Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Queer eye for the RESIDENT COCKTAIL EXPERT of the Bored regarding Margs??

Comments

• ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

@Dennis_DeYoung would you mind sharing your preferred Marg recipe with us?

The skinny Yellow piss marg calls for 1 part lime juice, 1.5 parts Sauza Hornitos (or El Jimador silver) and 1.5 parts cheap triple sec. Used to use Cointreau or Grand Marnier but felt I liked the flavor better just using the cheap shit. Plus there's more sugar in the cheap, shitty triple sec so one doesn't have to add in any agave syrup or something like that.

I'm mildly offended that you didn't also include asking the person whose name is central to this drink
    Sorry. Didn't mean to be so hurtful. Just had you pegged (not homo) as more of a Kirkland Signature 100% puro de agave sort of guy who wasn't as much into the snobby side of cocktail making like the RESIDENT COCKTAIL EXPURT OF THE BORED.

Speaking of the Costco 100% agave silver - how is it? Saw it's only about $30.00 inclusive of tax for a 1.75L. I went with the 1.75L of Sauza Hornitos which they have now for $41.00 including tax which is a screaming deal. Normally I prefer a silver tequila but the Hornitos Reposado is pretty light stuff.
    I’m way more snobby with my liquor ... just don’t go super crazy with ingredients like DDY does

Tequila is a liquor to me where the quality of the liquor used depends on its purpose. The Costco agave silver is actually quite good for a well liquor use. If I’m looking at a night making a number of marg’s for people it’s a great option. Likewise, I use marg’s a lot in cooking Mexican food whether it being taco meat or as a marinade for chicken. If shooting or going for 1-2 quality drinks in an even going higher quality is always better for the next day. In general, the clearer the tequila the better for me.

My preferred margarita recipe is as follows:

About 40-50% of a glass filled with tequila on ice
    Of the remainder, equal parts triple sec and either lime juice or a margarita mix (I actually prefer Costco’s vs others at liquor stores that are too sugary for my taste but to each their own)

I then make sure that I include anywhere from a half to full squeezes lime in to finish. I’m not a huge salt guy so that isn’t part of anything that I do.
    Mix is for lazy fat fucks with no taste
    Mix is for people that have better things to do than squeezing a shit load of fresh limes
    AKA executive time on the shitter.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,794
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

HERE IS SOME IMPORTANT INFO RE: A MARGARITA... DID YOU DEGENERATE FUCKS KNOW?!?!?

A 'Margarita' is so named because it is a type of drink called a 'Daisy' which is a "sour" (meaning spirit and lemon/lime juice) that uses orange liqueur to sweeten it. A gin daisy is Gin, Lemon, orange liqueur and so on.

It's called 'margarita' because it has Tequila and, as that's from Mexico, the Spanish word for 'daisy' is 'margarita'.

So, people in LA when I lived there and had my illegal cocktail bar, always said they wanted "Tommy's Margaritas" which was a "Margarita" with agave syrup to replace the orange liqueur. Because the people that order that are asshole cocktail snobs with no taste, I would always correct them and tell them a "Tommy's whatever the fuck that is" isn't a "Marg" because a marg is a daisy and they would die on the floor because they suck and I just owned them soooo hard.

Anyway, csb, but the struggle is real in the rarefied cocktail geek air.

ALSO - A BIT ON ORANGE LIQUEUR:

The original orange liqueur was "Curaçao" - which was produced from the rinds of a type of orange that grew on the island of Curaçao called the 'laraha' orange. They made booze out of it because it was too bitter to eat. As such, the original Curaçao is really amazing, because they made it super sweet to combat the bitter, spicy-ness of the laraha peels. It's a very interesting liqueur.

However, this was very sweet originally (all the original drinks with Curaçao have less of it than you would put the typical orange liqueur because of how sweet it is)... so there was a company in France that wanted to enter the market to make an orange liqueur that was less sweet. This company is called Cointreau and their product was called 'Triple Sec' which means 'triple dry' because it was not nearly as sweet originally as Curaçao.

Over time, because of prohibition and people being indiscriminate, Triple Sec and Curaçao started getting packaged as pretty much the same thing and the fact that the original Curaçao company (Curaçao de Curaçao) started making food-coloring infused version of their tipple (blue was the most popular) for marketing purposes, gave people the impression that Curaçao was always blue; and basically just blue triple sec.

These days, one good way to judge orange liqueur (or any liqueur) is by ABV. In general, good ones that aren't insanely sweet and made from corn syrup are north of 35% ABV. Cointreau is 40% and so is most any other good kind. In general, this is a rule because alcohol is much more expensive than water and sugar, which is what takes alcohols place in the bottom shelf brands.

Grand Marnier and Gran Gala are both really good brands of booze, but they are both 'half-brandy, half-orange liqueur' - so they are a bit different. Grand Marnier is only preferred over Gran Gala because of marketing. Don't get me wrong, I love Grand Marnier. That shit is amazing. But, my point is... so is Gran Gala. They are both high quality. But neither are Curaçao and neither are as sweet as Triple Sec.

Also, Pierre Ferrand these days makes a Charlatan product called Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao, which makes no fucking god damn sense, because Curaçao is NOT dry... but it's pretty good as far as triple sec goes. ALTHOUGH THE COMPANY PIERRE FERRAND IS FUCKING EVIL... I honestly know the real Pierre Ferrand and he's a sweet old French cognac maker who is a fucking genius and they are fucking douchebags who stole his business from him. His new company is called Pierre de Segonzac and his products are amazing.

Unfortunately PF as a company is doing some cool stuff, so I can't boycott because of the lack of suitable competitors.

ALSO - IMPORTANT INFO ON TEQUILA

Tequila is an appellation like Bourbon or Champagne. It's from the Tequila region of Jalisco. All Tequila is Mezcal in the same way all Bourbon is Whiskey, but not all Mezcal is Tequila.

Thought you fucks should know.

FINAL NOTE ON MY RECIPE

Also, my recipe is fucking amazing. Try it. Mezcal Margs are fucking unreal. You can up the Milagro to 1oz if you want to think that's more macho, but a Marg is always really tart unless you balance out the acidity. They need a LOT of dilution, too (which is why they do well frozen, they get way more diluted). When you make it with any mix, that shit is basically corn syrup with some citric acid in there, so if you are patting yourself on the back for making 'SKRONG' margs with that shit... yeah, it's like basically entirely syrup. So, sure.

And if you are too fucking lazy to squeeze some limes or lemons, fuck off. Drink it straight out of the bottle you lazy fuck. How fucking hard is it to squeeze a lime? Jesus.

I have a rule at mi casa: ABC

ALWAYS
    BUY
    CITRUS

Take that how you will.

STAY!!!
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,099
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

HERE IS SOME IMPORTANT INFO RE: A MARGARITA... DID YOU DEGENERATE FUCKS KNOW?!?!?

A 'Margarita' is so named because it is a type of drink called a 'Daisy' which is a "sour" (meaning spirit and lemon/lime juice) that uses orange liqueur to sweeten it. A gin daisy is Gin, Lemon, orange liqueur and so on.

It's called 'margarita' because it has Tequila and, as that's from Mexico, the Spanish word for 'daisy' is 'margarita'.

So, people in LA when I lived there and had my illegal cocktail bar, always said they wanted "Tommy's Margaritas" which was a "Margarita" with agave syrup to replace the orange liqueur. Because the people that order that are asshole cocktail snobs with no taste, I would always correct them and tell them a "Tommy's whatever the fuck that is" isn't a "Marg" because a marg is a daisy and they would die on the floor because they suck and I just owned them soooo hard.

The original orange liqueur was "Curaçao" - which was produced from the rinds of a type of orange that grew on the island of Curaçao called the 'laraha' orange. They made booze out of it because it was too bitter to eat. As such, the original Curaçao is really amazing, because they made it super sweet to combat the bitter, spicy-ness of the laraha peels. It's a very interesting liqueur.

However, this was very sweet originally (all the original drinks with Curaçao have less of it than you would put the typical orange liqueur because of how sweet it is)... so there was a company in France that wanted to enter the market to make an orange liqueur that was less sweet. This company is called Cointreau and their product was called 'Triple Sec' which means 'triple dry' because it was not nearly as sweet originally as Curaçao.

Over time, because of prohibition and people being indiscriminate, Triple Sec and Curaçao started getting packaged as pretty much the same thing and the fact that the original Curaçao company (Curaçao de Curaçao) started making food-coloring infused version of their tipple (blue was the most popular) for marketing purposes, gave people the impression that Curaçao was always blue; and basically just blue triple sec.

These days, one good way to judge orange liqueur (or any liqueur) is by ABV. In general, good ones that aren't insanely sweet and made from corn syrup are north of 35% ABV. Cointreau is 40% and so is most any other good kind. In general, this is a rule because alcohol is much more expensive than water and sugar, which is what takes alcohols place in the bottom shelf brands.

Grand Marnier and Gran Gala are both really good brands of booze, but they are both 'half-brandy, half-orange liqueur' - so they are a bit different. Grand Marnier is only preferred over Gran Gala because of marketing. Don't get me wrong, I love Grand Marnier. That shit is amazing. But, my point is... so is Gran Gala. They are both high quality. But neither are Curaçao and neither are as sweet as Triple Sec.

Also, Pierre Ferrand these days makes a Charlatan product called Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao, which makes no fucking god damn sense, because Curaçao is NOT dry... but it's pretty good as far as triple sec goes. ALTHOUGH THE COMPANY PIERRE FERRAND IS FUCKING EVIL... I honestly know the real Pierre Ferrand and he's a sweet old French cognac maker who is a fucking genius and they are fucking douchebags who stole his business from him. His new company is called Pierre de Segonzac and his products are amazing.

Unfortunately PF as a company is doing some cool stuff, so I can't boycott because of the lack of suitable competitors.

Tequila is an appellation like Bourbon or Champagne. It's from the Tequila region of Jalisco. All Tequila is Mezcal in the same way all Bourbon is Whiskey, but not all Mezcal is Tequila.

FINAL NOTE ON MY RECIPE

Also, my recipe is fucking amazing. Try it. Mezcal Margs are fucking unreal. You can up the Milagro to 1oz if you want to think that's more macho, but a Marg is always really tart unless you balance out the acidity. They need a LOT of dilution, too (which is why they do well frozen, they get way more diluted). When you make it with any mix, that shit is basically corn syrup with some citric acid in there, so if you are patting yourself on the back for making 'SKRONG' margs with that shit... yeah, it's like basically entirely syrup. So, sure.

And if you are too fucking lazy to squeeze some limes or lemons, fuck off. Drink it straight out of the bottle you lazy fuck. How fucking hard is it to squeeze a lime? Jesus.

ALWAYS
    BUY
    CITRUS

Take that how you will.

The "daisy" might have been the origination of the margarita. Margarita may have also been the namesake of the inventor or the muse of the drink. It's a hot myth topic. I always grew up hearing the TJ version because of geography but make of it what you will. There's probably at least 20 other stories that this article doesn't mention that I've heard.

the-mystery-behind-who-really-created-the-margarita/
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

FINAL NOTE ON MY RECIPE

ALWAYS
    BUY
    CITRUS

Take that how you will.

NOC
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

FINAL NOTE ON MY RECIPE

ALWAYS
    BUY
    CITRUS

Take that how you will.

NOC
    I wrote this knowing that anything requiring depth of processing is not going to appeal to Beavers.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

FINAL NOTE ON MY RECIPE

ALWAYS
    BUY
    CITRUS

Take that how you will.

The "daisy" might have been the origination of the margarita. Margarita may have also been the namesake of the inventor or the muse of the drink. It's a hot myth topic. I always grew up hearing the TJ version because of geography but make of it what you will. There's probably at least 20 other stories that this article doesn't mention that I've heard.

the-mystery-behind-who-really-created-the-margarita/
    Most drink origin stories are bullshit. There was a very standardized nomenclature for drinks pre-prohibition.

Your authority should always be Andrew Willett or academic scholarship on these topics (which there is a considerable amount of), because Andrew is autistic and insane and there is good scholarship on a lot of this stuff.

Some drinks are easy to trace the origin, “Daiquiri” is named after a beach in Cuba. “Ramos Gin Fizz” is named after a bartender in New Orleans.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,226
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

Tequilla said:

There's a time and a place for both. If I want to impress I can from years of bartending and being a consultant but I'm also perfectly content to drink something simple and decent if I'm camping or just eating tacos with my family at home.

Tequila pics from bottom shelf to top shelf order

Kirkland - Totally acceptable well. Of the cheap name brand tequila's sauza is probably the only one I'd buy.
    Hornitos Repasado (Silver is ok but I actually don't like their anejo) - Price point quality, decent in a drink or by itself. Most bars will have it for a reasonable price.
    Milagro/1800 silver- About the nicest thing I'm willing to put into a drink. Anything nicer and I think you are ruining good tequila with other bullshit.
    Corralejo Repasado - Just drink it. Don't fuck about with it.
    Clase Azul and others- At this point, it's all good. For the price though, either drink it at home or go to a decent tequila bar where you do a legit tasting. Ordering this at a bar that either isn't in Mexico or isn't focused on specifically tequila is ostentatious imo.

Would be happy to read your pics @Tequilla While I'm a fan of good tequilla it isn't necessarily my drink of choice. I drink scotch if it's straight liquor and whiskey as my cocktail choice mostly.

You’ve largely echoed a lot of my thoughts.

My other well would be Cuervo.

Agree that Hornitos is solid. I also will go with some Cazadores as well.

Patron is usually good but IMO largely overpriced

I can't stand Cuervo. Especially because they charge for "brand name appeal". At least where I live Hornitos and Cuervo are the same price point. If Cuervo were more reasonably priced I might consider it but I'd probably still opt for Suaza. I do prefer repasado most of the time over silver though so that colors my choices. The wife prefers silver(and acts a lot less insane on clear liquor) though so I do end up drinking it regularly.

Cazadores is better than Hornitos but usually the price reflects that. If they were the same price I would take Caza all day.

Patron is always priced a tier above where it actually is which is why I never buy it. Good marketing of a mid-tier tequila to convince poor people that it's top shelf liquor. I can usually get an anejo Don Julio for the same price or cheaper as repasado Patron. Patron isn't bad. It's just also not that good.

The new trend in mezcals I have mixed feelings about. While I love a good smokey mezcal I can't stand paying $20 to some hipster bartender for a mezcal margarita. Again, worth trying at home though.
    You haven't tried the right Cuervo then. Jose Cuervo Reserva de la Familia is liquid candy. Would be a total waste in a Margarita, but damn nice for sipping, neat or over a large ice cube. Don Julio 1942 isn't bad in this category either, but IMO, the Reserva is a little tastier.

Disagree a little on the Patron. It has been over hyped a bit, and albeit a bit pricier than the swill normally used in mixed drinks, both Patron Silver and Don Julio Blanco are very mild Tequilas. They are both are easy to shoot and they both make great Margaritas. Worth the upgrade IMO.
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,740
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    If you ever see this, buy it:

Swaye's Wigwam

Is that a butt plug?
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Is that a butt plug?
    Wilbur's dildo
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,460
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Casa Noble anejo is amazing. Tastes like oaky vanilla butter.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So I stumbled on a potential compromise solution that gets me 81% of the Cointreau deliciousness for only 59% of the cost. This stuff is only $25.00 a 5th at Total Wine and was delicious in my Margs on Sunday.

2 Parts Sauza Hornitos Reposado
    1 Part Fresh Lime Juice
    1 Part De Kuyper '03 Orange Liquor
    .75 Parts Simple Syrup

• Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    Tommys Marg

So I stumbled on a potential compromise solution that gets me 81% of the Cointreau deliciousness for only 59% of the cost. This stuff is only $25.00 a 5th at Total Wine and was delicious in my Margs on Sunday.

2 Parts Sauza Hornitos Reposado
    1 Part Fresh Lime Juice
    1 Part De Kuyper '03 Orange Liquor
    .75 Parts Simple Syrup

That's what I've been using. But it was like 16.99 last time I got it

Although I haven't seen it for a year or so
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited April 2018
    For those that don't know, ALL of @Dennis_DeYoung 's life rules are based on an ABC format. Examples:

ALWAYS
    BUY
    CITRUS

ALWAYS
    BASH
    CEDARS

ALWAYS
    BLACK
    COCK

ALWAYS
    BLAME
    COKER

That pretty much sums things up.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

For those that don't know, ALL of @Dennis_DeYoung 's life rules are based on an ABC format. Examples:

ALWAYS
    BUY
    CITRUS

ALWAYS
    BASH
    CEDARS

ALWAYS
    BLACK
    COCK

ALWAYS
    BLAME
    COKER

That pretty much sums things up.

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited April 2018

Swaye said:

ALWAYS
    BUY
    CITRUS

ALWAYS
    BASH
    CEDARS

ALWAYS
    BLACK
    COCK

ALWAYS
    BLAME
    COKER