Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Would a 1970 Beatles album have been their greatest work? Aka higher level Fab 4 discussion

124»

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,708
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    George became a profound songwriter.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,794
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

That's the key to my counterfactual- i.e., quality of George's 1969- 70 songwriting. He had pulled even with John and Paul and had the best of first 3 former Beatle solo albums.
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,740
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

Oh Yoko is okay if you're in the mood.

Or if youre Wes Anderson
    That fucko Wes has been plagiarizing my shitty soundtrack ideas for year. The Who's "A Quick One While He's Away" was heavy in my rotation well before Rushmore.
    Watch your tone when you talk about a Houston legend.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Or if youre Wes Anderson
    That fucko Wes has been plagiarizing my shitty soundtrack ideas for year. The Who's "A Quick One While He's Away" was heavy in my rotation well before Rushmore.
    You probably went to St John's School.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,240
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    All this Beatles discussion without the bored remembering that the Fab 4 provided Tiffany the inspiration for the soundtrack for the TSIO bored and basically this entire shithole?

"I Saw Him Standing There"
    (originally by The Beatles)

I saw him standing there
    I saw him standing there
    You were just seventeen way beyond compare

Well, he was just seventeen
    And you know what I mean
    And the way he looked was way beyond compare
    I never danced with another
    Whoo, when I saw him standing there
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

Wings is one of the best bands ever.

The thing is, John was like the banana in a banana split. You take him out of that shit, you've just got a banana... but it sets off the ice cream and ice cream by itself is better than ice cream with something a little bitter or natural; so Paul was always a little too goofy and shit, but the Wings albums are pretty fucking money.

Still, let's never forget that Lennon did fucking 'Whatever gets you through the night'. Let's not act like he was some fucking amazing artist in the 70s. He was a madman when he lived in LA and used to hang out at my favorite LA bar, the Rainbow with Mickey Dolenz, Alice Cooper, Harry Nilsson, Ringo Starr, Keith Moon and Bob Brown.

My favorite Lennon song following the Beatles (well, I suppose he was still technically in the Beatles) is 'Hold on John'.

But his albums past imagine are dry as fuck. Ringo never did anything worthwhile and George had like 3 good songs (Wah Wah, What is Life, Awaiting on You All, maybe a couple more).

Wings has endless fucking amazing songs. Sure, some are corny - but Jet is fucking amazing, Let Me Roll It, the aforementioned Every Night, Some People Never Know, Tomorrow... Another Day.

Fucking Lennon went to shit, man. He had Imagine and Jealous Guy and that's pretty much it. Oh Yoko is okay if you're in the mood.

The Rainbow is awesome. A little too much of an older crowd for my likes, but still a cool place.
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,740
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

Or if youre Wes Anderson
    You probably went to St John's School.
    I went to Lamar across the street, aka "Grover Cleveland" in Rushmore.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    89ute said:

I started thinking about this because it's a great question ... but now I'm pissed off and teary eyed because some fuckhead killed Lennon.

I loved Double Fantasy.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

The thing is, John was like the banana in a banana split. You take him out of that shit, you've just got a banana... but it sets off the ice cream and ice cream by itself is better than ice cream with something a little bitter or natural; so Paul was always a little too goofy and shit, but the Wings albums are pretty fucking money.

Still, let's never forget that Lennon did fucking 'Whatever gets you through the night'. Let's not act like he was some fucking amazing artist in the 70s. He was a madman when he lived in LA and used to hang out at my favorite LA bar, the Rainbow with Mickey Dolenz, Alice Cooper, Harry Nilsson, Ringo Starr, Keith Moon and Bob Brown.

My favorite Lennon song following the Beatles (well, I suppose he was still technically in the Beatles) is 'Hold on John'.

But his albums past imagine are dry as fuck. Ringo never did anything worthwhile and George had like 3 good songs (Wah Wah, What is Life, Awaiting on You All, maybe a couple more).

Wings has endless fucking amazing songs. Sure, some are corny - but Jet is fucking amazing, Let Me Roll It, the aforementioned Every Night, Some People Never Know, Tomorrow... Another Day.

Fucking Lennon went to shit, man. He had Imagine and Jealous Guy and that's pretty much it. Oh Yoko is okay if you're in the mood.

No love for "Mother"? Mother you had me, but I never had you, is as Fast Strategy as it gets. Lennon's first 2 solo efforts - i.e., Plastic Ono and Imagine - we're both classic and ground breaking in their own way. George's first album had closer to 7 or 8 really good songs. Paul had good songs all the way through Band on the Run including all that you mentioned. Hell, I can even get into Venus and Mars / Rock Show when I'm in the mood.
    Yep. I’m with you on most of this... but John basically said “Fuck writing melodies” once Paul was gone.

If you’re in the Beatles - write a damn melody.

No love for "Mother"? Mother you had me, but I never had you, is as Fast Strategy as it gets. Lennon's first 2 solo efforts - i.e., Plastic Ono and Imagine - we're both classic and ground breaking in their own way. George's first album had closer to 7 or 8 really good songs. Paul had good songs all the way through Band on the Run including all that you mentioned. Hell, I can even get into Venus and Mars / Rock Show when I'm in the mood.
    Yep. I’m with you on most of this... but John basically said “Fuck writing melodies” once Paul was gone.

If you’re in the Beatles - write a damn melody.
    I’m just gonna leave this here Dennis.

https://youtu.be/ZhfWiU8wGCc
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,850
    Standard Supporter

If I Needed Someone is my favorite George song. Nice, groovy guitar riff. Doesn't seem to get as much love as some of his other songs, though.
    Swaye's Wigwam

If I Needed Someone is my favorite George song. Nice, groovy guitar riff. Doesn't seem to get as much love as some of his other songs, though.
    People forget that it was George and not the Byrds that first popularized the 12 string electric guitar.
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,850
    Standard Supporter
    edited April 2018
    This video proves why young John Lennon was the best. Sadly, you just don't see many musicians mock retarded people during their concerts anymore these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zDtRLLyAuQ
    Swaye's Wigwam

This video proves why young John Lennon was the best. Sadly, you just don't see many musicians mock retarded people during their concerts anymore these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zDtRLLyAuQ

That's some funny shit there. Lennon definitely wasn't the most PC of guys.