Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Zion Tupuola-Fetui, 3* 2018 BUCK, Pearl City, HI (COMMITTED)

Comments

• FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

The only thing I worry about is it looks like he plays against the same competition Shane Brostek played against.

The main reason he's a solid prospect is his height/weight/speed attributes. I'm not sure in this instance the level of competition really matters too much because of that. He's raw regardless.
    Level of competition makes basically no difference, ever.
    Well I wouldn't go quite that far, but I agree with the general principle.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

The only thing I worry about is it looks like he plays against the same competition Shane Brostek played against.

The main reason he's a solid prospect is his height/weight/speed attributes. I'm not sure in this instance the level of competition really matters too much because of that. He's raw regardless.
    What do you mean? You watch the kid, not his comp.

The competition all sucks.

If you can't build in a fucking sliding scale for throwing kids around who are 5-9, 150 vs 6-7, 270 then you should not watch film.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Outside of maybe 5-10 high school leagues in the country, the vast majority of high-end D1 caliber talent will run circles around the balance of the league that they play in.

For example, you can't look at the film for any player in the state of Washington and try to measure how good they are based on the competition they play against. That's insanely FS ... reminds me of kids that played with my brothers in high school that tried to argue that they were better players because they had more RBIs or whatever.

The reality is that you know a high end D1 player when you see it ... just like you know a high end professional player when you see it when they are playing in college.

You aren't going to 1-up Dennis ... stop trying.
  • NurpleNurple Member Posts: 686
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Out of a million plus kids 8% will play college football but only 2.4% play D1.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Nurple said:

LEAVE!!!! There is no room for rational thinking backed up by data on HH.
    Nurple said:

I'm drunk, what does this mean?
    It might have deeper meaning but it's beyond my comprehension at the moment.
    Nurple said:

I literally had a point/counter point to this but a tall boy interrupted and became another tall boy now we're here.10 pumps to the one who can solve it cause I gave up.
    Nurple said:

Nurple said:

I literally had a point/counter point to this but a tall boy interrupted and became another tall boy now we're here.10 pumps to the one who can solve it cause I gave up.
    Just post like 16 times in a row. That's how we know we can figure out that you're actually drunk.
  • FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    Tequilla said:

Outside of maybe 5-10 high school leagues in the country, the vast majority of high-end D1 caliber talent will run circles around the balance of the league that they play in.

For example, you can't look at the film for any player in the state of Washington and try to measure how good they are based on the competition they play against. That's insanely FS ... reminds me of kids that played with my brothers in high school that tried to argue that they were better players because they had more RBIs or whatever.

The reality is that you know a high end D1 player when you see it ... just like you know a high end professional player when you see it when they are playing in college.

You aren't going to 1-up Dennis ... stop trying.
    I wasn't tried to one-up anyone. He had said it makes no difference at all, "ever". You yourself said there are a few select leagues where the level of competition is raised and you can base some of their play of their opponents. There are some players who are overlooked BECAUSE of lack of competition, who end up going to small schools and still impress professional scouts, so it does matter to a small extent.

Obviously Tupuola is huge and athletic in his case it doesn't matter (which I mentioned a few posts ago), but some WRs and such who don't have elite athleticism and are in leagues of low competition might get overlooked.

Nurple said:

That means if we use 1 million kids as our base line, 8% or 80,000 will play college ball but only 2.4% or 24,000 will play D 1 ball

That is literally what that means, @BearsWiin

There are 128 D 1 schools meaning of that 24,000 each team will get 187.5 players. Over 5 years that is about 38 players a year. Which is starting to not make sense again.

Anyway, those 38 players are playing shit competition in high school. Maybe. Or not
    I was well into my drinking when I read that shit and yes those numbers don't add up. You get 10 pumps for doing the math.Now back to my coloring book.
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,104
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

Nurple said:

That means if we use 1 million kids as our base line, 8% or 80,000 will play college ball but only 2.4% or 24,000 will play D 1 ball

There are 128 D 1 schools meaning of that 24,000 each team will get 187.5 players. Over 5 years that is about 38 players a year. Which is starting to not make sense again.

Anyway, those 38 players are playing shit competition in high school. Maybe. Or not
    FCS is division-1 according to the NCAA, so there are 253 teams, or 95 players a team. Probably includes walk-ons.
  • Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,906
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Nurple said:

It means you should not drive anything. Including your wheel chair.

Nurple said:

It means you should not drive anything. Including your wheel chair.
    Too late! REEEEELAPSE!
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,683
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Nurple said:

FCS is division-1 according to the NCAA, so there are 253 teams, or 95 players a team. Probably includes walk-ons.
    But still
  • chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I tbs'd his hudl. He looks good and athletic for his size and did flash some moves. He is definitely a worthy offer and i think im seasoned enough at this sick hobby to see past the effect of kids playing physically overmatched competition.

I wonder a little bit about kids in this size range since the uw defense doesnt use real ends. Hes kind of a tweener like Levi O in that hes not (yet) big enough to play inside but wont have the quickness and range to stand up and play in space. I see a guy like Tryon as the physical prototype for our OLB positions and Tryon is a completely different kind of athlete than this guy.

So my question for CF, SE, Kim et al Pepsi/Mr Roboto is where do you see him ending up and do you share my "concerns" about how he fits?