Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Spiker ran a 4.83 at the Opening in LA while Newton ran a 4.72 so I'm not surprised. Neither of them really rely on speed yet are both pretty decent. Spiker has more impressive highlight tape though.

LEAVE
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Spiker ran a 4.83 at the Opening in LA while Newton ran a 4.72 so I'm not surprised. Neither of them really rely on speed yet are both pretty decent. Spiker has more impressive highlight tape though.

Given that we took McGrew and Ahmed in the last 2 classes, the coaches probably want a "bigger" between the tackles back rather than another speedy guy for balance. Dick Newt has average speed and decent vision, and given the lack of RB talent on the west coast this year "average" is fine.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    NEsnake12 said:

Given that we took McGrew and Ahmed in the last 2 classes, the coaches probably want a "bigger" between the tackles back rather than another speedy guy for balance. Dick Newt has average speed and decent vision, and given the lack of RB talent on the west coast this year "average" is fine.
    Based on the offense they run in his HS it is hard to tell if he has good vision.
  • Options
    pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I'm sure Chris Petersen targets slow running backs who lack vision. Which is why UW offered Newton.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    pat_hm said:

I'm sure Chris Petersen targets slow running backs who lack vision. Which is why UW offered Newton.

Jamon Dawtson is probably second faster player on the team. He does not have the best vision
  • Options
    priapismpriapism Member Posts: 2,036
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Newt has a DB frame. He's the next Dotson IMO. His film seems average for a RB recruit. Give him to Lake.
    Watch Salvon Ahmed's films and you get excited about the future of UW football - he's always at least 2-3 steps in front of everyone trying to chase him down. We? don't need any RBs in this class.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    NEsnake12 said:

priapism said:

Newt has a DB frame. He's the next Dotson IMO. His film seems average for a RB recruit. Give him to Lake.
    Watch Salvon Ahmed's films and you get excited about the future of UW football - he's always at least 2-3 steps in front of everyone trying to chase him down. We? don't need any RBs in this class.

RB is the most injury prone position and our? depth isn't great. There's a chance Gaskin leaves after this coming season, which would leave us? with only 3 RBs on the roster in McGrew/Pleasant/Ahmed going into 2018. Even if Gaskin stays, 4 isn't enough... 2014 proved that when Shaq Thompson had to move to RB.

So I think there's no way we? don't take a RB in this class.
    Trey Lowe gives us? another guy we can move to RB if needed but as many RBs as they have offered after they got Lowe it's clear they either a) dont prefer Lowe at RB b) want another RB with him or C) abundance.

I like Newtons film alright and this thread suggests he's gotten faster. I think he could be quality RB depth.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    He looks like Wayne Gallman in the way he plays and his size.