Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Losers Lose - Facebook Edition

pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,680
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
edited March 2018 in Tug Tavern
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-03-20/facebook-not-cambridge-analytica-is-the-source-of-the-problem

Facebook is being hammered for allowing the data firm Cambridge Analytica to acquire 50 million user profiles in the U.S., which it may or may not have used 1 to help the Trump campaign. But the outrage misses the target: There's nothing Cambridge Analytica could have done that Facebook itself doesn't offer political clients.

Cambridge Analytica is old news for anybody who actually pays attention. We're talking Nov '16 - google it.

Facebook got beat at their own game. But the drumbeat of faux outrage continues.

As always, losers lose.

Comments

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    That's what happens when you have a monopoly like Amazon.
  • Dude61Dude61 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,226
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Exxon spills oil, they clean it up and pay a fine.

Facebook spills personal data, people tweak their privacy settings and vow never to use Facebook again.

Amazon is nearing Sherman Anti-Trust territory.

Will be interesting to see how gubment deals with digital era problems.
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,850
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Dude61 said:

Hopefully by staying the fuck out of them.

If people want to use freely accessible areas of the internet to gain an advantage for anything, then let them. If their competition doesn't like it, then their competition needs to get off their ass(es) and do the same thing.

But instead, we like to let people who cry "hey, no fair!" have their lazy ass pathetic fucking way. Society is largely addicted to the process of turning to government to solve every little ticky tack problem. It's as if most people are operating at a low level of consciousness, and don't fully understand the potential of their own humanity.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    Standard Supporter

Dude61 said:

If people want to use freely accessible areas of the internet to gain an advantage for anything, then let them. If their competition doesn't like it, then their competition needs to get off their ass(es) and do the same thing.

But instead, we like to let people who cry "hey, no fair!" have their lazy ass pathetic fucking way. Society is largely addicted to the process of turning to government to solve every little ticky tack problem. It's as if most people are operating at a low level of consciousness, and don't fully understand the potential of their own humanity.
    This guy gets it
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,740
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited March 2018

Dude61 said:

This is tricky because they are now in the business of influencing elections and other things with massive stakes. Should platforms like Facebook be allowed to take on political clients or their agencies? I don't believe they should as it goes well beyond marketing and promotion. It is psychological manipulation. And yeah, you can say well isn't that what marketing is anyway? For sure to a point, but imo there is a big difference between a sign in a front yard, a TV campaign ad, and what these data tools do.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Dude61 said:

Facebook spills personal data, people tweak their privacy settings and vow never to use Facebook again.

This is what the end of Net Nootrality has brought PEOPLE!!!!!!!
  • Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,850
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

This is tricky because they are now in the business of influencing elections and other things with massive stakes. Should platforms like Facebook be allowed to take on political clients or their agencies? I don't believe they should as it goes well beyond marketing and promotion. It is psychological manipulation. And yeah, you can say well isn't that what marketing is anyway? For sure to a point, but imo there is a big difference between a sign in a front yard, a TV campaign ad, and what these data tools do.

I guess this begs the question about why we should be concerned that there are going to be influences on an election. Is it somehow wrong to want a candidate to win? Why do they care? Is there not a legitimate reason? Is it maybe because we've allowed the role of government to become so powerful that it can really fuck people over, and therefore people have a massive incentive to make sure the guy who doesn't fuck them over gets elected? If so, should we not look at ways of limiting government so that people don't have to resort to psychological manipulating a bunch of people on social media?

We don't even ask these questions. We just say "BAN IT! BAN IT! BAN IT!"...like, almost seamlessly and automatically. It's not healthy, IMO.

And like I was saying, I especially don't see the issue since we already know that these types of tactics are being employed by backers of various candidates from both parties. Elections are like sports. Whatever one team is doing to gain an advantage, you bet your as s the other team is doing something similar. In the end, the playing field is level.

• WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,740
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

I guess this begs the question about why we should be concerned that there are going to be influences on an election. Is it somehow wrong to want a candidate to win? Why do they care? Is there not a legitimate reason? Is it maybe because we've allowed the role of government to become so powerful that it can really fuck people over, and therefore people have a massive incentive to make sure the guy who doesn't fuck them over gets elected? If so, should we not look at ways of limiting government so that people don't have to resort to psychological manipulating a bunch of people on social media?

These are definitely fair questions to ask.

And like I was saying, I especially don't see the issue since we already know that these types of tactics are being employed by backers of various candidates from both parties. Elections are like sports. Whatever one team is doing to gain an advantage, you bet your as s the other team is doing something similar. In the end, the playing field is level.

The playing field is definitely level and politicians gonna politic, but these tactics start to become morally and ethically corrupt quickly. This is not a new issue for politics, but in this age the effects are amplified 100x.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,700
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Dude61 said:

Do something.
  • Dude61Dude61 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,226
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Look for the FTC to throw the weight of its new minted jurisdiction around.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I deleted my facebook like 4 years ago. Jesus christ someone put sven in charge.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Why anyone felt the need to stay on it once their mom and aunt and such started messaging them I'll never know.

As soon as family was on it I was out. It was for creeping on hotties and posting pictures of being at parties.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Why anyone felt the need to stay on it once their mom and aunt and such started messaging them I'll never know.

As soon as family was on it I was out. It was for creeping on hotties and posting pictures of being at parties.

Kreist, you don't have to friend your fucking family. I sure as hell don't. Don't let your worlds collide, Jerry.