Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Effect of Student Debt on the Economy Stupid

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

People forget that many universities have endowments that would allow free tuition without the feds paying for it or the student going into debt

If that is aimed at me, I don't recall saying "many", but they are out there. I have two kids attending two separate such places.

Of course, we're full pay, so what do I know?

You all sound poor.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,713
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    It's interesting that 50, 60 years ago way fewer people got bachelor's. We're talking about ten percent give or take. Now it's just a business in many ways instead of a public good.

Certainly the cost of education has escalated....but let's not discount the lack of personal responsibility of the millennials/millennials parents for lusting over bachelors degrees from elite public and private institutions.

Nothing wrong with a couple years at a community college getting the basics out of the way dirt cheap and then moving to a four-year.

I weep virtually no tears and give no fucks over student debt loads.

That said, Jake Browning sucks and college administrators should be forced to live on half their salary.

Yes, there is. CC is for losers who couldn't get their shit together in high school, which isn't really that hard to do. That tendency tends to follow you through life. I know 25 people who went the CC route; 24 of them wasted their time and should have just gone into a trade. And that's the population with which you'll be rubbing intellectual elbows for your first two years+. Sounds like a great plan. These are the people who continue saying "I seen that," well into their 30s and beyond.

No thanks. Creepy's kids are smart, and thus attend PRIVATE school all four years with other smart people. That's what makes you smart; not the author of the text book. Plus, it ups the odds that my grandcreepys will be smart, since that's the pool they'll likely draw from.

You get what you pay for.

People forget that many universities have endowments that would allow free tuition without the feds paying for it or the student going into debt

Harvard's endowment is $36 Billion. Bama's is $632 Million. Harvard should hire Saban and quit sucking at football.
    Pomona's endowment is over $2 B for 1600 kids. Do the maff. They don't really need your fucking tuition money, but the school is such a draw that people who aren't poor gladly pay full price if their kids can get in, so they're never even approaching, much less pushing, their financial limits.

So, yes. If there is a smart poor kid they want to admit, they don't pay a fucking penny, ever. No loans, no nothin'. They have more money than they know what to do with, and still the market price of their tuition goes up. There are probably, like, 20 to 25 schools in this category.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Vocational, Professional, Communications,Business Services and Teaching degrees.

Everything else needs to GTFO!!! If you wanna be a philosophy major, due it on your own time and dime. No grants or loans for that shit.

It's interesting that 50, 60 years ago way fewer people got bachelor's. We're talking about ten percent give or take. Now it's just a business in many ways instead of a public good.

Agreed. Too many people from loser families have been convinced they need to go to college to complete their lives.

The truth is a degree in Sports Management from Central Washington University is just a waste of time, and the opportunity cost of driving the street sweeper for the city for four more years will never be realized.

Let people like me and my kids worry about higher ed. The rest of you should just get the fuck to work.
    edited March 2018
    salemcoog said:

Vocational, Professional, Communications,Business Services and Teaching degrees.

Everything else needs to GTFO!!! If you wanna be a philosophy major, due it on your own time and dime. No grants or loans for that shit.

Spoken like a proud graduate of an agriculture school pretending to be an institution of higher learning.

I take it your sister has the communications degree. Here's some insight from the Creep: Comms degrees are for kids who couldn't handle the reading to be an English major. True story. That's why UW got rid of their Comms department years ago; it was an academic embarrassment. Although there's a rumor going around they re-opened it, now that they have so much money to spend.

Certainly the cost of education has escalated....but let's not discount the lack of personal responsibility of the millennials/millennials parents for lusting over bachelors degrees from elite public and private institutions.

Nothing wrong with a couple years at a community college getting the basics out of the way dirt cheap and then moving to a four-year.

That said, Jake Browning sucks and college administrators should be forced to live on half their salary.

Yes, there is. CC is for losers who couldn't get their shit together in high school, which isn't really that hard to do. That tendency tends to follow you through life. I know 25 people who went the CC route; 24 of them wasted their time and should have just gone into a trade. And that's the population with which you'll be rubbing intellectual elbows for your first two years+. Sounds like a great plan. These are the people who continue saying "I seen that," well into their 30s and beyond.

No thanks. Creepy's kids are smart, and thus attend PRIVATE school all four years with other smart people. That's what makes you smart; not the author of the text book. Plus, it ups the odds that my grandcreepys will be smart, since that's the pool they'll likely draw from.

Ahhhh!! The Pumpy of the Tug has returned to form.
    salemcoog said:

Ahhhh!! The Pumpy of the Tug has returned to form.
    Nothing Pumpy about it my Kewg bro. I'm entirely serious. I think CCs are a great safety net, and I'm happy to pay my fair share to support them. But that is what they are: a social safety net that, in 99% of the cases, is there to help catch another loser in the game of life.
    They also play a great role in career retraining, etc. I seen it when I was on the harbor with all of those timber guys needing to lern about computers.

But to have gained some economic mobility and to know better and still send one's kids through the academic equivalent of the lowest common denominator? Well, you do what you want. Not for the Creepy Klan.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited March 2018

I disagree on the CC route. I went to a University for four years, but many of my friends went with the CC route, then ended up getting masters degrees. Unless you live below the poverty line, or are a minority, the number of scholarships available has shrunk considerably. In Oregon you can still qualify for the Dean's Scholarship, but that only pays about 25% of your tuition. Responsible students in lower middle class families can take the CC route for two years and get the undergrad done on the cheap while also working a job, and saving it for some of the tuition costs later at the University. It's probable that he/she may still owe some debt, but $10-$15k in school debt is manageable, while $50-$60k in school debt isn't for many.

You worked your ass off and got to where you can send your kids to private school. Props to you on that. Unfortunately, there are many people that aren't as successful as you, and their kids have to suffer some of the burden. The CC route is a way for them to achieve a diploma at a lower cost.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Agreed. Too many people from loser families have been convinced they need to go to college to complete their lives.

The truth is a degree in Sports Management from Central Washington University is just a waste of time, and the opportunity cost of driving the street sweeper for the city for four more years will never be realized.

Let people like me and my kids worry about higher ed. The rest of you should just get the fuck to work.
    We're basically saying the same thing although I'm a softy and don't go the full Creepy dick route. Our Cuntry needs to do a better jerb of sorting kids in HS into who is college material and who should learn a trade. Welders, for example, can earn a six figure income and while that is skilled labor, its doesn't require 4 year degree in ethnic studies.

salemcoog said:

Spoken like a proud graduate of an agriculture school pretending to be an institution of higher learning.

I take it your sister has the communications degree. Here's some insight from the Creep: Comms degrees are for kids who couldn't handle the reading to be an English major. True story. That's why UW got rid of their Comms department years ago; it was an academic embarrassment. Although there's a rumor going around they re-opened it, now that they have so much money to spend.
    What money is there in being a fucking Engrish major????

I disagree on the CC route. I went to a University for four years, but many of my friends went with the CC route, then ended up getting masters degrees. Unless you live below the poverty line, or are a minority, the number of scholarships available has shrunk considerably. In Oregon you can still qualify for the Dean's Scholarship, but that only pays about 25% of your tuition. Responsible poor students in lower middle class families can take the CC route for two years and get the undergrad done on the cheap while also working a job, and saving it for some of the tuition costs later at the University. It's probable that he/she may still owe some debt, but $10-$15k in school debt is manageable, while $50-$60k in school debt isn't for many.

You worked your ass off and got to where you can send your kids to private school. Props to you on that. Unfortunately, there are many people that aren't has successful as you, and their kids have to suffer some of the burden. The CC route is a way for them to achieve a diploma at a lower cost.
    FTFY.

I started my tirade by making clear that CC is for losers. Being the kid of a poor family makes you a loser, unless you opt out. My siblings and I opted out. 85% of my cousins did not. Too bad for them.

CC is fine. But the talent pool you'll be with for 2 years (half your undergraduate years) will be significantly more shallow than even my alma mater, WSU, which is, as I've stated before, a retard factory.

It's a compromise.

Again, you get what you pay for. That a BMW drives better than a Ford Taurus is indisputable. But, yes, the Taurus is cheaper ... much, much cheaper. Cheaper to buy, and cheaper to live with. But the drive sucks ass.

• greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited March 2018
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

English majors usually become language arts teachers. So not a lot of money, but killer benefits.
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Well, once you know the Engrish, any overhead job at any company. HR, Comms, Corporate Affairs, etc. My sister was an English Lit kid and now makes more bank than the Creep (much to his chagrin) at an executive consulting firm in Nueva York. She works for Korn Ferry.

She also could have gone to law school like her brother, or biz school or whatever. Alas, she did not, and likely won't, but could. That's the important part: she could.

Even without that, she could be doing a lot of other things besides consulting, and of course she cannot do a lot of things without going back to school ... just like most people. She won't be designing a bridge or running the derivatives desk at Goldman any time soon.

But she's a great writer, she can critically think her way out of at least a wet paper bag, and she's informed about the world in which she lives. She's also able to make a cogent poont. She's educated. She's hireable; always has been. It's not that complicated. That still matters, despite what the rednecks tell you.

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

English majors usually become language arts teachers. So not a lot of money, but killer benefits.
    For their students in some cases I s'pose.

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Well, once you know the Engrish, any overhead job at any company. HR, Comms, Corporate Affairs, etc. My sister was an English Lit kid and now makes more bank than the Creep (much to his chagrin) at an executive consulting firm in Nueva York. She works for Korn Ferry.

She also could have gone to law school like her brother, or biz school or whatever. Alas, she did not, and likely won't, but could. That's the important part: she could.

Even without that, she could be doing a lot of other things besides consulting, and of course she cannot do a lot of things without going back to school ... just like most people. She won't be designing a bridge or running the derivatives desk at Goldman any time soon.

But she's a great writer, she can critically think her way out of at least a wet paper bag, and she's informed about the world in which she lives. She's also able to make a cogent poont. She's educated. She's hireable; always has been. It's not that complicated. That still matters, despite what the rednecks tell you.
    YKW
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

YKW
    Very good comeback, but not my sister. Even the creep has standards.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

This is similar to what I say in a jerb interview when my liberal arts background comes up- i.e., I tell them I can read and write skrong and complete tasks. I'm smart, not dumb like everyone says. And I want respect.