Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Surface Tablet

uw2010uw2010 Member Posts: 940
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
I've kind of been thinking about picking up a tablet for the past couple of months now. I know the Surface compared to other tablets isn't that great, but it looks like Microsoft is trying to get rid of some old stock of original Surfaces this weekend so they dropped the price to $199. Does anyone out there have a Surface and can offer up some thoughts? I've heard it can be a bit glitchy at times, but this seems like a pretty decent price point for what you get relative to the market. I use Office a lot for work, but I can't really imagine using a tablet for that kind of stuff (especially Excel), so the main selling points of the Surface aren't necessarily that strong for me. I honestly don't know what I'm looking for in a tablet, but I figure I might as well pick one up eventually and see if it's worth it. I'd probably mostly use it on the couch while watching TV. Basically I'm wondering, go or no go for the Surface at $199?

Comments

• Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Considering it was $500 last year at this time, why not? 2 hundo is pretty cheap for a tablet anyway. Plus if you buy it at Best Buy you have like 45 days to take it back if you don't like it.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Nexus Google 7.

Fuck Microsoft.
  • Options
    uw2010uw2010 Member Posts: 940
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye said:

Nexus Google 7.

Fuck Microsoft.

I thought about the Nexus 7, but I think I want a little bigger screen. The Surface is kind of a moot point now because I didn't buy it last night and when I woke up both Best Buy and the Microsoft store were out of stock.
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    If you can get it for $199 it's a good value. If not already, upgrade it to Windows 8.1. It's pretty nice and easy to use. I have one. It's a tablet, there are many like it, but this one well, similar to others. Except it does have office, which is nice. The cameras are not good; if that is important to you in a tablet. The rearview facing camera is good enough for Skype. The other nice part is you can pin all of the apps you really care about onto your home screen with live updates. The kickstand seemed gimmicky at first but I really like the functionality of it now. And having a detachable keyboard is also great. The application selection isn't as good as other Apple or Google but it's catching up quickly. Oh, and it has a USB port which allows you to add a mouse or use a portable hard drive. But, for a little more money you can get all the same functionality with better cameras from one of Microsoft's OEM partners. Check out Dell.

-WindowsTabletSuperiorityGuy.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,086
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Since neither of us know exactly what your needs are I can't really help a lot. I was really close to getting a Microsoft tablet (probably Surface Pro 2) but instead got a Vaio Flip 13. Again, no idea what your needs are and it sounds like low price is a major interest of yours but I like my Flip 13.
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    I also have a Dell XPS 12. It's awesome and now I really don't have a large need for a tablet.
    Mad_Son said:

Since neither of us know exactly what your needs are I can't really help a lot. I was really close to getting a Microsoft tablet (probably Surface Pro 2) but instead got a Vaio Flip 13. Again, no idea what your needs are and it sounds like low price is a major interest of yours but I like my Flip 13.

• Options
    section8section8 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It was glitchy with Windows 8, but the 8.1 OS is stable and makes the thing seem better. I stopped carrying ipad+laptop and just went to the Surface with the keyboard for travel and it's great.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,086
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    DeepSeaZ said:

I also have a Dell XPS 12. It's awesome and now I really don't have a large need for a tablet.

Mad_Son said:

Yeah I like the look of that one too. I think hybrid laptops and Surface (tablet w/ keyboard) is the way to go moving forward. Not worth replacing a current laptop you like but next purchase it is well worth considering.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Considering it was $500 last year at this time, why not? 2 hundo is pretty cheap for a tablet anyway. Plus if you buy it at Best Buy you have like 45 days to take it back if you don't like it.

Sound like you like to call two hundred, 2 hundo...sounds cooler and saves typing. That's what you like to do.