Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The late Reggie Rodgers was 6'6"

So is Ali Gaye.

Just sayin'. Don't know why I'm just sayin', but I'm just sayin'.

Comments

• Options
    FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Passion said:

So is Ali Gaye.

I mean, so is Jason Scrempos...

I'm guessing he will be somewhere in the middle of those two.
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Passion said:

So is Ali Gaye.

First of all, I think Scrempos is a DE. Gaye and Rodgers are/were DTs.

Secondly, thanks for bringing down the mood.
  • Options
    Passion said:

Passion said:

So is Ali Gaye.

We're all assuming he's a DT because of our last 2 classes, but some think he might be our big DE. He could do either, but yeah, he probably ends up inside with our lack of depth there (unless we have an amazing DT class for 2018). I mean, you can take any recruit's height and probably find a really good comp and a really bad one.
  • Options
    edited February 2017

Passion said:

Passion said:

So is Ali Gaye.

We're all assuming he's a DT because of our last 2 classes, but some think he might be our big DE. He could do either, but yeah, he probably ends up inside with our lack of depth there (unless we have an amazing DT class for 2018). I mean, you can take any recruit's height and probably find a really good comp and a really bad one.
    JESUS FUCK.

WHEN IS THE LAST TIME WE PLAYED A DE??!!?

We play a 2-2-2-5 defense.

It doesn't surprise me that you have either a) not watched or b) not comprehended our games.

FUCK YOU. HOW FUCKING STUPID DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO THINK WE PLAY DE'S?!!?

Jude level bullshit... look at the depth chart!!

HOW ABOUT WATCH THE FUCKING GAMES!!! Even when Qualls played in our heavy package, he played FUCKING SAM. FUCK.

GOOOOOOOOO FUCK YOURSELF.

GAYE IS A DT. WE PLAY 2 DTs, A BUCK AND A SAM. CHRIST ALMIGHTY.

We haven't had any quality DEs to play so our DTs would position themselves where DEs would depending on the alignment. Gaines, Vea, and Qualls are our best DL so they've got them all on the field at the same time as much as possible. On the depth chart released by Coach Peterson it even lists Vita Vea as a Fuckin DE. Jaylen Johnson will be playing as a 3-4 DE next year, bud. Do you think Levi Onwuzurike is going to be classified as a DT then? No he won't. If you're going to leave your caps lock on, might as well have the right information. Do you think Coach Pete thinks the optimal situation is having Qualls in 2-Pt stance?

I even agreed I think Gaye will be a DT most likely.
  • Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Passion said:

Passion said:

So is Ali Gaye.

JESUS FUCK.

It doesn't surprise me that you have either a) not watched or b) not comprehended our games.

HOW ABOUT WATCH THE FUCKING GAMES!!! Even when Qualls played in our heavy package, he played FUCKING SAM. FUCK.

We haven't had any quality DEs to play so our DTs would position themselves where DEs would depending on the alignment. Gaines, Vea, and Qualls are our best DL so they've got them all on the field at the same time as much as possible. On the depth chart released by Coach Peterson it even lists Vita Vea as a Fuckin DE. Jaylen Johnson will be playing as a 3-4 DE next year, bud. Do you think Levi Onwuzurike is going to be classified as a DT then? No he won't. If you're going to leave your caps lock on, might as well have the right information. Do you think Coach Pete thinks the optimal situation is having Qualls in 2-Pt stance?

Depth charts are crocks of shit. Who is Peterson?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2017

Passion said:

Passion said:

So is Ali Gaye.

JESUS FUCK.

At times we have played a fairly traditional 3-4 or a 3-3-5. Point still stands because 3-4 DE's are 5 tech DT's.

Gaye is already 275-280. He will get bigger. I agree with whoever said that fans are dumb and want to throw 40 pounds on any player, but it should happen with Gaye. What college team plays a guy that big at DE?
  • Options

Passion said:

Passion said:

So is Ali Gaye.

JESUS FUCK.

Depth charts are crocks of shit. Who is Peterson?
    And you're probably right about them being a crock a shit. Classifying DT vs DE hardly even matters. Qualls, Vea, and Gaines lined up in locations usually occupied by both DTs and DEs anyway. (i.e. Michael Bennett as a DE, but lines up inside).
  • Options

Passion said:

Passion said:

So is Ali Gaye.

JESUS FUCK.

At times we have played a fairly traditional 3-4 or a 3-3-5. Point still stands because 3-4 DE's are 5 tech DT's.

Gaye is already 275-280. He will get bigger. I agree with whoever said that fans are dumb and want to throw 40 pounds on any player, but it should happen with Gaye. What college team plays a guy that big at DE?
    I actually agree that he ends up as a DT. More that he's athletic enough to line up in 5-tech in the future if for some reason we stocked up on more stout interior players.

Chris Wormley of Michigan at 305 pounds lines up at DE sometimes. The classification hardly matters, you're right about that.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Passion said:

Passion said:

So is Ali Gaye.

JESUS FUCK.

I actually agree that he ends up as a DT. More that he's athletic enough to line up in 5-tech in the future if for some reason we stocked up on more stout interior players.

Chris Wormley of Michigan at 305 pounds lines up at DE sometimes. The classification hardly matters, you're right about that.
    Gaye is going to be used like Vea. Hopefully he is close to as good. I don't care and it doesn't matter what he is listed at. He's a DT all the way.
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Passion said:

Passion said:

So is Ali Gaye.

JESUS FUCK.

Actually, we often play 2 DTs, a BUCK, a SAM, and a down DE. JoJo Mathis played with his hand down. Gaye may split out over the OT on occasion, but he is not a DE.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

85-90% of our snaps this season were:

2 Interior DLs (call them whatever the fuck you want; we rotate, Qualls, Gaines, Vea, Turpin, Johnson, Bowman, etc.)

1 BUCK (Mathis or Potatoes)

1 SAM (Not going to dignify him and Tevis)

1 MIK (Victor; Later Beavers)

1 WIL (Bierria, BBK was the 2, Welly was the 3 generally)

2 CBs (Jones, King, Gardenhire didn't play a ton, but Miller played hardly at all)

1 NICKEL (Budda)

2 Ss (JoJo and Rapp)

Where's the fucking DE? Nowhere. We don't play them.

We only play BUCKs/SAMs. Qualls lined up and played SAM against Stanford a bunch, then USC, Utah, Colorado and Bama some.

Buck is basically a DE. Kikaha was a DE. Mathis was a DE. It was a little different with Feeney because they adapt to the skill sets and he was Buck because of need. Ideally they don't want a 225 pound Buck.

In the NFL, they are 3-4 OLB's and stand up, but they are still essentially DE's. They rarely are asked to cover. Their job is getting the QB.

UW essentially plays a pro style 3-4 defense. The first year, we played 3 down lineman and Kikaha. The past two years, it has often been two DL. Last year it was often two DL and our base defense was the nickel.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754

2 Interior DLs (call them whatever the fuck you want; we rotate, Qualls, Gaines, Vea, Turpin, Johnson, Bowman, etc.)

2 CBs (Jones, King, Gardenhire didn't play a ton, but Miller played hardly at all)

1 NICKEL (Budda)

2 Ss (JoJo and Rapp)

We only play BUCKs/SAMs. Qualls lined up and played SAM against Stanford a bunch, then USC, Utah, Colorado and Bama some.

Buck is basically a DE. Kikaha was a DE. Mathis was a DE. It was a little different with Feeney because they adapt to the skill sets and he was Buck because of need. Ideally they don't want a 225 pound Buck.

In the NFL, they are 3-4 OLB's and stand up, but they are still essentially DE's. They rarely are asked to cover. Their job is getting the QB.

UW essentially plays a pro style 3-4 defense. The first year, we played 3 down lineman and Kikaha. The past two years, it has often been two DL. Last year it was often two DL and our base defense was the nickel.
    If you look at what we are recruiting and how we are evolving, it's clear they like 2 interior guys, BUCK and SAM (the body types are interchangeable in our D, so it's essentially the same; but the SAM plays wide side and BUCK plays short).

So, we play a 3-4 defense, but with two DL who are both interior guys then the hope is that the BUCK is flexible enough to rush, set the edge and cover. That's why Mathis was a perfect body type for it.

However, we never played a 3-4 last year - we played 2 '3-4' OLBs with only 2 interior guys. So, a 2-4 if you like, but the BUCK/SAM and the LBs are so different I think of it as a 2-2-2-5, but whatever. The point is, we play 2 interior guys and 2 stand up edge guys whatever the fuck you want to call them (but they aren't DEs in any normal way), then 2 traditional LBs.
  • Options

1 NICKEL (Budda)

2 Ss (JoJo and Rapp)

If you look at what we are recruiting and how we are evolving, it's clear they like 2 interior guys, BUCK and SAM (the body types are interchangeable in our D, so it's essentially the same; but the SAM plays wide side and BUCK plays short).

So, we play a 3-4 defense, but with two DL who are both interior guys then the hope is that the BUCK is flexible enough to rush, set the edge and cover. That's why Mathis was a perfect body type for it.

However, we never played a 3-4 last year - we played 2 '3-4' OLBs with only 2 interior guys. So, a 2-4 if you like, but the BUCK/SAM and the LBs are so different I think of it as a 2-2-2-5, but whatever. The point is, we play 2 interior guys and 2 stand up edge guys whatever the fuck you want to call them (but they aren't DEs in any normal way), then 2 traditional LBs.
    Do you think they bulk Onwuzurike to 280 pounds then? Or keep him the same weight similar to Potoa'e? The BUCK is a diverse position that does different things depending on who's out there.
  • Options

1 NICKEL (Budda)

2 Ss (JoJo and Rapp)

Do you think they bulk Onwuzurike to 280 pounds then? Or keep him the same weight similar to Potoa'e? The BUCK is a diverse position that does different things depending on who's out there.
    Levi is an interior guy. Everyone bulks. So, unless you come in as a fleet-footed guy, you are an interior guy.

I know you are new here, so I will let you in on a joke between a few of us... the joke is that 'everyone is offered as a BUCK.' Kids love the idea of 'playing all over the field', so they literally tell 70% of their front 7 recruits they will play BUCK.

What they want in a BUCK is ideally a guy like Benning, Jaelan Phillips or Joe Tryon: a guy who can set the edge, cover and rush the passer.

SAM is similar to BUCK in our D except for their abilities have to be slightly more on the field coverage end, rather than pass rush. I think Amandre is their prototype SAM on some level.

Look at Jaylen - signed at 240 or so, now is inside, because he's not a pass rusher/space coverer. This last year Tryon is a BUCK, Gaye is an interior kid and Ngata is either a SAM or a LB. I think he'll end up inside, but that's more a hunch.

You have to remember the coaches are always full of shit when they talk publicly. It's all for a PR reason - whether it's recruiting or confusing other teams.
    Okay, I definitely get what you're saying. I was just saying that because, while you're right that most people bulk, Potoa'e has essentially stayed the same weight. 6'3" 270 also seems like far too much to be covering the flats and such. I know he's an athletic freak, but you rarely see that. It's just interesting when Joe Mathis is 255 pounds and his 2 primary backups are 270 pounds and 232 pounds. I almost feel like Benning is kind of a tweener at the moment. I feel he might be better if lost a bit of weight or gained weight and played as a down lineman more often. He looked only average at best out there to me, although I realize it's only his 2nd year in the system.

Outside of Benning and O'Brien who do you see as a leading candidate at BUCK in 2017?
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Outside of Benning and O'Brien who do you see as a leading candidate at BUCK in 2017?

Azeem.
  • Options
    NEsnake12 said:

Azeem.
    I've seen this get passed around a decent amount in the short time I've been active on this site. He would probably be the best option on the roster, but I just can't see him switching positions for his r.Sr year when he's going to be a MLB at the next level anyway.