Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

I heard this somewhere

Not sure I totally agree with all of it, but here's the rumor:

"According to 247, we offered around 85 recruits and landed 19. This is a very high success rate. Few teams offer so few scholarships. For reference, Stanford offered 53, while Oregon and Alabama each offered more than 260. Michigan offered 240, tOSU 169, and Notre Dame 178. CP is a fly fisherman and he fishes with the best of them. Oregon and Alabama toss out commercial fishing nets and throw away what they don't want.

I also wanted to see how we faired competing against programs that have an equal or better status on the recruiting trail. This is a challenging task, b/c we don't really know how CP prioritized various recruits and positions. I therefore elected to only count players that we missed b/c:

1) SE talked about the player a lot and so they appeared to be a priority or
2) the player was rated higher than who we actually signed in that position group.

I didn't include players that have not signed yet, like Chris Murray. There are several players that would influence this list when they sign. I'll update in Feb. So, I ended up analyzing what seem to be the top 41 offers (with 19 commits) of players who have all signed as of Thursday.

The data is listed below. Here are the results of the direct recruiting battles with programs similar to ours:

DIRECT RECRUITING BATTLES:

WINS
UW 12 - Oregon 4
UW 9 - UCLA 2
UW 4 - Nebraska 0
UW 4 - Tennesse 0
UW 3 - Alabama 2
UW 3 - Notre Dame 1
UW 3 - Michigan 1
UW 3 - TCU 0
UW 2 - Wisconsin 0
UW 1 - LSU 0

LOSSES
USC 5 - UW 4
FSU 1 - UW 0
Texas 2 - UW 1 - All TX recruits
tOSU 1 - UW 0
Tex A&M 1 - UW 0

TIE
UW 1 - Oklahoma 1

Takeaways:

1. We crushed Oregon and UCLA. We made them look like a bag of wet diapers.
2. Nebraska, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Michigan, Oklahoma, TCU, and Alabama all came west and tried to steal from our hunting grounds and we stood tall. We even snuck into Texas and stole Curne ourselves.
3. USC slightly beat us head to head after a really solid year on their part and winning the Pac12 title. However, they will sign more guys that we are chasing soon.
4. Sadly, Utah, Cal, ASU, UA, Colorado, and Wazzu aren't close enough to even catch our dust. I'm a bit worried about the strength of the Pac12 over the next few years. Hopefully Chip can get UCLA competitive again and Stanford doesn't fall off too much...
5. We didn't go head to head on anyone with Stanford, except Wilson, but we already had 3 WR's in the bag, so it wasn't really a competition.

All this goes to show that we killed it in 2019.

SE - does this data look correct to you in regards to the players we prioritized?

DATA

QB
1. Sirmon - beat LSU, Michigan, Alabama, Nebraska
2. Yankoff - beat Oregon, TCU, Nebraska, Tennessee
- No one else was a serious candidate

RB
3. Newton - didn't have a better offer
4. Pledger - lost to OU
5. Bolden - lost to Alabama

WR
6. Lowe - beat Oregon
7. Spiker - beat USC, Michigan, Oregon, UCLA
8. Osborne - beat Oregon, Miami, Michigan, Tennessee, UCLA
- We signed all 3 so early that it didn't seem like we lost out on a major target

TE
9. Culp - beat Oregon
- No other high priority targets

OT
10. Mele - beat Oregon, Oklahoma, UCLA
11. Ale - beat Oregon, UCLA
12. Angilau - lost to Texas
12. Jaramillo - lost to Oregon
14. Craig - lost to Cal

OG
15. Curne - beat TCU, OK St, UCLA
16. Jones - lost to Oregon

C
17 Dedich - lost to USC

WDE
18 Liu - n/a
19. Latu - lost to Alabama
20. Malik-McLain - lost to USC

SDE
21. Bynum - beat Oregon, Nebraska, UCLA, USC
22. Wright - lost to Tex A/M

DT
23. Taimani - beat Oregon, Alabama, Tennessee, Notre Dame, UCLA, Wisconsin
24. Togiai - lost to tOSU
25. Coburn - lost to Texas
26. Avery - lost to Illinois?!

ILB
27. Kaho - beat Alabama, Notre Dame, Stanford, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, UCLA, USC
28. Gaoteote - lost to USC
29. Lamb - lost to Notre Dame

OLB
30. Mauga - lost to USC
31. Sirmon - beat Wisconsin
32. ZTF - no other better offers

CB
33. Gordon - beat Stanford, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Oregon, TCU, UCLA, USC
34. Hampton - beat Oregon
35. Williams - lost to USC
36. Sims - lost to Michigan
37. McKinley - lost to Oregon

Safety
38. Woodbey - lost to FSU
39. Holland - lost to Oregon
40. Blaylock - lost to UCLA

ATH
41. Addison - lost to UCLA"

Comments

• Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited December 2017
    So where have we landed regarding Bonerpill? He's the recruiting coordinator, so does he get any credit for our overall recruiting success? Next year is a key year to land a good out-of-state RB. Do we think he's up for it?

Also it seems obvious at this point our 10th coach needs to be an EDGE coach. A young guy who can relate to croots is most important, since Kurwa can still help coach them.

Paopao needs to be a secondary recruiter on Poly OL like Sewell and Angilau. What the fuck is he getting paid for right now? Recruiting one in-state TE per year? I like our TEs, but make him earn his pay-check.

Also, I think we beat the @89ute's for Liu, not that it really matters.
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,294
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    This is dope! I think you should probably limit the number of teams we 'beat' for each kid to like 3 because it kinda exaggerates our success in H2H battles. Like TCU was not a contender for Gordon lol
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

This is dope! I think you should probably limit the number of teams we 'beat' for each kid to like 3 because it kinda exaggerates our success in H2H battles. Like TCU was not a contender for Gordon lol

You could potentially limit to if a kid visited the school whether officially or unofficially
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,444
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Not sure I totally agree with all of it, but here's the rumor:

"According to 247, we offered around 85 recruits and landed 19. This is a very high success rate. Few teams offer so few scholarships. For reference, Stanford offered 53, while Oregon and Alabama each offered more than 260. Michigan offered 240, tOSU 169, and Notre Dame 178. CP is a fly fisherman and he fishes with the best of them. Oregon and Alabama toss out commercial fishing nets and throw away what they don't want.

I also wanted to see how we faired competing against programs that have an equal or better status on the recruiting trail. This is a challenging task, b/c we don't really know how CP prioritized various recruits and positions. I therefore elected to only count players that we missed b/c:

1) SE talked about the player a lot and so they appeared to be a priority or
    2) the player was rated higher than who we actually signed in that position group.

I didn't include players that have not signed yet, like Chris Murray. There are several players that would influence this list when they sign. I'll update in Feb. So, I ended up analyzing what seem to be the top 41 offers (with 19 commits) of players who have all signed as of Thursday.

The data is listed below. Here are the results of the direct recruiting battles with programs similar to ours:

DIRECT RECRUITING BATTLES:

WINS
    UW 12 - Oregon 4
    UW 9 - UCLA 2
    UW 4 - Nebraska 0
    UW 4 - Tennesse 0
    UW 3 - Alabama 2
    UW 3 - Notre Dame 1
    UW 3 - Michigan 1
    UW 3 - TCU 0
    UW 2 - Wisconsin 0
    UW 1 - LSU 0

LOSSES
    USC 5 - UW 4
    FSU 1 - UW 0
    Texas 2 - UW 1 - All TX recruits
    tOSU 1 - UW 0
    Tex A&M 1 - UW 0

TIE
    UW 1 - Oklahoma 1

Takeaways:

1. We crushed Oregon and UCLA. We made them look like a bag of wet diapers.
    2. Nebraska, Tennessee, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Michigan, Oklahoma, TCU, and Alabama all came west and tried to steal from our hunting grounds and we stood tall. We even snuck into Texas and stole Curne ourselves.
    3. USC slightly beat us head to head after a really solid year on their part and winning the Pac12 title. However, they will sign more guys that we are chasing soon.
    4. Sadly, Utah, Cal, ASU, UA, Colorado, and Wazzu aren't close enough to even catch our dust. I'm a bit worried about the strength of the Pac12 over the next few years. Hopefully Chip can get UCLA competitive again and Stanford doesn't fall off too much...
    5. We didn't go head to head on anyone with Stanford, except Wilson, but we already had 3 WR's in the bag, so it wasn't really a competition.

All this goes to show that we killed it in 2019.

SE - does this data look correct to you in regards to the players we prioritized?

DATA

QB
    1. Sirmon - beat LSU, Michigan, Alabama, Nebraska
    2. Yankoff - beat Oregon, TCU, Nebraska, Tennessee
    - No one else was a serious candidate

RB
    3. Newton - didn't have a better offer
    4. Pledger - lost to OU
    5. Bolden - lost to Alabama

WR
    6. Lowe - beat Oregon
    7. Spiker - beat USC, Michigan, Oregon, UCLA
    8. Osborne - beat Oregon, Miami, Michigan, Tennessee, UCLA
    - We signed all 3 so early that it didn't seem like we lost out on a major target

TE
    9. Culp - beat Oregon
    - No other high priority targets

OT
    10. Mele - beat Oregon, Oklahoma, UCLA
    11. Ale - beat Oregon, UCLA
    12. Angilau - lost to Texas
    12. Jaramillo - lost to Oregon
    14. Craig - lost to Cal

OG
    15. Curne - beat TCU, OK St, UCLA
    16. Jones - lost to Oregon

C
    17 Dedich - lost to USC

WDE
    18 Liu - n/a
    19. Latu - lost to Alabama
    20. Malik-McLain - lost to USC

SDE
    21. Bynum - beat Oregon, Nebraska, UCLA, USC
    22. Wright - lost to Tex A/M

DT
    23. Taimani - beat Oregon, Alabama, Tennessee, Notre Dame, UCLA, Wisconsin
    24. Togiai - lost to tOSU
    25. Coburn - lost to Texas
    26. Avery - lost to Illinois?!

ILB
    27. Kaho - beat Alabama, Notre Dame, Stanford, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, UCLA, USC
    28. Gaoteote - lost to USC
    29. Lamb - lost to Notre Dame

OLB
    30. Mauga - lost to USC
    31. Sirmon - beat Wisconsin
    32. ZTF - no other better offers

CB
    33. Gordon - beat Stanford, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Oregon, TCU, UCLA, USC
    34. Hampton - beat Oregon
    35. Williams - lost to USC
    36. Sims - lost to Michigan
    37. McKinley - lost to Oregon

Safety
    38. Woodbey - lost to FSU
    39. Holland - lost to Oregon
    40. Blaylock - lost to UCLA

ATH
    41. Addison - lost to UCLA"

• Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    Just to be clear, I didn’t write this. I’m just reporting on a rumor I heard.

You’re always going to have more wins against every school than losses if you count it this way, because a loss is to one school, but you can say a win is over three or four schools.

Also there are some losses that got missed here... but whatever. Overall kind of interesting.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

You’re always going to have more wins against every school than losses if you count it this way, because a loss is to one school, but you can say a win is over three or four schools.

Also there are some losses that got missed here... but whatever. Overall kind of interesting.

Oh give sundodger98 his dues
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

Oh give sundodger98 his dues
    I was drunk when I copied it, but yeah - he should probably get an invite (if he has a sense of humor). He's going to flail away for a year or so making these posts and then get buried under a sea of 'AUSTIN OSBORNE REMINDS ME SO MUCH OF TODD JUERGENS!!'