Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,282
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    She nailed it regarding university/government research. Private sector is more honest, anyone who has worked both knows this firsthand.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

She nailed it regarding university/government research. Private sector is more honest, anyone who has worked both knows this firsthand.

Let's just abolish research and development. Especially from the worlds best education centers.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I did not read it.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    2001400ex said:

Let's just abolish research and development. Especially from the worlds best education centers.
    Clearly not your wheelhouse.

Self preservation and politics often play too big a role in "university" research. Those who can do, those who can't teach, and supplement their incomes with research that gets the "right" answers so as to ensure continued funding. This is not to say that all university research is polluted, because much of it is not, particularly in cases where the funding sources include (or are exclusively) private sector. But it is beyond naive to assume that all university research is pure as the driven snow. "Climate Science" research is a classic example of how self preservation and politics have led to unscrupulous actions, including data manipulation to support the "right" answer, on the part of many "professional" public sector researchers. Sharp lady nailed it.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,616
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter

I did not read it.

I don't recommend doing so.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    jecornel said:

I did not read it.

Faggywink minds think alike.
  • Options

2001400ex said:

Self preservation and politics often play too big a role in "university" research. Those who can do, those who can't teach, and supplement their incomes with research that gets the "right" answers so as to ensure continued funding. This is not to say that all university research is polluted, because much of it is not, particularly in cases where the funding sources include (or are exclusively) private sector. But it is beyond naive to assume that all university research is pure as the driven snow. "Climate Science" research is a classic example of how self preservation and politics have led to unscrupulous actions, including data manipulation to support the "right" answer, on the part of many "professional" public sector researchers. Sharp lady nailed it.
    Holy projecting Batman. You do realize on things like the climate, that researchers from around the world have come to the exact same conclusion?

Not to mention that university's are a valuable part of research. But ok!
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    2001400ex said:

You are missing the greater point of what has academic "R&D" turned into
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Holy projecting Batman. You do realize on things like the climate, that researchers from around the world have come to the exact same conclusion?

Not to mention that university's are a valuable part of research. But ok!
    Reading is hard...

I especially like it when morons like HondoFS post things oblivious to the original point of the thread.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,099
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

As someone who has done university research and who has worked in the private sector I can definitely say the academic side was vastly more honest. Nothing is perfect, but I have found personal agendas to be a much bigger driving factor in industry than in academia. Personally I prefer private industry because I think the fundamental way we do teaching and research in this country is messed up. While I completely disagree with anyone who thinks the take away from this article is that climate scientists have not overwhelmingly shown humans have altered (warmed) Earth's climate, there are certainly some meaningful points in there that resonate with my experiences.
  • Options
    Mad_Son said:

As someone who has done university research and who has worked in the private sector I can definitely say the academic side was vastly more honest. Nothing is perfect, but I have found personal agendas to be a much bigger driving factor in industry than in academia. Personally I prefer private industry because I think the fundamental way we do teaching and research in this country is messed up. While I completely disagree with anyone who thinks the take away from this article is that climate scientists have not overwhelmingly shown humans have altered (warmed) Earth's climate, there are certainly some meaningful points in there that resonate with my experiences.
    I trust Exxon's research on the effect burning fossil fuels.
  • Options
    MuttzenMuttzen Member Posts: 1,015
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Mad_Son said:

As someone currently in academia, this is frightening if industry is even less honest. Publish or perish is creating loads of shit papers, shit grants, and shit science.

Perhaps answering to shareholders and MBA experts is no better?
  • Options
    Muttzen said:

Mad_Son said:

As someone currently in academia, this is frightening if industry is even less honest. Publish or perish is creating loads of shit papers, shit grants, and shit science.

Perhaps answering to shareholders and MBA experts is no better?
    I think it's about corporations trying to find support for their position to help the company. Rather than trying to find what the actual right answer is.
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    jecornel said:

I did not read it.

Fuck you, cunt.