular, and he's interesting because I personally kind of liked most of his music but wasn't crazy about it, but as I listed more it gets better. God's Plan is super popular right now. It seems like every single he releases is its own distinct hit.

Kanye is Kanye. Twisted Fantasy (possible album of the decade), Throne, Yeezus, and Pablo all since 2010. Super controversial but all time best seller.

Chance the Rapper is super popular but for whatever reason I'm not really into a lot of his music. I'm so fucking white.

If you count Frank Ocean he's had two super highly acclaimed albums recently with channel ORANGE and blonde.

Post Malone is super popular right now and outside of Logic and Eminem is easily the best white Hip Hop guy. beerbongs and bentleys was fucking great. Lots of hits.

DJ Khaled has been successful but fuck that guy, he just dickrides more talented acts with his beats.

Childish Gambino is really fucking good. This is America just came out but just shows what he can do as an artist.

Rae Srummurd's album just came out but he makes good music. Powerglide is great despite being overplayed, then there are songs like Black Beatle.

Lil Uzi is really new to the game, but has already dropped several bangers, even though his last song was shit. Tour Llif3 was really good.

Earl Sweatshirt is a guy that I haven't listened to but my friends swear he is super talented. Same goes with Logic.

NF has talent but Christian rap doesn't really count. The white boy in me loves his music.

If you're into the more comedic genre Lil Dicky is really really talented but fucks around a lot. Freaky Friday with Chris Brown was really good shit.

I don't understand what's happening.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    there was a period of the mid-late 00s where I swear to god Timbaland was in every single song out.
  • NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    We might have to be a little more creative than just decades to properly weigh how stacked the 90s would be.

I thought a little and here’s my first pass 8 team bracket for the last 10ish years, based kinda on personal preference but mostly on mainstream popularity:

1. Kendrick
    2. Drake
    3. J Cole
    4. Migos
    5. Post Malone
    6. Childish Gambino
    7. Future
    8. Macklemore

Guys like Kanye and lil Wayne should be in the 2000s bracket.
    NEsnake12 said:

We might have to be a little more creative than just decades to properly weigh how stacked the 90s would be.

I thought a little and here’s my first pass 8 team bracket for the last 10ish years, based kinda on personal preference but mostly on mainstream popularity:

1. Kendrick
    2. Drake
    3. J Cole
    4. Migos
    5. Post Malone
    6. Childish Gambino
    7. Future
    8. Macklemore

I think Kanye's work the lastdecade has been more influential than his earlier stuff (though I prefer the earlier stuff). He belongs here IMO. With you on Weazy.
    dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

1. Kendrick
    2. Drake
    3. J Cole
    4. Migos
    5. Post Malone
    6. Childish Gambino
    7. Future
    8. Macklemore

I think Kanye's work the lastdecade has been more influential than his earlier stuff (though I prefer the earlier stuff). He belongs here IMO. With you on Weazy.
    I always think of Graduation as Kanye’s peak popularity, and that was circa 2007. Maybe he does fit slightly better in the 2010’s... but I think there’s less depth in the 2000s rappers so for balance reasons put him there.
  • Bad_MotherDuckerBad_MotherDucker Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,309
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Worthy of consideration fo a 1 seed:

Groups
    Public Enemy
    Run DMC
    NWA
    Wu Tang
    Outkast

Chindividuals
    Snoop
    Pac
    Biggie
    Lil Wayne
    Kanye
    Jay Z
    Eminem

That's the list. You could maybe talk me into an Eric B and Rakim, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, the Roots or Big Daddy Kane if I"m feeling generous, but there's really nobody else who transcends the genre the way these do.

If black people don't like your shit you're not a fucking one seed in a rap battle.

I think you have to seed Dre as an individual and he's a 1
    He’s not really a legendary emcee though. Producer yes. Lyricist he has one legendary album a decent one spread out over a decade.

I think Ice Cube is much closer to a one by himself than Dre, and I fucking love Dre.
    If the qualifications are just emcee I agree. I'd hope that the committee looks at overall chinfluence in which case Dre is unparalleled
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    yeah its pretty easy actually.

Quick name 5 rap songs that everyone knows the lyrics to.

like 3 of them are Dre.
    NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

1. Kendrick
    2. Drake
    3. J Cole
    4. Migos
    5. Post Malone
    6. Childish Gambino
    7. Future
    8. Macklemore

I always think of Graduation as Kanye’s peak popularity, and that was circa 2007. Maybe he does fit slightly better in the 2010’s... but I think there’s less depth in the 2000s rappers so for balance reasons put him there.
    You think the 2010s is deeper than 2000s?

2000s gets:

Outkast
    Fiddy
    Nelly
    Luda
    Hova
    TI
    Jeezy
    Weezy
    Shady
    The Game
    Missy
    Ghostface Killa
    Cam'Ron
    Soul'jah Boy
    Fabolous
    Chamillionaire
    Scarface
    Timbaland
    Three Six

And possibly Nas (hard one to nail down)

I'm taking that bracket over 2010s rather easily.
    dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

1. Kendrick
    2. Drake
    3. J Cole
    4. Migos
    5. Post Malone
    6. Childish Gambino
    7. Future
    8. Macklemore

2000s gets:

Outkast
    Fiddy
    Nelly
    Luda
    Hova
    TI
    Jeezy
    Weezy
    Shady
    The Game
    Missy
    Ghostface Killa
    Cam'Ron
    Soul'jah Boy
    Fabolous
    Chamillionaire
    Scarface
    Timbaland
    Three Six

Good list but watch me do the same.

-8 already listed (Drake, Kendrick, J Cole, Migos, Post, Bino, Future, Mackelmore)
    Chance the Rapper
    Kid Cudi
    Tyler the Creator
    Run the Jewels/Killer Mike
    Schoolboy Q
    2 Chainz/Gucci Mane/all other Atlanta trap
    Danny Brown
    Brockhampton
    Travis Scott
    Vince Staples
    Logic
    Meek Mill
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

dnc said:

80s
    90s
    00s
    teens

Pac
    Biggie
    Dre
    Ice Cube
    Goodie Mobb
    Bushwick Bill
    Jadakiss
    Warren G
    Too Short
    Redman
    Juvy
    E40
    Mace
    Mobb Deep
    Tribe Called Quest
    Naughty By Nature

Stacked era.

I don't understand what's happening.
    Bored motto?
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

dnc said:

NEsnake12 said:

1. Kendrick
    2. Drake
    3. J Cole
    4. Migos
    5. Post Malone
    6. Childish Gambino
    7. Future
    8. Macklemore

2000s gets:

Outkast
    Fiddy
    Nelly
    Luda
    Hova
    TI
    Jeezy
    Weezy
    Shady
    The Game
    Missy
    Ghostface Killa
    Cam'Ron
    Soul'jah Boy
    Fabolous
    Chamillionaire
    Scarface
    Timbaland
    Three Six

I agree with most of what you said in the thread. But fuck off for saying OutKast is in the 2000s.