Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Jacob Sirmon: "We hate Woodinville"

Comments

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823

dnc said:

Latest Biggins interview with Sirmon:

"Cant say I'm cool with it" (recruiting Yankoff)
    "Didn't know that was the plan originally" (to take two QB's) "found out a little while (before they took Yankoff)."
    "Cant put a percentage on my commitment to UW."
    "My commitment to UW is as strong as it can be."

Overall sounded like he was leaving the door open to split at some point, but we'll see. Hope he sticks.

(Not exact quotes, watched video once, reported as well as I can remember, won't be word for word)

He's leaving and it's doogman hope to pretend he's not. I hope he sticks too, but he won't.
    This is how I see it playing out:

Both stay committed through the camp faggotry and their senior seasons. Yankoff stays steady, puts up big numbers, etc. Sirmon continues to show great potential, but has some hills and valleys through the process. Around November, Sirmon says he's "100% committed to UW" but "wants to take some visits to see what is out there since he committed so early".

Around late December, we will be greeted with the inevitable "First of all, I want to thank the University of Washington..." but by that time we'be all been Yanking off so much that we don't really care.
    Why wait that long? I am already Yanking right now
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited April 2017

dnc said:

"Didn't know that was the plan originally" (to take two QB's) "found out a little while (before they took Yankoff)."

Overall sounded like he was leaving the door open to split at some point, but we'll see. Hope he sticks.

(Not exact quotes, watched video once, reported as well as I can remember, won't be word for word)

He's leaving and it's doogman hope to pretend he's not. I hope he sticks too, but he won't.
    This is how I see it playing out:

Both stay committed through the camp faggotry and their senior seasons. Yankoff stays steady, puts up big numbers, etc. Sirmon continues to show great potential, but has some hills and valleys through the process. Around November, Sirmon says he's "100% committed to UW" but "wants to take some visits to see what is out there since he committed so early".

Around late December, we will be greeted with the inevitable "First of all, I want to thank the University of Washington..." but by that time we'be all been Yanking off so much that we don't really care.
    He's enrolling in January, he's not going to wait until late December to jump ship.

If he's gone, and I expect he is, it will be by October at the latest. It would have to be before the early signing day for one thing.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Sirmon will take some trips while doing the camp shit this Summer.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,527 Founders Club
    dnc said:

This is how you back off from a kid without officially yanking away his scholie offer

It would be how you do it. I really don't think that's what's happening here though. They want both of them. Obviously they're prepared for the possibility that Sirmon bolts, which means they like Yankoff more. But I think they want them both.
    Can't anyone see the play on words here?
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    dnc said:

You are missing a few key parts of the interview with what you posted ...

1) In reference to not knowing that the original plan was to take 2 QBs (which was said), you also left out that when he was informed of the plan to take 2 QBs that the reason behind it was because of depth chart issues ... in other words, we struck out so badly in prior years with our QB recruiting (remember, Sirmon committed in 2015 and we've signed QBs in both the 2016 and 2017 classes) that there was a need to bring in another highly talented QB to compete for the starting job when Browning leaves. At the time Sirmon gave his verbal, I'd say with 99.9% certainty that their plan was to have a 2017 QB come in that was highly talented and NOT Jake Haener ... what Sirmon basically said is that the staff thinks Haener sucks ... which he does.

2) In reference to being cool with 2 QBs and Yankoff ... you left out the fact that he also said that he thinks that he will have a good relationship with Yankoff and recognizes his talent while saying to the effect that competition will make them better.

3) I don't disagree that the recent developments has probably resulted in Sirmon taking it all in and looking at the other teams coming after him and their respective depth charts. Prior to the news of taking 2 QBs in this class, I doubt he was paying too much attention. So when you hear him talk about getting offers from USC or Alabama, what he'll find in looking at what they are doing is that they'll have depth charts even more bloated than UW. I personally don't have a huge problem with him re-evaluating the situation given that the facts have changed ... and probably to a certain degree it wouldn't shock me if our staff understood that there's a reason for him to do so over the next few months.

I agree with you in general that he refused to say that he was 100% committed to UW and not leave the door open. But I also think that he has the kind of swagger you need out of a QB to believe that he will be the best option for the job and will win it anyway. He continuously mentioned that he loves to compete and he's going to get his chance to do so.
    dnc said:

This is how you back off from a kid without officially yanking away his scholie offer

It would be how you do it. I really don't think that's what's happening here though. They want both of them. Obviously they're prepared for the possibility that Sirmon bolts, which means they like Yankoff more. But I think they want them both.
    I honestly don't think you can conclude that the staff likes Yankoff better.

What you can conclude is that the QB depth chart AFTER Browning is a pile of shit and there is a definitive need to build up the talent at the position.

I think what the staff is expecting is that the QB after Browning will be either Sirmon or Yankoff and they will have to earn it on the field and not by default.

dnc said:

There's not a 100% guarantee that he's staying or leaving ... to say otherwise at this point is playing a hand too strong.

The reality is that he'll have to compete for the job at almost every single school that he'll be looking at. For example, he mentioned USC in the interview. In this very class, they have a QB verbal from a guy that is at minimum as talented as he is.
    Tequilla said:

dnc said:

There's not a 100% guarantee that he's staying or leaving ... to say otherwise at this point is playing a hand too strong.

The reality is that he'll have to compete for the job at almost every single school that he'll be looking at. For example, he mentioned USC in the interview. In this very class, they have a QB verbal from a guy that is at minimum as talented as he is.
    It's not 100%. It's my prediction based on following recruiting to varying degrees the past 15 years.

Sirmon being a UW fan as well as his family connections could play a role. I do agree that bringing in two QB's this year makes a lot of sense. I just don't think it will be these two and if one goes, it will be Sirmon.
  • pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    If he's scared to compete against some kid from Idaho then he's not the alpha that we've been led to believe he is.
    edited April 2017

dnc said:

Either way it will be chintresting

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

It's not 100%. It's my prediction based on following recruiting to varying degrees the past 15 years.

Sirmon being a UW fan as well as his family connections could play a role. I do agree that bringing in two QB's this year makes a lot of sense. I just don't think it will be these two and if one goes, it will be Sirmon.
    Your prediction based on what? UW recruiting? National recruiting?

Comparing anything we have generally seen in the last 2-3 years with what UW has done the 10-15 years prior is massively apples/oranges
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Comparing anything we have generally seen in the last 2-3 years with what UW has done the 10-15 years prior is massively apples/oranges
    Seriously. our recruiting for the last 3 years(OL excluded) looks like it has purpose and direction.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

It's my prediction based on most of the time a team takes two QB's they told the QB's that plan before they took their commit. I totally get the change of direction, but I think SIrmon will ultimately use that as his reason to move on.
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    Look at the goddamned tape. Yankoff (?!) is way better. Seems like a better person/teammate too.
    Gladstone said:

Look at the goddamned tape. Yankoff (?!) is way better. Seems like a better person/teammate too.

Dude sirmon has a better toolkit, but i think yankoff is better between the ears
    edited April 2017

Gladstone said:

Dude sirmon has a better toolkit, but i think yankoff is better between the ears
    I don't think Sirmon actually does. Sirmon has elite size and arm strength. Yankoff has good size and plenty of arm strength himself. He's also more accurate, he's more mobile, and right now as a high school QB, he's a lot better.

Petersen has said his two most important traits for his QB's to have are accuracy and decision making.