Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Sweet 16 (late 1970's to mid 1980's) - #3 Van Halen vs #7 Queen

Comments

• backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    #7 Queen

No judgement, but I’m kinda surprised @GrundleStiltzkin and @YellowSnow voted for Van Halen.

I like Queen fine and they had some great songs, but they just don't do it for me in the way the Diamond Dave era VH does. I've played the shit out of all of the first 6 VH records to the point of wearing out the grooves figuratively speaking, of course (my TT is set up perfectly with a tracking force of 1.75 grams).
    El oh el.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #7 Queen
    If this had been between Queen and Diamond Dave's Van Heflin, I'd have trouble choosing. But, in the end, Queen never hired fucking Sammy Hagar.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

If this had been between Queen and Diamond Dave's Van Heflin, I'd have trouble choosing. But, in the end, Queen never hired fucking Sammy Hagar.

I get the Van Hagar hate but Sammy had a great solo career in the 70's and made my final play list with three songs

And one of the best ever Live from Darryl's Place

Queen is meh. I remember when they came out and a friend was raving about them. I pointed out that they were nothing special
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #7 Queen

BearsWiin said:

I get the Van Hagar hate but Sammy had a great solo career in the 70's and made my final play list with three songs

Queen is meh. I remember when they came out and a friend was raving about them. I pointed out that they were nothing special
    Nothing in Sammy's solo career comes close to being as good as Rock Candy. He's better when somebody else writes his material.

Hagar got better when he joined Van Heflin. Van Heflin got worse when he joined them.

Never really liked Queen as a kid. We'd go to Europe and see their concert poasters plastered all over the place, and I could never figure it out. I like Queen more the older I get, same with Bob Seger.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 Van Halen
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

Nothing in Sammy's solo career comes close to being as good as Rock Candy. He's better when somebody else writes his material.

Hagar got better when he joined Van Heflin. Van Heflin got worse when he joined them.

Never really liked Queen as a kid. We'd go to Europe and see their concert poasters plastered all over the place, and I could never figure it out. I like Queen more the older I get, same with Bob Seger.
    Bob Seger is an underrated genius.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

Rock Candy is one of the three

Your Love is Driving Me Crazy

I'll find Love Again
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,226
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    #3 Van Halen

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

*Rock Candy is one of the three

I'll find Love Again
    *Montrose track when Sammy was the lead/only singer - fun album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtDO3qBo72M

I like this better though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxUgW5CLk18
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 Van Halen
    Wow - the gayme is tied up 20-20 with less than 24 hours to go. So far, I've only had to use my tie breaking skillz once which is a good thing.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    #3 Van Halen
    I like Queen, but their greatest hits album does not come close to how comprehensive Van Halen's is from the DLR years. A lot of people in here need some perspective.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #7 Queen

I like Queen, but their greatest hits album does not come close to how comprehensive Van Halen's is from the DLR years. A lot of people in here need some perspective.

OK!
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,649
    edited May 2018
    #3 Van Halen

Wow - the gayme is tied up 20-20 with less than 24 hours to go. So far, I've only had to use my tie breaking skillz once which is a good thing.

All this Queen love just tells me there is a disproportionate number of closeted fags on HH.

• chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 Van Halen

All this Queen love just tells me there is a disproportionate number of closeted fags on HH.

This game has brought down the closet doors...NTTAWWT
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #7 Queen

Butt rock is what frat boys listen to while munching on their gookie cookie. It's the height of closeted poofery. HTH.
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,379
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    #3 Van Halen

Butt rock is what frat boys listen to while munching on their gookie cookie. It's the height of closeted poofery. HTH.
    I don't think you know what butt rock is.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    #7 Queen

I was born long after Mercury died and Queen is just better. Die

You were born long after 1991? Are you like 12?
  • JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,055
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    #3 Van Halen

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

I'll find Love Again

This whole album kicks ass and honestly predates Eddie Van Halen with the hot rodded out amplifiers
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,713
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    #3 Van Halen
    Classick rock radio overplayed VH for many years and I started to hate some of their songs, but they were pretty influential and have some rocking tunes. Queen screwed around with operas and weird new wave styles too much. Plus they aren't Americans.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,226
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    #3 Van Halen

BearsWiin said:

BearsWiin said:

I'll find Love Again

This whole album kicks ass and honestly predates Eddie Van Halen with the hot rodded out amplifiers
    You have great taste my fren. Cheers.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #3 Van Halen
    Poles are closed. Queen pulls away late in the 4th to win 25-21.