Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

NC State passes on Archie

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Wolfpack hire Keatts from UNC Wilmington, leaving Miller 2 out there to fill a whole at one of the other big programs. My guess would be Illinois at this point.

Good news for us.

Comments

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I'm actually shocked that NC State didn't land Miller ...

With K and Roy both getting to a point where professionally they are in the last probably 3-5 years on the sidelines, there's an opening for NC State to make a dynamic hire to be ready to capitalize on the transition at both schools as I'm not aware of either school really having a built in no brainer in terms of a successor lined up (North Carolina because I'm having a hard time thinking of someone and Duke because the K coaching tree is vast and trying to figure out which one to choose could be a challenge) ...

Agree that this is good news for us because if I was Indiana I'd be 100x more interested in Miller than Alford despite his legacy at Indiana ... If Alford stays at UCLA that takes one more top end job out of the picture.

I don't see the massive allure of the Illinois job ... there's the obvious draw to being the in-state school for Chicagoland ... but it's been mismanaged the last handful of years as badly as Washington has been. They are likely more comparable jobs at this point than dissimilar.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Tequilla said:

I'm actually shocked that NC State didn't land Miller ...

With K and Roy both getting to a point where professionally they are in the last probably 3-5 years on the sidelines, there's an opening for NC State to make a dynamic hire to be ready to capitalize on the transition at both schools as I'm not aware of either school really having a built in no brainer in terms of a successor lined up (North Carolina because I'm having a hard time thinking of someone and Duke because the K coaching tree is vast and trying to figure out which one to choose could be a challenge) ...

Agree that this is good news for us because if I was Indiana I'd be 100x more interested in Miller than Alford despite his legacy at Indiana ... If Alford stays at UCLA that takes one more top end job out of the picture.

I don't see the massive allure of the Illinois job ... there's the obvious draw to being the in-state school for Chicagoland ... but it's been mismanaged the last handful of years as badly as Washington has been. They are likely more comparable jobs at this point than dissimilar.

Northwestern says fuck off
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Northwestern isn't generally recruiting Chicagoland
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    He wants to come to UW.
  • Options
    SaracenSaracen Member Posts: 269
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Not seeing Archie and UW as a thing. In football and basketball just about every hire either has pre-existing ties to the school, AD, region. Coaches tend to want to be somewhere they know their boss, school, recruiting area, etc. well. The main exception is going to a blue blood program (e.g. Archie's brother) because a) they'll throw crazy cash at you and b) most of them can draw players from anywhere.

Archie is more likely to try and land a blue blood job like Indiana, or wait and take one somewhere he knows well like Ohio State if Matta is ever shown the door.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Saracen said:

Not seeing Archie and UW as a thing. In football and basketball just about every hire either has pre-existing ties to the school, AD, region. Coaches tend to want to be somewhere they know their boss, school, recruiting area, etc. well. The main exception is going to a blue blood program (e.g. Archie's brother) because a) they'll throw crazy cash at you and b) most of them can draw players from anywhere.

Archie is more likely to try and land a blue blood job like Indiana, or wait and take one somewhere he knows well like Ohio State if Matta is ever shown the door.

+1

I don't see him taking a job in the Pac with his brother out here unless UCLA just wanted to throw crazy money at him.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

I don't understand why he wouldn't come to the Pac-12 because his brother is here. Archie and Sean could co-exist in the Pac-12 and both be successful. Do I think he will come? Probably not, but his brother being here is way down the list on reasons why he wouldn't.

That's the rumor thrown out by the so called experts. I agree though. You play once or twice a season. It's not that big of deal.

I guess they would recruit against each other more, but if Archie went to a blue blood, big boy school he would compete for recruits against Sean too.
  • Options
    RavennaDawgRavennaDawg Member Posts: 846
    Name Dropper Photogenic 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Keatts was my top choice so I am not exactly clear as to how this is good for us.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    If Indiana doesn't hire him do you think he won't come because "his brother is in the same conference"?

Lol
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited March 2017
    dnc said:

Saracen said:

+1

I don't see him taking a job in the Pac with his brother out here unless UCLA just wanted to throw crazy money at him.
    Is having to coach against your sibling that big of a deal breaker? The Harbaughs and the Ryans seemed to work through it. (I grant you that's at the professional level, not the collegiate.)
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,796
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

dnc said:

Saracen said:

+1

Is having coach against your sibling that big of a deal breaker? The Harbaughs and the Ryans seemed to work through it. (I grant you that's at the professional level, not the collegiate.)
    Fuck who wouldn't want to beat the shit outta your brother? It's fun competing against them...
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

dnc said:

Saracen said:

+1

Is having to coach against your sibling that big of a deal breaker? The Harbaughs and the Ryans seemed to work through it. (I grant you that's at the professional level, not the collegiate.)
    Regardless of who we* hire, the 'wah he won't compete against his big bro' argument is pretty damn stupid.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

dnc said:

Saracen said:

+1

It's not. The real reason he wouldn't coach here is because he is going to get or knows he can get a better opportunity elsewhere.