Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Zion Tupuola-Fetui, 3* 2018 BUCK, Pearl City, HI (COMMITTED)

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Tequilla said:

The only thing I worry about is it looks like he plays against the same competition Shane Brostek played against.

The main reason he's a solid prospect is his height/weight/speed attributes. I'm not sure in this instance the level of competition really matters too much because of that. He's raw regardless.
    Level of competition makes basically no difference, ever.
    Well I wouldn't go quite that far, but I agree with the general principle.
    Outside of maybe 5-10 high school leagues in the country, the vast majority of high-end D1 caliber talent will run circles around the balance of the league that they play in.

For example, you can't look at the film for any player in the state of Washington and try to measure how good they are based on the competition they play against. That's insanely FS ... reminds me of kids that played with my brothers in high school that tried to argue that they were better players because they had more RBIs or whatever.

The reality is that you know a high end D1 player when you see it ... just like you know a high end professional player when you see it when they are playing in college.

You aren't going to 1-up Dennis ... stop trying.
    I wasn't tried to one-up anyone. He had said it makes no difference at all, "ever". You yourself said there are a few select leagues where the level of competition is raised and you can base some of their play of their opponents. There are some players who are overlooked BECAUSE of lack of competition, who end up going to small schools and still impress professional scouts, so it does matter to a small extent.

I probably didn't explain fully the point I was trying to make ...

HS stats are for the most part meaningless because it's difficult to ascertain the quality of competition. Now, for some leagues where the competition is good, there's something to be said for being able to understand how abilities translate ... but it's not a major factor. What's more important is that in those leagues you can see how the player reacts to playing against high end competition and it probably illustrates what they need to work on better. What you can't do in HS levels is look at stat totals and try to make anything out of it ... Jake Sirmon to me is a great example ...

@DerekJohnson has a well stated opinion that Sirmon doesn't impress him in large part because he had a 6 INT game as a sophomore against Woodinville (a program he's close to) and in addition to that didn't like his body language and intangibles at that point. At the HS level though, there's so much that goes into it though ... what kind of protection was he getting from his OL (many of whom are his size or smaller)? What was the play of the WRs - were they rounding their routes allowing to be undercut? Were the WRs not getting separation? How much was Sirmon forcing the ball relying on his arm to throw guys open that aren't there?

There are so many things that go into the process of evaluating a recruit ... the two things that I look at the most are do you have the obvious physical skills necessary to play at the next level and what's the player's IQ level to understand and adjust to the game ... I can't stand the guys that basically act like "I'm the best in HS and that will translate and I'll be the best going forward" ... those guys can go to USC.

As for guys that are under the radar and get overlooked, that happens no question. And while I'm not saying that we should ignore those players (that's what having a good network is for) ... we shouldn't be looking at those players as anything other than the last player or two in our class. Those are the kinds of kids that the Oregon State's of the world need to be successful.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

Zion is retweeting woofs and other UW related tweets. I think he's ours. Really like this kid.

His first is really explosive. Kawasaki can mold him into a monster
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,098
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    So he might actually be a BUCK
  • NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

They're recruiting him as buck. Doesn't mean he'll end up playing buck.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

He's going to be a buck IMO
  • NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

He's not playing DE
    HTH
  • NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

He's not playing DE
    HTH
    No one is. I don't know where Zion will play. But they recruited Onwuzurike as a buck. Just sayin'.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    edited July 2017
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

The only thing I worry about is it looks like he plays against the same competition Shane Brostek played against.

The main reason he's a solid prospect is his height/weight/speed attributes. I'm not sure in this instance the level of competition really matters too much because of that. He's raw regardless.
    Level of competition makes basically no difference, ever.
    Well I wouldn't go quite that far, but I agree with the general principle.
    Outside of maybe 5-10 high school leagues in the country, the vast majority of high-end D1 caliber talent will run circles around the balance of the league that they play in.

For example, you can't look at the film for any player in the state of Washington and try to measure how good they are based on the competition they play against. That's insanely FS ... reminds me of kids that played with my brothers in high school that tried to argue that they were better players because they had more RBIs or whatever.

The reality is that you know a high end D1 player when you see it ... just like you know a high end professional player when you see it when they are playing in college.

You aren't going to 1-up Dennis ... stop trying.
    I wasn't tried to one-up anyone. He had said it makes no difference at all, "ever". You yourself said there are a few select leagues where the level of competition is raised and you can base some of their play of their opponents. There are some players who are overlooked BECAUSE of lack of competition, who end up going to small schools and still impress professional scouts, so it does matter to a small extent.

I probably didn't explain fully the point I was trying to make ...

HS stats are for the most part meaningless because it's difficult to ascertain the quality of competition. Now, for some leagues where the competition is good, there's something to be said for being able to understand how abilities translate ... but it's not a major factor. What's more important is that in those leagues you can see how the player reacts to playing against high end competition and it probably illustrates what they need to work on better. What you can't do in HS levels is look at stat totals and try to make anything out of it ... Jake Sirmon to me is a great example ...

@DerekJohnson has a well stated opinion that Sirmon doesn't impress him in large part because he had a 6 INT game as a sophomore against Woodinville (a program he's close to) and in addition to that didn't like his body language and intangibles at that point. At the HS level though, there's so much that goes into it though ... what kind of protection was he getting from his OL (many of whom are his size or smaller)? What was the play of the WRs - were they rounding their routes allowing to be undercut? Were the WRs not getting separation? How much was Sirmon forcing the ball relying on his arm to throw guys open that aren't there?

There are so many things that go into the process of evaluating a recruit ... the two things that I look at the most are do you have the obvious physical skills necessary to play at the next level and what's the player's IQ level to understand and adjust to the game ... I can't stand the guys that basically act like "I'm the best in HS and that will translate and I'll be the best going forward" ... those guys can go to USC.

As for guys that are under the radar and get overlooked, that happens no question. And while I'm not saying that we should ignore those players (that's what having a good network is for) ... we shouldn't be looking at those players as anything other than the last player or two in our class. Those are the kinds of kids that the Oregon State's of the world need to be successful.
    Disagree
  • pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    This kid needs to fucking commit already
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Gonna assume that based on Ruth's blurry crystal ball, our recent offer of martin, and the increased recruitment of wren that this kid has missed his chance