Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Random Thoughts on Left Tackle vs Right Tackle

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
edited January 2018 in Hardcore Husky Board
Who the fuck made up that LT is so much more important than RT?

We always hear, “Player X projects as a guard who could slide to right tackle.” Ifedi on the Seahawks is an example of this.

If a guy can’t play LT, than how the fuck can he play RT? I didn’t know defenses couldn’t put their best pass rusher on only one side.

I get the “blind side” stuff. It makes a little bit of sense, but right handed QB’s sometimes look left. Sometimes QB’s scramble. When Browning got destroyed against Rutgers, the rush came from the right while Browning was looking left.

It’s become cliche bullshit that agents and good old boy morons in the NFL took as fact. It’s not. Maybe LT is marginally more important, but an offensive tackle is an offensive tackle.

Anyone have any real evidence why LT is considered more important than RT?

Comments

• Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Who the fuck made up that LT is so much more important than RT?

We always hear, “Player X projects as a guard who could slide to right tackle.” Ifedi on the Seahawks is an example of this.

If a guy can’t play LT, than how the fuck can he play RT? I didn’t know defenses couldn’t put their best pass rusher on only one side.

I get the “blind side” stuff. It makes a little bit of sense, but right handed QB’s sometimes look left. Sometimes QB’s scramble. When Browning got destroyed against Rutgers, the rush came from the right while Browning was looking left.

It’s become cliche bullshit that agents and good old boy morons in the NFL took as fact. It’s not. Maybe LT is marginally more important, but an offensive tackle is an offensive tackle.

The reason it's considered more important was elaborated on in... well, The Blind Side (the book, not the shit movie). Basically, NFL execs crapped their pants when Lawrence Taylor was hitting QB's and strippers both hard from the back, so they put a premium on huge, athletic guys who could stop Taylor at left tackle. Steve Wallace was the example used.

It's probably not really much more important, but Lawrence Taylor's effect made it seem to be so.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Yes.

My center getting screwed
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,583
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Swaye said:

Yes.

I addressed that. LT is considered a premier position but it doesn’t actually make a ton of sense.
    We live in a world where Keanu Reeves has made millions of dollars to act. Nothing makes sense.
    Reeves is awesome
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Yes.

I addressed that. LT is considered a premier position but it doesn’t actually make a ton of sense.
    We live in a world where Keanu Reeves has made millions of dollars to act. Nothing makes sense.
    He and/or his agent is old at picking movies. John Wick’s, Bill and Ted, Point Break, Hardball. I wasn’t a huge Matrix guy, but most people seemed to enjoy those.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Swaye said:

Yes.

John wick is the SHIT
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,576
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye made this thread. LT/RT is cool and all but Center and Keanu made me LOL.
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,979
    5 Up Votes Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    There is certainly less of a difference now. Way more creativity in offensive formations, virtual elimination of the full back and defenses move their playmakers around to find weak spots far more often which means lining their guy up over the right tackle. The two positions will regress towards each other in dollars and perceived importance over time.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,506
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The LT is a remnant from the past when running games were more traditional and teams ran more so that when they did pass it was from the pocket and the blind side mattered more

The dink and dunk run pass option spread it out offense just needs good linemen across the bored
  • Options
    PineapplePiratePineapplePirate Member Posts: 4,012
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    We need a backwards tackle. Someone to block behind Browning as he runs the wrong way down the field.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,977
    Swaye's Wigwam
    MikeMonan said:

It really doesn't matter when you run the spread offense or have a running QB. If you have 30 million dollar QB that cannot run you put your best Tackle on the left. Matters more in the pros with a Tom Brady at QB.

Poast mor