Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Last night reminded me of 2003

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,573 Founders Club
We lost to Cal 54-7 and were like WTF... Then came back to play a brilliant game against the Cougs, and wondering where that effort had been all year.

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club
    Last night reminded me why we will suck for the forseeable future: Any glimmer of hope results in exultation by our beaten women and Sounder fan base elements, ensuring that people who care about results in totality are drowned out by the lights of KICK ASS pressers and wins that don't move you out of the Fight Retardism Bowel.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389

We lost to Cal 54-7 and were like WTF... Then came back to play a brilliant game against the Cougs, and wondering where that effort had been all year.

I watched a replay of that 2003 apple cup recently, and there was a couple things worth noting from that courageous Husky victory.

First, the Husky offensive line struggled mightily the entire game against a very good coog defensive front, the pride of WSU head coach Doba. I still remember sitting in Husky Stadium watching in wonderbloodlust that battle in the trenches and the fight and courage of Husky linemen and backs led by Cody Picket in standing up and sometimes taking a physical beating. I think at the time I recalled a comment made once by Dan Fouts in an ABC broadcast with Keith Jackson from Eugene that "Cody Pickett is one tough cowboy".

Second. on that final drive to the winning TD catch by Corey Williams as time ran out, Cody Pickett completed a 4th down pass over the middle for 8 or 10 yards to get the first and keep the drive alive. The replay showed two big coogs hitting Pickett hard from opposite sides as he tried to set-up in the pocket. Cody bounced off of both like a pinball, took one step forward and fired a perfect pass straight downfield to the Husky receiver. The TV camera swung to focus on a celebrating Gilbertson on the Husky sideline...... and there standing alongside Gilby was his old good buddy, Dan Cozzetto, who I believe was our OL coach in 2003.

Could it be that it takes Dan Cozzetto most of a season before he can light a fire under his OL unit sufficiently for them to stand up and do trench battle with a tough, physical Beav or coog defensive front,..... or that his style of OL coaching is more suited to competing against Pac-12 North division middlings? I doubt the answer is available to anybody including Cozzetto and his boss.