Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Nate Robinson Offered $$$

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/02/28/nate-robinson-washington-huskies-booster-money?utm_campaign=sinow&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=socialflow_twitter_si

Not sure if this is out here already since the thread titles on this site rarely describe what threads are actually about, so fuck your 53 seconds.

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,727
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    “When they fired Rick Neuheisel my freshman year that made it easy for me to make my decision to quit and go play basketball, which I wanted to do anyway,” Robinson explained. “For my three years at UW, I had a booster offer me $100,000 per year to come back and play football because they needed Nate Robinson back on the football field because we weren’t winning any games, it wasn’t exciting. It was crazy, we went through a dark age at the University of Washington. When Tyrone Willingham was the coach years later, we didn’t win not one game. It was just crazy.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,898
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Just pay the damn players. End the ridiculous charade. Mediocre coaches make 2.75 million a year. These guys don't deserve $125,000?

Don't pay the tennis, volleyball and bi-sexual tranny handball players.
  • Options
    pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    we USED to care about football..
  • Options
    SC_Haden_FruedeSC_Haden_Fruede Member Posts: 151
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Comment
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

Just pay the damn players. End the ridiculous charade. Mediocre coaches make 2.75 million a year. These guys don't deserve $125,000?

Pay one you have to pay them all over all sports the same amount. Same pay scale at every school too

which makes them employees. Not going to happen
    Do all athletes get the stipend football players get?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Pay one you have to pay them all over all sports the same amount. Same pay scale at every school too

No you don't
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I assume you have the answer to your question so go ahead and tell us why that is the same as paying players and we can skip several steps here
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

I assume you have the answer to your question so go ahead and tell us why that is the same as paying players and we can skip several steps here
    That was a legit question, but I was under the impression it doesn't apply to everyone.
  • Options
    AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,007
    Swaye's Wigwam
    How bout this. If a guy wants to get paid, fine, let him. But if he does, he loses his scholarship, his food money, his stipend. So he is off the university books. He still counts as a number on the schollie count, but the university doesn't have to pay him, whoever he is getting the money from has to, and the athlete has to get taxed on their income.

So, use a guy like Baker Mayfield. He was a walk on so no one was paying him his freshman or sophmore year. By his Jr year it was apparent he could get paid. So he has to decide. Does he want to be a college athlete, or a pro athlete paying for college.

If a guy takes money during a year that he is getting scholarship money, he has to pay it all back that year. Year is from August to June. So before the school year starts, you have to decide what you are going to be. Once you go pro, you can't go back to a scholarship athlete. But if you are stupid enough to get paid for two years, fine.

If some agent wants to take a chance with the 7 foot AZ hoops player, fine. If he wants to take the chance with the fast pitch stud like Danielle Lawrie. If he wants to take a chance with Jake Browning (who sucks by the way) Knock yourself out. But you have to pay for their year of education and all the other shit college athletes get also.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

No you don't
    Male and female student-athletes must receive equitable "treatment" and "benefits." I'm not sure how you could possibly get around paying 85 football players without offsetting that with equal payments to 85 female athletes. This would bankrupt just about any program outside of the top 25 in revenue, and I don't know how any non-money male sport could possibly survive as their subsidies from the football and basketball programs would almost certainly be cut.
  • Options
    DawgWagonDanDawgWagonDan Member Posts: 789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

No you don't
    Male and female student-athletes must receive equitable "treatment" and "benefits." I'm not sure how you could possibly get around paying 85 football players without offsetting that with equal payments to 85 female athletes. This would bankrupt just about any program outside of the top 25 in revenue, and I don't know how any non-money male sport could possibly survive as their subsidies from the football and basketball programs would almost certainly be cut.
    NCAA pulled in almost a Billion Dollars and had an 80 million surplus in 2014. Huffington Post is my source:
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/11/ncaa-revenue-2014_n_6851286.html

It probably shouldn't be up to the individual program but the NCAA in my opinion to start sharing proceeds with the athletes that make it happen.