Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Kicker Spooge

FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
With the recent WOOF that resonated with very few cuntries other than north korea, a thought crossed my penal brain. CP has struggled with kicking through his career(at BSU prime example), as have many other top programs in the cuntry. With 85 scholy's, and all the shit prospects that end up never fielding snap, why is there less focus on the kickers who actually fucking change games?

I know there is an easy if you do X, Y happens type of conversation. However if we keep it black and white, if UW has a good kicker they very easily could have won the ASU game and changes the landscape to a top 4. UW isn't unique in this which is why i find it hilarious that kickers are like the retarded kid in the corner. They can be walk on's, shitty soccer players, whatever. But why aren't they more heralded in the recruiting sphere for value considering they are on the team for 4 years? It's almost as if you give a kicker a scholy he's got the job for 4 years regardless of if he's good. There is zero comp. @Dennis_DeYoung . I know kickers are your heritage* so please do not be bashful.

Even treating the kicker like a QB seems logical. 1 per season, maybe 1 every 2 years and create some sort of competition in the slot.

*Racust fucks I was talking about lack of legs for a kicker, not kickers being white

Comments

• Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,294
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    I think the problem is that kicking is extremely mental, and its not easy to tell which kids have the balls to be a college kicker. So you use a scholly on a high rated kicker, and then he sucks, so you give up and put in the walk on. Is that going to make you want to chance another scholarship on another kicker who may or may not end up being good? I just think its really hard to evaluate kickers based on them kicking a few high school field goals, and a few highlights of them drilling kicks from 60 in practice. I think a lot of coaches would rather just take a bunch of good walk on kickers and make one earn a scholarship.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,711
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Oklahoma had six kickers on scholarship one year and they still all sucked.

Just seems like there isn't enough differentiation in talent level to know who is worth a scholarship.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,407
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    UW had a kicker who struggled to make extra points in 90 and 91
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I may be misremembering this, but didn't we lose 3 or 4 games one year because of John Wales? I remember him missing kicks against UCLA and Oregon that year. I think he also midhandled a punt against ND which cost us the game. Again, I could be mistaken. I just remember hating him.

Pretty much

95 against Oregon and ND
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,337
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Seems like UW has had a bipolar experience with kickers. (See what I did there?)

Either they real good or they real bad.
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,444

I may be misremembering this, but didn't we lose 3 or 4 games one year because of John Wales? I remember him missing kicks against UCLA and Oregon that year. I think he also midhandled a punt against ND which cost us the game. Again, I could be mistaken. I just remember hating him.

He missed 2 FGs against USC which ended 21-21. He missed a couple against Oregon and we lost 24-22.

If he made one of them, we would've gone to the Rose Bowl.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Against Oregon he gagged one then the Huskies caused a fumble and got the ball back and Lambo played for the field goal again and he gagged it again

After 94 that was the final piece of evidence that Lambo was over his head as a coach
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    edited January 2018

Against Oregon he gagged one then the Huskies caused a fumble and got the ball back and Lambo played for the field goal again and he gagged it again

After 94 that was the final piece of evidence that Lambo was over his head as a coach

You had to be a MAJOR Doog if you didn't want Lambright fired when Kenny Wheaton crossed midfield.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

You had to be a MAJOR Doog if you didn't want Lambright fired when Kenny Wheaton crossed the Oregon ten.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

You had to be a MAJOR Doog if you didn't want Lambright fired when the team got off the bus
  • Options
    HanseeHall78HanseeHall78 Member Posts: 156
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    In my youth I remember UW K Don Martin was Mr. Automatic for HC Jim Owens.
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It ain't rocket science.

"I think a lot of people that come in from the outside and watch how we do special teams are really surprised how much time Coach Meyer spends on special teams compared to other head coaches," Nuernberger said. "He is in every single special teams meeting. Coach (Kerry) Coombs and Coach Meyer run the meeting. They are really involved in every single phase."

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2017/09/85676/urban-meyers-passion-for-special-teams-stems-from-his-days-at-notre-dame

Just have Urban come coach your program for a few years while Pete watches.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

I went to Jr High and HS with John Wales.

Also -

the point of the poast is a good one. I think you could make an argument that K is the #2 overall position outside of QB in terms of effect on a team. I'm not sure it is, but I think it's fucking important.

If you consistently have one of the top kickers in the country, you are going to win a lot of close games.

If we had Jeff Jaeger (shoutout to another KJH and KM product!) in '16 and '17 we'd have won one more game each year, I think. It makes a big fucking difference to feel like any time you're inside the 40 you are going to score.

Even at Stanford - if we have an automatic kicker, we go up by 10 and probably never look back, but because we're worried Vizcaino can't make a 37 yarder, we go for it and snuff ourselves out.
  • Options
    theLSkidtheLSkid Member Posts: 344

I think the problem is that kicking is extremely mental, and its not easy to tell which kids have the balls to be a college kicker. So you use a scholly on a high rated kicker, and then he sucks, so you give up and put in the walk on. Is that going to make you want to chance another scholarship on another kicker who may or may not end up being good? I just think its really hard to evaluate kickers based on them kicking a few high school field goals, and a few highlights of them drilling kicks from 60 in practice. I think a lot of coaches would rather just take a bunch of good walk on kickers and make one earn a scholarship.

I think you’re overestimating how hard it is to find a good kicker. There are probably 20-something Junior College kickers who have proved they can make everything under 45 yards at the College level. The fact is, I don’t think Pete and his staff want to take the time to sway a Kicker. Hence why we ended up with AJ Carty (yes I know he’s not a kicker, bare with me) but these Special Teams recruits don’t care about much but; A. The Scholarship, B. Winning, and C. Feeling like an ACTUAL player. If Pete and the rest of the staff isn’t willing to pay for an official visit/ a scholarship for the top kicker/punter/longsnapper in the country, they’re not gonna get the best.