Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Would a 1970 Beatles album have been their greatest work? Aka higher level Fab 4 discussion

Comments

• uziuzi Member Posts: 1,298
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    As a fan of interesting international music, one of my favorite Beatles songs is Love To You which features the sitar and tabla.

Was going to link it here, but the only youtube version I found had the audio removed for copyright shit.

• chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    uzi said:

As a fan of interesting international music, one of my favorite Beatles songs is Love To You which features the sitar and tabla.

Was going to link it here, but the only youtube version I found had the audio removed for copyright shit.

Used to be able to play Beatles on YouTube.

Love You Too is awesome...a rocking song with Indian instruments.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

I'm not much of a fan of anything Paul did post Beatles though I only know a small percentage of what he recorded.

You could compile a greatest hits of the 70s from John and George and blow anything the Beatles did as a group out of the water in terms of sheer # of great songs. I think those two, especially Lennon, kept Paul from going too light hearted and goofy. Paul kept Lennon a little more grounded and his music a little more consistently listenable since he couldn't let Paul be the only one producing #1 hits.. Keep them all together for another decade and I'm pretty sure they would have kept doing great things as a group.

I think they still would have split up by the early 70's, regardless. Just too many creative differences. But there's no question John and Paul were better in a group than outside of one. John didn't really have many good songs post Imagine (1971) and Paul left to his own devices, was a lightweight, indeed.
    John really didn't try that hard after Imagine. Paul put out a lot more than John, yet they both had about the same amount of good stuff.

Let's not forget, Paul had an ugly divorce from Heather Mills.

At the start of the proceedings Mills asked for £125 million, but McCartney offered £15.8 million

In his judgment, Justice Bennett stated: "The husband's evidence was, in my judgment, balanced. He expressed himself moderately though at times with justifiable irritation, if not anger. He was consistent, accurate and honest. But I regret to have to say I cannot say the same about the wife's evidence. Having watched and listened to her give evidence, having studied the documents, and having given in her favour every allowance for the enormous strain she must have been under (and in conducting her own case) I am driven to the conclusion that much of her evidence, both written and oral, was not just inconsistent and inaccurate but also less than candid. Overall, she was a less than impressive witness."[16] Regarding her career, the judge said: "I find that, far from the husband dictating to and restricting the wife's career and charitable activities, he did the exact opposite. He encouraged it and lent his support, name and reputation to her business and charitable activities. The facts as I find them do not in any way support her claim."[87] In anger at the judgment, Mills threw a pitcher of water on the head of Fiona Shackleton, McCartney's solicitor, in the courtroom.

She only got about 1/4 of what she asked for because.....

Wait for it.....

She didn't have a leg to stand on.

Still wood. Peg leg or no.
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

I'm not much of a fan of anything Paul did post Beatles though I only know a small percentage of what he recorded.

You could compile a greatest hits of the 70s from John and George and blow anything the Beatles did as a group out of the water in terms of sheer # of great songs. I think those two, especially Lennon, kept Paul from going too light hearted and goofy. Paul kept Lennon a little more grounded and his music a little more consistently listenable since he couldn't let Paul be the only one producing #1 hits.. Keep them all together for another decade and I'm pretty sure they would have kept doing great things as a group.

I think they still would have split up by the early 70's, regardless. Just too many creative differences. But there's no question John and Paul were better in a group than outside of one. John didn't really have many good songs post Imagine (1971) and Paul left to his own devices, was a lightweight, indeed.
    John really didn't try that hard after Imagine. Paul put out a lot more than John, yet they both had about the same amount of good stuff.
    Yep. He didn't give a fuck after Imagine. Hence, lost weekend.
  • uziuzi Member Posts: 1,298
    edited April 2018
    chuck said:

uzi said:

Used to be able to play Beatles on YouTube.

Love You Too is awesome...a rocking song with Indian instruments.
    Yeah, anybody that can play the sitar is talented as fuck.

This dude doing a decent cover and playing both instruments is the top return on Youtube now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY3Jn5twwSA
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    Wings is one of the best bands ever.

The thing is, John was like the banana in a banana split. You take him out of that shit, you've just got a banana... but it sets off the ice cream and ice cream by itself is better than ice cream with something a little bitter or natural; so Paul was always a little too goofy and shit, but the Wings albums are pretty fucking money.

Still, let's never forget that Lennon did fucking 'Whatever gets you through the night'. Let's not act like he was some fucking amazing artist in the 70s. He was a madman when he lived in LA and used to hang out at my favorite LA bar, the Rainbow with Mickey Dolenz, Alice Cooper, Harry Nilsson, Ringo Starr, Keith Moon and Bob Brown.

My favorite Lennon song following the Beatles (well, I suppose he was still technically in the Beatles) is 'Hold on John'.

But his albums past imagine are dry as fuck. Ringo never did anything worthwhile and George had like 3 good songs (Wah Wah, What is Life, Awaiting on You All, maybe a couple more).

Wings has endless fucking amazing songs. Sure, some are corny - but Jet is fucking amazing, Let Me Roll It, the aforementioned Every Night, Some People Never Know, Tomorrow... Another Day.

Fucking Lennon went to shit, man. He had Imagine and Jealous Guy and that's pretty much it. Oh Yoko is okay if you're in the mood.

chuck said:

Let's not forget, Paul had an ugly divorce from Heather Mills.

At the start of the proceedings Mills asked for £125 million, but McCartney offered £15.8 million

In his judgment, Justice Bennett stated: "The husband's evidence was, in my judgment, balanced. He expressed himself moderately though at times with justifiable irritation, if not anger. He was consistent, accurate and honest. But I regret to have to say I cannot say the same about the wife's evidence. Having watched and listened to her give evidence, having studied the documents, and having given in her favour every allowance for the enormous strain she must have been under (and in conducting her own case) I am driven to the conclusion that much of her evidence, both written and oral, was not just inconsistent and inaccurate but also less than candid. Overall, she was a less than impressive witness."[16] Regarding her career, the judge said: "I find that, far from the husband dictating to and restricting the wife's career and charitable activities, he did the exact opposite. He encouraged it and lent his support, name and reputation to her business and charitable activities. The facts as I find them do not in any way support her claim."[87] In anger at the judgment, Mills threw a pitcher of water on the head of Fiona Shackleton, McCartney's solicitor, in the courtroom.

She only got about 1/4 of what she asked for because.....

Wait for it.....

She didn't have a leg to stand on.

This inspired the line in UGK/Outkast's Intl Player's Anthem:

Ask Paul McCartney
    The lawyers couldn't stop me
    Slaughterin' them pockets
    Had to tie her to a rocket
    Swaye's Wigwam

The thing is, John was like the banana in a banana split. You take him out of that shit, you've just got a banana... but it sets off the ice cream and ice cream by itself is better than ice cream with something a little bitter or natural; so Paul was always a little too goofy and shit, but the Wings albums are pretty fucking money.

Still, let's never forget that Lennon did fucking 'Whatever gets you through the night'. Let's not act like he was some fucking amazing artist in the 70s. He was a madman when he lived in LA and used to hang out at my favorite LA bar, the Rainbow with Mickey Dolenz, Alice Cooper, Harry Nilsson, Ringo Starr, Keith Moon and Bob Brown.

My favorite Lennon song following the Beatles (well, I suppose he was still technically in the Beatles) is 'Hold on John'.

But his albums past imagine are dry as fuck. Ringo never did anything worthwhile and George had like 3 good songs (Wah Wah, What is Life, Awaiting on You All, maybe a couple more).

Wings has endless fucking amazing songs. Sure, some are corny - but Jet is fucking amazing, Let Me Roll It, the aforementioned Every Night, Some People Never Know, Tomorrow... Another Day.

Fucking Lennon went to shit, man. He had Imagine and Jealous Guy and that's pretty much it. Oh Yoko is okay if you're in the mood.

No love for "Mother"? Mother you had me, but I never had you, is as Fast Strategy as it gets. Lennon's first 2 solo efforts - i.e., Plastic Ono and Imagine - we're both classic and ground breaking in their own way. George's first album had closer to 7 or 8 really good songs. Paul had good songs all the way through Band on the Run including all that you mentioned. Hell, I can even get into Venus and Mars / Rock Show when I'm in the mood.

No love for "Mother"? Mother you had me, but I never had you, is as Fast Strategy as it gets. Lennon's first 2 solo efforts - i.e., Plastic Ono and Imagine - we're both classic and ground breaking in their own way. George's first album had closer to 7 or 8 really good songs. Paul had good songs all the way through Band on the Run including all that you mentioned. Hell, I can even get into Venus and Mars / Rock Show when I'm in the mood.
    Yep. I’m with you on most of this... but John basically said “Fuck writing melodies” once Paul was gone.

If you’re in the Beatles - write a damn melody.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    One of my pet peeves with music is when I hear somebody criticize somebody for putting out something “poppy” (translated commercial and popular) vs something pushing limits and/or speaking to societal issues. There’s room for both and one isn’t necessarily better than the other.

It’s like watching a movie and seeing a nominated movies being some indy production that addresses a social issue or whatever yet makes little at the box office and can be a chore to watch. In contrast you have movies from someone like Adam Sandler that will rarely be accused of being thought provoking yet make you smile/laugh, are easy watches, and tend to make a lot of money.

Rant over
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

One of my pet peeves with music is when I hear somebody criticize somebody for putting out something “poppy” (translated commercial and popular) vs something pushing limits and/or speaking to societal issues. There’s room for both and one isn’t necessarily better than the other.

It’s like watching a movie and seeing a nominated movies being some indy production that addresses a social issue or whatever yet makes little at the box office and can be a chore to watch. In contrast you have movies from someone like Adam Sandler that will rarely be accused of being thought provoking yet make you smile/laugh, are easy watches, and tend to make a lot of money.

Rant over

I'll preface this comment by noting that the Beatles are not my favorite band of all time - the Rolling Stones are GOAT - but one of the things that sets the Beatles apart really from almost any other artists in history (doesn't matter we're talking painting, music, etc.) is that they were simultaneously the BEST and the MOST POPULAR at their craft. Elvis, for instance, was the most popular of his era, but hard to say if he was the best.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

Rant over

I'll preface this comment by noting that the Beatles are not my favorite band of all time - the Rolling Stones are GOAT - but one of the things that sets the Beatles apart really from almost any other artists in history (doesn't matter we're talking painting, music, etc.) is that they were simultaneously the BEST and the MOST POPULAR at their craft. Elvis, for instance, was the most popular of his era, but hard to say if he was the best.
    That’s really the unicorn combo right?

How many times has that happened in history where the best band/artist was the most popular? Maybe just The Beatles and peak Jacko ... and in both instances that “top of the mountain” status only really maintains for a short period of time
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,850
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Watching the Wheels is a better song than any song Paul did post Beatles.

John and Paul's best shit all came from the Beatles, though. Paul was more of a technical writer/composer, and John was more of a groove writer/composer.

• chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

John and Paul's best shit all came from the Beatles, though. Paul was more of a technical writer/composer, and John was more of a groove writer/composer.

Couldn't agree more.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Watching the wheels is better than anything Paul did after 1973. Up till Band on the Run, he had some great tracks on his early solo albums.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,226
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

They were good, but I wouldn't put them in one of the best bands ever category.

I missed this show when they rolled through town in 1976, but had a copy of Wings over America on eight track. It did manage to get played enough for both tapes to be eaten (the demise of many eight track tapes).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4r-OG7Jrtk
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,740
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited April 2018

Oh Yoko is okay if you're in the mood.

Or if youre Wes Anderson
    Swaye's Wigwam

Oh Yoko is okay if you're in the mood.

Or if youre Wes Anderson
    That fucko Wes has been plagiarizing my shitty soundtrack ideas for year. The Who's "A Quick One While He's Away" was heavy in my rotation well before Rushmore.