Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Tony Wroten

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
I've been almost alone in saying he is going to be good eventually in the NBA. I've been on record saying he will be better than Terrence Ross in the league. Not many players can get to the hoop like he can. 10 points in the first half for the 76ers in the first half against the Heat.

I know he will have bad moments this year too, but he will get playing time for the 76ers this year. Getting traded by Memphis was a good thing for him.

Comments

• MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited October 2013
    at least Ross knew when he should stay in the college oven a little longer. Wroten went from draft money to D-league in record time and came out under done. Likely for the same reasons he should have stuck with the college game. for another year or two.

I wish him well with the 76'ers.

#SelfAwareness
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    MisterEm said:

at least Ross knew when he should stay in the college oven a little longer. Wroten went from draft money to D-league in record time and came out under done. Likely for the same reasons he should have stuck with the college game. for another year or two.

I wish him well with the 76'ers.

#SelfAwareness

I agree about Ross, but Wroten was a first rounder, so he still got a guaranteed deal. He probably should have came back, but he may have ended up having another frustrating year under Romar. Wroten should have went somewhere where his out of control play would not be tolerated, and he would have been forced to get better. That's not UW. He is a terrible shooter, but it's his turnovers and lazy defense that are the bigger problem. Athletically, he should grow into a great defender. He's one of the quickest guys in the league, and he's 6'5".

Some thought his career was in trouble when Memphis traded him, but Thomas Robinson was picked #5 and has already been traded twice. Lots of young players get traded and play in the D League before sticking. Wroten has too much talent to bounce out of the league after two or three seasons. He will be around for awhile.

• I can't wait until that cancer Tony Wroten is gone! We are going to be so much better when he's gone!

I don't miss that argument at all. Same thing was said about Hawes and in both cases the team was dog shit the following year.

I think Wroten will be good but I disagree on him being better than Ross. Ross is a great athlete who can shoot which tells me he'll be in the league for over a decade. I can see Ross even making a bull shit all-star appearance if he is on a shitty team. I can also see Ross having a Nate Robinson playoff moment as he is so streaky.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The league is full of players with Ross' skillset. I don't see him ever being anything but an above average shooter (not last year) and a dunker. He doesn't score off the dribble, can't pass, doesn't get to the line, and plays terrible D. If he was on the right team, he might turn into an athletic role player, but I don't see it with him, especially being stuck on the Raptors.

Wroten has a long way to go, but he has a unique skill set. Probably neither guy will be anything special, but I think Wroten has a better chance to potentially be an impact player.
  • TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    I agree on Wroten. And he looked good tonight.

I thought the trade from Memphis was troubling. They dumped him for nothing. I don't think anyone would say Wroten isn't talented so that deal seems like it was more about off the court. His on the court game translates to the NBA. You don't have to be able to shoot. Rondo can't shoot.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I think Ross is going to be good. He is really good at creating his own shot that you can't really guard he just needs to get his confidence. Same thing happened at UW early into his first year, played really tentative. His athleticism is off the charts, Romar always recruits athletes but Ross might be the best one of them all.

I always thought Wroten would be an All Star in the NBA as his game is pretty much tailor made for it. Teams play really soft D so he will be able to get to the rim at will and drop some of those crazy dimes that he always tried and whiffed at UW.

Amazing Romar couldn't make the tournament with BOTH on the squad. I don't hate Romar probably as most (he is really frustrating sometimes) but that is still mind boggling.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,890
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Is Ross going to be worth at least two wins this season??
  • DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Is Ross going to be worth at least two wins this season??

College football is only 12 games. Carry that over to an 82 game season and he should be worth 13.66 wins this season. That's MVP quality.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,813
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    You could have argued that Ross should have come back for one more year. He's got all of the skills you could want in a player of his size. Where he needs improvement is in trusting those skills and developing more of a killer instinct on the court versus being a drifter. It's the drifter in him that will get him in trouble in the NBA.

Memphis dumping Wroten isn't really that surprising. Memphis is trying to win now. Z Bo doesn't have too much mileage left on him and Wroten's way too inconsistent for them to count on in their rotation given that they actually try to play fundamental basketball. Wroten's in probably one of the better situations for him in that he's going to get plenty of minutes playing for a terrible team that will give him the opportunity to take his lumps and realize where he needs to mature and grow in his game going forward. He's never struck me as a guy that is going to work too hard on developing the weaknesses in his game until they are basically shoved in his face.
  • DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Who would win in a 3 point contest, Wroten or Todd MacCulloch?
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,813
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Mac ... not even a contest