Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Something none of the "experts" ever talk about

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
edited December 2016 in Hardcore Husky Board
Power 5 wins. Obviously not all power 5 wins are created equally, but total of power 5 wins should be a better indicator of overall quality of what a team has "proven" than simple looking at the non conference schedule.

We'll look at the top 10 teams in the CFP rankings since no one else really matters.

1. Alabama - 9 power 5 wins (about to be 10)
2. Ohio State - 9
3. Clemson - 9 (probably about to be 10)
4. Washington - 10
5. Michigan - 8
6. Wisconsin - 8 (could get to 9)
7. Penn State - 8 (could get to 9)
8. Colorado - 8
9. Oklahoma - 9
10. Oklahoma State - 8

While all these "experts" rage about UW's weak non conference schedule (and it was weak, no question), they're ignoring the fact that UW has more power 5 wins than anyone in the nation as we speak, and is assured of finishing no worse than a three way tie for first.

Obviously the response to this is "Rutgers doesn't count" and I'm fine with that. But if Rutgers doesn't count and we dock UW to 9, we also have to dock Ohio State to 8, dock Penn State to 7/8 and dock Michigan to 7. So if Rutgers gets removed UW falls to at most a three way tie for third with Oklahoma and potentially Wisconsin.

None of this matters because we're getting in anyway, just tired of hearing UW's entire schedule shit on all the time. Our non conference schedule sucked. Our overall schedule is right there with basically anybody's.

And that's before you realize nobody else in the top 10 (and probably nobody else in the nation) has multiple 30 point wins over teams assured of finishing in the top 20.

UW's resume holds up a lot better than I thought it would once I started digging into it. UW's a legit top 4 team both via the eye test and on paper. And we have a real shot at the 2/3 game.

Outside of Bama, nobody in the country has a clearly better resume than us.

One hell of a season.

Comments

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,983
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Our schedule sucks. But we have some decent wins wsu, Utah, Stanford, Colorado and our loss was to a good team in USC.

Wisconsin and penn states resume is not more impressive. You are only giving them credit for losing games. I would put our best wins against theirs. The top 4 was set last week.
  • Options
    PatHadenFSPatHadenFS Member Posts: 542
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    The transitive power of football shit is fucking nonsense. Once you start to drill into that shit, the whole house of cards falls down.

I don't care if Michigan passes the 'eye test', they're fucking losers who lost their play-in game to Ohio State. Ohio State are losers who lost their play-in game to Penn State. Bugger them both with my 3.87" cock, and just send the conference fucking champions.

Winners win, and that starts with winning your goddamn division.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

The transitive power of football shit is fucking nonsense. Once you start to drill into that shit, the whole house of cards falls down.

I don't care if Michigan passes the 'eye test', they're fucking losers who lost their play-in game to Ohio State. Ohio State are losers who lost their play-in game to Penn State. Bugger them both with my 3.87" cock, and just send the conference fucking champions.

Michigan had more trouble with colorado at home than we did on a neutral site. the only common opponent. why should Michigan win the tiebreak?
  • Options
    dhdawg said:

Michigan had more trouble with colorado at home than we did on a neutral site. the only common opponent. why should Michigan win the tiebreak?
    Rutgers is the other common opponent
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    dnc said:

dhdawg said:

Rutgers is the other common opponent
    scrimmages don't count
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,983
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2016
    48-13 vs 77-0. Michigan beats us 29 to neg 13. Quite simple really.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

In defense of Ohio State, they won the XII today.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The shitty non conference schedule is a double edged sword. Ours gets used against us, but if we would have scheduled a top 10 team and lost, we wouldn't be going to the playoff.

Oklahoma is a good example of this. If they didn't lose to Ohio State and played Idaho instead, I'm not sure if they wouldn't be going to the playoff.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    IT MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE TO PUT A TEAM IN THE PLAYOFF IF THEY HAVE ALREADY LOST TO ANOTHER TEAM IN THE PLAYOFF.

Fuck.

Ohio State gets to skip the extra test and (IMO) should sit, but they won't because the whole god damn thing doesn't make a bit of fucking sense.

A poll is a poll is a poll and we have a poll system like we always have. This isn't a fucking playoff, it's a poll system with a tournament as a reward.

There's no fucking need for it and expanding it will only make the whole season worse.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

IT MAKES NO FUCKING SENSE TO PUT A TEAM IN THE PLAYOFF IF THEY HAVE ALREADY LOST TO ANOTHER TEAM IN THE PLAYOFF.

Fuck.

Ohio State gets to skip the extra test and (IMO) should sit, but they won't because the whole god damn thing doesn't make a bit of fucking sense.

A poll is a poll is a poll and we have a poll system like we always have. This isn't a fucking playoff, it's a poll system with a tournament as a reward.

There's no fucking need for it and expanding it will only make the whole season worse.

Meds way off.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    The East Coast bias, worse in favor of the Big 10 than the SEC, has been around since before the '78 Rose Bowl when Michigan was ranked #4 and favored by two touchdowns over 13th ranked Washington. It goes back to before 1960, when Minnesota was already anointed National Champions before the Huskies beat them in the '61 Rose Bowl. Some shit just never dies, and the arrogant belief of NY and Chicago area fans and writers that their teams are inherently superior to the Pac12 will never die. It's here to stay. The only good thing about it is how many times the Pac12 representative has beaten the fucking shit out of the Big10's best. Too many humiliating Big 10 blowout losses to count.

Fuck them all. Fuck their shitty cities and fuck their annually overrated teams.
  • Options
    BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511
    We are also 4-1 against top 30 teams, better than anybody besides Bama. Clemson might get to 4-1 today.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

The shitty non conference schedule is a double edged sword. Ours gets used against us, but if we would have scheduled a top 10 team and lost, we wouldn't be going to the playoff.

Oklahoma is a good example of this. If they didn't lose to Ohio State and played Idaho instead, I'm not sure if they wouldn't be going to the playoff.

Dan Dierdorf doesn't disagree with this poast.

It's a fair point, though I think UW would still get in ahead of Oklahoma in the hypothetical you present. UW still has better wins, and a conference championship game victory.

I think OU is still on the outside looking in in this scenario.

Penn State losing to Pitt might be a better example. Take that away and replace it with say, Kansas, and they're probably in wiff a win tonight.