Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Oregon Gets Cristoballed

Comments

• Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Swaye said:

ntxduck said:

LIPO.

This hire is only a failure if Mullens doesn't have the stones to pull the trigger on firing Cristobal in 2 years if this isn't panning out (which is very possible since Mullens is a huge pussy). In 2 years, there will be way better outside options available (the next Matt Campbell or maybe even actual Matt Campbell once he realizes that Iowa State has a very finite ceiling).

Not thrilled, but there's really no options out there. I prefer giving Cristobal 2 years and seeing what he can do, while pulling in good classes, over giving Leach/Sumlin/Wilcox 4 years and then starting from ground zero in 2022. But once again, this will all come down to how short of a leash Mullens is going to give him and the program.

LIPO.

This is a reasonable conclusion. Look, Cristoballz could be great. Who knows. Not an inspiring hire, and I think if you look at percentages of failed previous HC's brought up from the assistant ranks the chances are against Oregon, but he could turn out to be great. Small chance, but a chance. Key is Mullens shitcanning this guy quick if results are less than optimal and pulling a big name then. I know I'd be pissed if I were a Duck, but most of eSuck is rejoicing. Then again, most of eSuck are dumb fucking donkeys.
    People need to GTFOver hiring a "great" coach.

Seriously, how often does that happen? Ever? What is a great coach? Michigan jerks off in their sleep over a guy that never sniffed an NC and ran off the guy who won their only modern one for winning nine games and crushing Tebow in their bowl his Heisman year.

There are three great coaches in college football and four dance spots. I don't give a fuck who anyone hires, your shot at making it outside of those three programs are slim. Then you have to account for ND who makes their own schedule, Oklahoma who plays no one, and ESPN trying to push two SEC teams every year for ratings.

I hate to break it to UW fans, but you already got the best you're ever going to get out of Petersen. He doesn't recruit well enough and Lake will be gone soon.

The 117 team rat race to grab that fourth spot is making the sport a shit show.
    Somebody's a little butthurt today.

Sad.
    I'm not butthurt at all. If Mullens can keep Leavitt literally nothing has changed in the program except no one will be axing questions anymore while being Pacific while dricking milk.

It's just fucking ridiculous to see all these programs trying to hire the next Nick, Urbs, or Dabo because there is zero margin for error anymore.

Kevin Sumlin getting fired is a prime example. aTm starts out in 3rd place in their region every year in everything behind OU and Texas. Then, they get to go play Bama, LSU, and Auburn every year with the potential to play either Florida or Georgia as well. The guy goes 51-26 at a place Bear Bryant couldn't sniff a championship at but that's not good enough. It's fucking delusional. It's only going to get worse too. You're going to have guys like Willie Taggart who have literally done nothing in their careers getting $5+M a year and big time jobs only because they haven't fully proven they aren't a Nick, Urbs, or Dabo yet.
    And you guys could have had that guy.

lulz.
    He definitely isn't a bad coach. His CONTRACT makes it so he won't take a job until next year. Would you rather have your entire buyout at once or spread out over years?

This new early signing period will make it so coaches are fired on the tarmac mid-season and coaches with a buy out won't take jobs until the following year.
  • Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,907
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Considering you dipshits think every move by Oregon is somehow tied into Washington’s nearly two decades of failure, I’d like to mention that you all thought USC players getting Todd Helton hired was a dipshit program killer as well.

Meanwhile, Washington is in their wake with “your guy”

I’ll take your down votes off the air.

PUMP MY GAS BITCH!
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2017
    dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Swaye said:

ntxduck said:

LIPO.

This hire is only a failure if Mullens doesn't have the stones to pull the trigger on firing Cristobal in 2 years if this isn't panning out (which is very possible since Mullens is a huge pussy). In 2 years, there will be way better outside options available (the next Matt Campbell or maybe even actual Matt Campbell once he realizes that Iowa State has a very finite ceiling).

Not thrilled, but there's really no options out there. I prefer giving Cristobal 2 years and seeing what he can do, while pulling in good classes, over giving Leach/Sumlin/Wilcox 4 years and then starting from ground zero in 2022. But once again, this will all come down to how short of a leash Mullens is going to give him and the program.

LIPO.

This is a reasonable conclusion. Look, Cristoballz could be great. Who knows. Not an inspiring hire, and I think if you look at percentages of failed previous HC's brought up from the assistant ranks the chances are against Oregon, but he could turn out to be great. Small chance, but a chance. Key is Mullens shitcanning this guy quick if results are less than optimal and pulling a big name then. I know I'd be pissed if I were a Duck, but most of eSuck is rejoicing. Then again, most of eSuck are dumb fucking donkeys.

Seriously, how often does that happen? Ever? What is a great coach? Michigan jerks off in their sleep over a guy that never sniffed an NC and ran off the guy who won their only modern one for winning nine games and crushing Tebow in their bowl his Heisman year.

There are three great coaches in college football and four dance spots. I don't give a fuck who anyone hires, your shot at making it outside of those three programs are slim. Then you have to account for ND who makes their own schedule, Oklahoma who plays no one, and ESPN trying to push two SEC teams every year for ratings.

I hate to break it to UW fans, but you already got the best you're ever going to get out of Petersen. He doesn't recruit well enough and Lake will be gone soon.

Sad.
    I'm not butthurt at all. If Mullens can keep Leavitt literally nothing has changed in the program except no one will be axing questions anymore while being Pacific while dricking milk.

It's just fucking ridiculous to see all these programs trying to hire the next Nick, Urbs, or Dabo because there is zero margin for error anymore.

Kevin Sumlin getting fired is a prime example. aTm starts out in 3rd place in their region every year in everything behind OU and Texas. Then, they get to go play Bama, LSU, and Auburn every year with the potential to play either Florida or Georgia as well. The guy goes 51-26 at a place Bear Bryant couldn't sniff a championship at but that's not good enough. It's fucking delusional. It's only going to get worse too. You're going to have guys like Willie Taggart who have literally done nothing in their careers getting $5+M a year and big time jobs only because they haven't fully proven they aren't a Nick, Urbs, or Dabo yet.

lulz.
    Oregon was more concerned about keeping the current recruiting class together than the long term. Also, coaching hires is like a pendulum. When you hire a hard ass and wears out his welcome, schools hire a player's coach, then when the team gets too out of control, they higher another hard ass. In this case it was about loyalty. Mullens wanted somebody he knew would stick around if successful.

Sumlin wasn't a lock to stay here long term. There was a chance he would also go south if given another opportunity. Mullens didn't want to get burned again, so he went safe. We'll see if it works out...
  • EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,439
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

ntxduck said:

LIPO.

LIPO.

RE: Mario Cristobal/Oregon> Just how bleak were things at FIU when he took over? There was no film library. No academic support system. He inherited a woeful APR & the program was going on academic probation, so they couldn’t have full recruiting classes: https://t.co/ISAvVzoLPh

— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) December 8, 2017

A few thoughts on Mario Cristobal. 1. Took over, BY FAR, the worst FBS situation I've ever seen (FIU).. led them to a bowl win 4 yrs later; 2. Not sure there is a better recruiter in the country anywhere. 3. His teams will be very physical. MORE: https://t.co/ISAvVzoLPh

This at least explains his poor record at FIU. They were also 1-23 the previous 24 games before he was hired. Definitely underwhelming, but Wilcox, Leach, Sumlin, etc. would have caused the existing class to crumble, and they aren't terrific coaches anyhow. Cristobal can at least hold most of the class together. If he performs like Slingblade, then he gone. The good news is, Oregon can afford to pay him less than Sumlin, Leach, Wilcox, etc. which they can use to pay more to keep and hire top notch assistants.

If Oregon is trying to save money on a head coach so they can pay assistants more, they’re losers and they’re fucked. They have Phil Knight money. Get a good coach and pay assistants. Abundance.
  • IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    ntxduck said:

salemcoog said:

dongman said:

No offense to Grinch, but a lot of his success I believe has come from recruiting paying off. Leach started immediately filling out offensive spots, but it took a year or two for any quality defensive guys to want to come to WSU. He outcoached bad coaches, but not a lot of good coaches.

Leach's offense has a ceiling. It's not built to beat fast, physical defenses and therefore win a Championship.

WSU's offense is the worst it has been this Season in 4 years. It was Grinch's defense that won half of the games this year. If WSU had last years Defense or gawd forbid the 2014 or 2015 defense this Season, they win 4 games max this Season.

Grinch's system of substituting size for speed won't win a Championship. However it does maximize the talent that they are able to get to come to Pullman.
    That's the question though. Is Grinch's system actually his system, or is it what he did to adjust to the type of talent that they have in Pullman?
    Every Pac-12 team worth its salt is running the same 3-4 defense that shifts to a 2-2-2-5 nickel package because that's how you slow down spread offenses. Utah may be the only team running a traditional 4-3 next year.

I doubt Crystalball reinvents the wheel on defense if Leavitt goes, especially with Salve'a, Clark and Heyward reportedly staying.
  • IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    AZDuck said:

@ntxduck is also right.

I feel a little better than he does, I've kicked the tires on Krystalball and while there's no poont in arguing with you assholes, he's not as bad as dickheads here think and not as good as the lemmings on eQuook think either, at least in terms of resume and qualifications.

It's a LIPO situation. He gets 3 years. Win or GTFO

I think it's essentially the same LIPO that the Helfrich promotion was. We? won't know how FS it is until Justin Herbert leaves campus.

ntxduck said:

LIPO.

LIPO.

“There’s a very real chance we suck for two years and will have to fire Cristobal, but LIPO.”

There isn’t nothing to play out. You aren’t winning championships under Cristobal. I get that 8 and 9 win seasons are fine for Quooks, but you recently finished a run where you made two natties and mostly dominated the PAC 10/12. The program is crashing and burning before your eyes.
    Right, you aren't winning championships under Peterman either and Stanford isn't winning one under Shaw and Wazzu isn't winning one under Leach and Cal isn't winning one under Wilcox and OSU isn't winning one under Smith.

If Mario can win 8 or 9 games consistently I hope he sticks around for 15 years like Bellotti did. Mike would have made the playoffs twice in his tenure.

What happened under Chip and initially with Sling was unsustainable like Nebraska in the 90's. Those 'member berries they just bought aren't going to change that.

The Pac-12 North isn't a realistic place to win an NC anymore now that you truly have to win it on the field.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    salemcoog said:

ntxduck said:

LIPO.

LIPO.

The AD and boosters gave in to a player vote and the prospect of keeping some of an alleged great recruiting class. This is the Bill Doba hire through and through. There were and are plenty of options out there that have had greater success as a head coach. This was as lazy hire as you could imagine at what used to think of themselves as a Football school.
    Who's available that's a better HC? I actually don't think there's a better realistic option out there right now that's better than Cristobal.

AZDuck said:

@ntxduck is also right.

I feel a little better than he does, I've kicked the tires on Krystalball and while there's no poont in arguing with you assholes, he's not as bad as dickheads here think and not as good as the lemmings on eQuook think either, at least in terms of resume and qualifications.

It's a LIPO situation. He gets 3 years. Win or GTFO

I think it's essentially the same LIPO that the Helfrich promotion was. We? won't know how FS it is until Justin Herbert leaves campus.
    Pretty much. Herbert is a future first round draft pick. We? are winning 9-10 games next year as long as he's healthy. Once he's gone, we'll see how good or how mediocre Cristobal really is.
  • Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,907
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Swaye said:

ntxduck said:

LIPO.

LIPO.

Sad.

Very true man. Makes me realize how lucky my Dwags are having one of the best coaches in college ball.
    edited December 2017

Swaye said:

ntxduck said:

LIPO.

LIPO.

RE: Mario Cristobal/Oregon> Just how bleak were things at FIU when he took over? There was no film library. No academic support system. He inherited a woeful APR & the program was going on academic probation, so they couldn’t have full recruiting classes: https://t.co/ISAvVzoLPh

A few thoughts on Mario Cristobal. 1. Took over, BY FAR, the worst FBS situation I've ever seen (FIU).. led them to a bowl win 4 yrs later; 2. Not sure there is a better recruiter in the country anywhere. 3. His teams will be very physical. MORE: https://t.co/ISAvVzoLPh

This at least explains his poor record at FIU. They were also 1-23 the previous 24 games before he was hired. Definitely underwhelming, but Wilcox, Leach, Sumlin, etc. would have caused the existing class to crumble, and they aren't terrific coaches anyhow. Cristobal can at least hold most of the class together. If he performs like Slingblade, then he gone. The good news is, Oregon can afford to pay him less than Sumlin, Leach, Wilcox, etc. which they can use to pay more to keep and hire top notch assistants.

If Oregon is trying to save money on a head coach so they can pay assistants more, they’re losers and they’re fucked. They have Phil Knight money. Get a good coach and pay assistants. Abundance.

I'm not saying their intent was to save money, it's a just an opportunity created by the situation.

Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Swaye said:

ntxduck said:

LIPO.

LIPO.

Sad.

Very true man. Makes me realize how lucky my Dwags are having one of the best coaches in college ball.
    Peterman is a damn good coach, but you guys will turn on him soon. That team last year is the most talent he will ever have and he would have lost to Bama 100 times out of 100.

In 10 years if all he has to show are a couple conference titles and one playoff raping he will be Mike Bellotti. Shaw ain't leaving and Helton doesn't suck so that looks to be a very realistic future.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited December 2017
    ntxduck said:

LIPO.

LIPO.

your conclusions are sound but that doesn't make the situation any less depressing

welp boys we hired a coach with an obvious ceiling to salvage a GOOD recruiting class, hope our AD has the stones to fire him in a few years when there are more tier 1-2-3 candidates out there.
  • ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Swaye said:

ntxduck said:

LIPO.

LIPO.

Sad.

Truly elite coaches lose to Todd Graham and David Shaw in their 4th year
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Swaye said:

ntxduck said:

LIPO.

LIPO.

Sad.

lulz.
    Oregon was more concerned about keeping the current recruiting class together than the long term. Also, coaching hires is like a pendulum. When you hire a hard ass and wears out his welcome, schools hire a player's coach, then when the team gets too out of control, they higher another hard ass. In this case it was about loyalty. Mullens wanted somebody he knew would stick around if successful.

Sumlin wasn't a lock to stay here long term. There was a chance he would also go south if given another opportunity. Mullens didn't want to get burned again, so he went safe. We'll see if it works out...
    When the fuck has going safe ever worked out? Go big or go home is the only motto that ever fucking worked.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

dnc said:

Mosster47 said:

Swaye said:

ntxduck said:

LIPO.

LIPO.

Sad.

lulz.

When the fuck has going safe ever worked out? Go big or go home is the only motto that ever fucking worked.
    There was this one time, Oregon hired an OC with 2 years' experience at D1, and before that he was a lifer at some podunk school in New England.

Not saying Crystal Gayle is Chip Kelly, don't twist