Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Myles Bryant Is the hero of our team?

BreadBread Member Posts: 3,978
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
ESPN is my source , deal with it.

this response is pretty good.

There is always going to be weaknesses in a team. The fact that Washington has the a top 5 passing defense is a pretty solid indication that what is the weakest point in the defense isn't actually all that weak. Add in you don't get 2nd in most tackles by just tackling receivers. The fact that he has that high of tackles is an indication that either the DL and LBs are doing a poor job of containing the opposing teams rushers and relying on the secondary to finally stop the runner OR he is doing a good job of getting off of his receiver and assisting in stopping the run.

The fact that Washington's total defense is 2nd. The fact that their rushing defense is 2nd. Is a pretty good indication that it is the latter rather than the former. The fact that he is 4th on the team with 3 tackles for a loss, is a pretty good indication that he is doing a good job of assisting with the run and getting off of his receiver and having a good point of contact close to the line of scrimmage or even behind it.

Whether he is the point on the defense being targeted or not is rather irrelevant. The ball has to go in some direction. What is relevant is that Myles Bryant makes being targeted irrelevant. For being undersized he clearly understands how to defend against larger receivers. He clearly understands how to get off of his receiver and assist with stopping the rushes (which means beating the block the receiver should be attempting to put on him). And he has as good of passing defense stats as anyone else on the team.

Let's face it Washington has the lowest yards/completion in the country at 8. They are BARELY 2nd in the country with yards/attempt at 5.19 (0.02 yards behind Penn State). Tied with PSU in fewest passing touch downs allowed (3). The fact that Bryant is being targeted and Washington is still doing that well, is an indication that Bryant is carrying his weight at that position. So what if 75% of the plays are to him, he still stops them. So what if he gets dragged on tackles, if his point of contact is earlier than other DB's allowing the rest of the team to assist before those yards are eaten up, then he is still out performing the other DB's even if he goes for a little ride.

My point is long, but the stats say Bryant is more than pulling his weight, in particular since he has to pull his weigh more often than any other player on the team. The fact that there is so much pressure on Bryant and he refuses to give is arguably the entire reason why Washington's defense is so successful.

You can't even point to Bryant or the defense in the loss Washington has. It was a rushing touchdown and he wasn't involved in the long pass play that set it up.

And that was the point of the article, unsung heroes on a team. Which he clearly is.

Comments

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    if you think this is bad I listened to the latest realdoog radio (yes please flag me for this shit) and they all said BBK was our defensive MVP
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    dhdawg said:

if you think this is bad I listened to the latest realdoog radio (yes please flag me for this shit) and they all said BBK was our defensive MVP

Yep, he is a true MVP. He and Jake should declare for the draft
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    Uh-huh.

I have that stupid ESPN app to check scores and highlights and shit on my phone, and I haven't bothered to turn of those stupid push notifications.

Anyway, I got a notification for this "article" a couple of days ago. I don't even know who the cum-guzzling mold spore who wrote the blurb for UW is, but my eyes rolled out of my skull when I saw they picked Bryant.

They even singled out the fact that he's the second leading tackler on the team as a measure of his impact. No mention of the fact that he's simply being targeted by teams because of his cretinism.

The fact that Benny Burger King is our leading tackler (I'm assuming without actually checking) should tell you how pointless of a stat total tackles is.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,895
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Bread said:

ESPN is my source , deal with it.

this response is pretty good.

There is always going to be weaknesses in a team. The fact that Washington has the a top 5 passing defense is a pretty solid indication that what is the weakest point in the defense isn't actually all that weak. Add in you don't get 2nd in most tackles by just tackling receivers. The fact that he has that high of tackles is an indication that either the DL and LBs are doing a poor job of containing the opposing teams rushers and relying on the secondary to finally stop the runner OR he is doing a good job of getting off of his receiver and assisting in stopping the run.

The fact that Washington's total defense is 2nd. The fact that their rushing defense is 2nd. Is a pretty good indication that it is the latter rather than the former. The fact that he is 4th on the team with 3 tackles for a loss, is a pretty good indication that he is doing a good job of assisting with the run and getting off of his receiver and having a good point of contact close to the line of scrimmage or even behind it.

Whether he is the point on the defense being targeted or not is rather irrelevant. The ball has to go in some direction. What is relevant is that Myles Bryant makes being targeted irrelevant. For being undersized he clearly understands how to defend against larger receivers. He clearly understands how to get off of his receiver and assist with stopping the rushes (which means beating the block the receiver should be attempting to put on him). And he has as good of passing defense stats as anyone else on the team.

Let's face it Washington has the lowest yards/completion in the country at 8. They are BARELY 2nd in the country with yards/attempt at 5.19 (0.02 yards behind Penn State). Tied with PSU in fewest passing touch downs allowed (3). The fact that Bryant is being targeted and Washington is still doing that well, is an indication that Bryant is carrying his weight at that position. So what if 75% of the plays are to him, he still stops them. So what if he gets dragged on tackles, if his point of contact is earlier than other DB's allowing the rest of the team to assist before those yards are eaten up, then he is still out performing the other DB's even if he goes for a little ride.

My point is long, but the stats say Bryant is more than pulling his weight, in particular since he has to pull his weigh more often than any other player on the team. The fact that there is so much pressure on Bryant and he refuses to give is arguably the entire reason why Washington's defense is so successful.

You can't even point to Bryant or the defense in the loss Washington has. It was a rushing touchdown and he wasn't involved in the long pass play that set it up.

And that was the point of the article, unsung heroes on a team. Which he clearly is.

Why does ESPN have an Engrish as a second language writer?
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,978

They even singled out the fact that he's the second leading tackler on the team as a measure of his impact. No mention of the fact that he's simply being targeted by teams because of his cretinism.

The fact that Benny Burger King is our leading tackler (I'm assuming without actually checking) should tell you how pointless of a stat total tackles is.

I feel like BBK and Bryant also are so high because they are getting way more snaps then everyone else.

BBK is always in there.

Mules is the only guy I ever see in the slot.

anyone have snap count stats?
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Uh-huh.

I have that stupid ESPN app to check scores and highlights and shit on my phone, and I haven't bothered to turn of those stupid push notifications.

Anyway, I got a notification for this "article" a couple of days ago. I don't even know who the cum-guzzling mold spore who wrote the blurb for UW is, but my eyes rolled out of my skull when I saw they picked Bryant.

Upvoted for cum-guzzling mold spore.

Will steal and use.