Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Huskies played not to lose, instead of playing to win

Hardcore_HuskyHardcore_Husky Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 302
Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited November 2016 in Hardcore Husky Board

imageHuskies played not to lose, instead of playing to win

A golden opportunity was lost yesterday, and fault lies with coaches as
much as players

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    mobeymobey Member Posts: 3,254
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    We've fallen in love with the long ball but even when we hit them they're generally under thrown.

That was a game that screamed for a rush game and short throws but we're too impatient for that; or Smith is.

We're out of the playoffs and maybe that's good considering how our lines got owned.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Other teams are improving over the course of the season. We're not. What is something we are doing better now than we did back in September? I realize our opponents are a higher quality now, but I can't think of a single thing. We used to get a pass rush and now we're not. Our special teams are worse.

We've been playing not to lose for a while. I watch about as much Penn State as I do Washington. PSU couldn't complete a comeback against Pitt and then a few weeks later got just destroyed by Michigan. They had injuries too including linebackers. Their QB was not playing well, especially in the passing game.

I don't know exactly what happened, but their QB is a ton better and their defense has improved as well. They found a way to beat Urban. It look a ton of luck (blocked FGs for TDs can't be a part of a gameplan) but they played loose with nothing to lose. Yesterday they were in a dogfight all game and couldn't run the ball (two starting tackles hurt and the LT replacement got hurt during the game) but kept feeding Saquon Barkley the rock and eventually broke through in the 4th. Barkley had 33 carries for 60 yards. Even when they were down they knew they could still do it. The QB wasn't pouting about 2 INTs. We have been nothing but front runners this year. We can handle pressure in a tie game. Get down by a score late or by 2 scores earlier? We shit ourselves. Penn State, down on the road by 10 in the 3rd, missing o-linemen, found a way to battle back. And it's not like PSU is some veteran team that's been there before.

USC has gotten better. WSU has gotten better. I suppose it is natural for teams that lose early to improve but I would like to know what areas of the team are better today than in September. Taylor Rapp?
    The offense is definitely regressing; that little fake zone read turned option pitch that was introduced for Stanford hasn't shown up again. That was a nice new wrinkle. What new wrinkles have we found since?

I had faith in Pete and still do. But I'm blown away at how bad we were yesterday. I realize we had many missed opportunities (missed open deep balls, the blocked FG) that if we hit on the game is likely different. But Pete has been a hugely successful big game coach in the past. We were the complete opposite of that yesterday. He's also had to coach an undefeated team again a dreck schedule and keep them focused and he's done it before. Maybe he can't handle the pressure when not every single team is complete dreck and a few of them have a pulse or are equals.
  • Options
    SteveSuckisianSteveSuckisian Member Posts: 68
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Egh ... PennSt was playing Indiana
  • Options
    SteveSuckisianSteveSuckisian Member Posts: 68
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Looked like Huskies got whipped up front. Made no adjustments with the pocket and made some momentum killing play calls ... mainly 2nd and 1 reverse on 1st drive and pathetic series after pick at SC 30 down 17-13.
    After that no momentum and Browning sacking himself the rest of the game.
  • Options
    BurbankDAWGBurbankDAWG Member Posts: 9
    Photogenic 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Lets just go out and blow away ASU. Then ....worry about the Apple Cup. Nobody thought at the start of the season we'd be 9-1 after 11 weeks. Hell yeah I'd take a Rose Bowl birth
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Lets just go out and blow away ASU. Then ....worry about the Apple Cup. Nobody thought at the start of the season we'd be 9-1 after 11 weeks. Hell yeah I'd take a Rose Bowl birth

When did Dick Baird join HCH?
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

When did Dick Baird join HCH?
    When he heard we had free booze

• Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

imageHuskies played not to lose, instead of playing to win

A golden opportunity was lost yesterday, and fault lies with coaches as
    much as players

Read the full story here

A massive failure either way.