Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Did Pete con Wittingham?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,952
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
With 30 secs left and the run on 1st down? Sure looked like we were content to go to OT and then Wittingham takes the bait. Was this a feint move?

Comments

• Options
    topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    That would require strategery ... something we’re not use to seeing from a Husky coach
  • Options
    EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Just rewatched... Utah only had 2 timeouts left and Whittingham called one after a first down run. They couldn't have gotten the ball back unless we somehow stopped the clock ourselves. Holy fuckall what was Whittingham doing?

He was probably hoping that Jake would fuck up catastrophically. Not a terrible strategy.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

With 30 secs left and the run on 1st down? Sure looked like we were content to go to OT and then Wittingham takes the bait. Was this a feint move?

maybe Pete told Smith "don't do anything stupid" and Smith thought that meant to call a running play.
    The obscenity police pulls a LOL out of his ass every once in awhile. This was one.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

Just rewatched... Utah only had 2 timeouts left and Whittingham called one after a first down run. They couldn't have gotten the ball back unless we somehow stopped the clock ourselves. Holy fuckall what was Whittingham doing?

I figured he thought he had 3 timeouts remaining.
  • Options
    DoubleJDawgDoubleJDawg Member Posts: 598

He was probably hoping that Jake would fuck up catastrophically. Not a terrible strategy.
    That definitely had to be a big part of it -- who wouldn't want to give Jake more plays to make stupid audibles, bad decisions, and/or get helicoptered on hopeless runs. I don't think it was a bad decision at all.
  • Options

maybe Pete told Smith "don't do anything stupid" and Smith thought that meant to call a running play.
    My first thought when the play ran was that Browning audibled into it -- everyone was so smug and proud of him when he did that on the 4th and 10 play against Oregon St
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,906
    Founders Club

If this happened, Smith would've thrown because he obviously thinks running the ball is stupid.
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited November 2017

Trick plays come in many forms yella. Too bad Stanford won. Would have been an epic chess move. Damn it ASU stings. Pup called that loss exactly as it happened over there on the dawgman, so wasnt surprising.

I assume you know how that went down. For the few here who dont pay Kim and didnt see it, it didnt go very well.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,952
    Swaye's Wigwam

Trick plays come in many forms yella. Too bad Stanford won. Would have been an epic chess move. Damn it ASU stings. Pup called that loss exactly as it happened over there on the dawgman, so wasnt surprising.

I assume you know how that went down. For the few here who dont pay Kim and didnt see it, it didnt go very well.
    I do not know what went down over there. Haven't been over to Dawgman - other than looking occasionally at the staff predictions - since they shuttered the Free Beer board. Never paid Kim anything other than a few months at a time in the early 2000's. Not my scene really.
  • Options
    ItsRainingTacosItsRainingTacos Member Posts: 6
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper Photogenic

That definitely had to be a big part of it -- who wouldn't want to give Jake more plays to make stupid audibles, bad decisions, and/or get helicoptered on hopeless runs. I don't think it was a bad decision at all.
    I'd bet $50 you'd absolutely crush Petersen if the roles were reversed.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Nope @ItsRainingTacos , you're wrong -- it would have made even more sense for Peterman to call that TO if the situation was reversed since if you get them to go three and out there, you (maybe) get a chance to have Pettis return a punt. Would gladly have taken a (slim) chance that Huntley could put up 60-70 yards in the air during that time, or at the very least make them run two more plays of any kind before time runs out.

Solid first post, though, I guess, and downvote. Now LEAVE!
  • Options
    ItsRainingTacosItsRainingTacos Member Posts: 6
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper Photogenic

Nope @ItsRainingTacos , you're wrong -- it would have made even more sense for Peterman to call that TO if the situation was reversed since if you get them to go three and out there, you (maybe) get a chance to have Pettis return a punt. Would gladly have taken a (slim) chance that Huntley could put up 60-70 yards in the air during that time, or at the very least make them run two more plays of any kind before time runs out.

Solid first post, though, I guess, and downvote. Now LEAVE!

If we were in Utah's situation is reversing the roles. And if Petersen had done that, I have zero doubt this board would do its usual piling on. Utah fans are all over Whittingham for the call - yet you find a way to praise it and pile on Jake at the same time. That's next level cynicism.

• Options
    GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Playing to win is only allowed on this bored if you win.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,601

Oh you called a loss? Some higher discussion board shit.