Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Most disappointing plungerings

13»

Comments

• Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    dnc said:

But seriously the 2001 Miami game and it isn't close. We were one year removed from a semi legitimate argument at a spot in the natty game. Earliest I ever turned a UW game off.

This. Remember, that game was postponed - we would scored at least twice if not for 9/11

Btw, whatever happened to our Boca Raton pipeline? Fuck Florida
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The three plungers in 2012 on a year that was supposed to show progress was awful. From looking like toddlers at LSU to being down 35-7 at half at Oregon and then quitting at Arizona and blaming it on trust issues.
    The Arizona game was when I turned on sark. That's when it became clear the program was showing no progress under him. It was a Willingham like performance
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,742
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    The Arizona State game in 2013 is when I totally lost my shit. After so many years to feel like we were back at square one was too much.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Did the team quit against Miami or just get physically assaulted? Because they definitely quit against Cal in 03, and that shit was worse than the entire Willingham era.

Both. Miami was loaded with talent and ready to avenge the loss @ UW a year earlier. Washington did their best France circa 1939 impression and laid down. Unlike, the Germans who took it easy on the French -short of pilfering their art and wine and slipping their women a knockwurst- Miami overran US like Huns, raping and pillaging our yellow lads and when they're were done, they danced on their corpses.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2016

I wasn't at Gilby's game at Cal, so for me the absolute worst lack of effort, team giving up, embarassement, lack of ranch dressing, was the 41-0 Stanford game in the rain in 2010. I don't think we(we!) got 100 yds of offense until LSJU put in the reserves in the 4th qtr. But after wanting Sark fired after the Nebraska game, I actually wasn't disappointed because I thought it would hasten Sark's exit. But then the Holiday Bowl happened.

I'm too young to remember the details of the eventual Rose Bowl Champs loosing to UCLA 31-0 in 1981. So for me the two biggest surprising plungers were Miami in 2001, and one that I am surprised is not getting more mentions: Nebraska in 1998.

A top 10 team gets plungered 55-7. Brock asks the Nebraska linemen to stop hitting him so hard. Gerald Harris gets a collapsed lung. Nebraska's mystique was partly built on being undefeated against non-league teams since 1991. So we (we!) took that as Nebraska could beat anyone in Lincoln, except us. So we were reportedly the first team ever to face a #2 Nebraska team in Lincoln and not only not be intimidated, but actually be too loose. I thought we had a real team that year, and loosing by 48 when you're ranked in the top 10 qualifies as both a plungering and as a disappointment.

I have been trying to remember which was the "stop hitting me" game all day.

I think Brock has turned into a pretty good broadcaster and I have run into him in Redmond a few times and he seems like a nice enough guy (for a borderline creepy super Christian), but I do think about that game every time I see him or hear his voice.

Rough legacy.
  • Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,962
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    AIRWOLF said:

I wasn't at Gilby's game at Cal, so for me the absolute worst lack of effort, team giving up, embarassement, lack of ranch dressing, was the 41-0 Stanford game in the rain in 2010. I don't think we(we!) got 100 yds of offense until LSJU put in the reserves in the 4th qtr. But after wanting Sark fired after the Nebraska game, I actually wasn't disappointed because I thought it would hasten Sark's exit. But then the Holiday Bowl happened.

I'm too young to remember the details of the eventual Rose Bowl Champs loosing to UCLA 31-0 in 1981. So for me the two biggest surprising plungers were Miami in 2001, and one that I am surprised is not getting more mentions: Nebraska in 1998.

A top 10 team gets plungered 55-7. Brock asks the Nebraska linemen to stop hitting him so hard. Gerald Harris gets a collapsed lung. Nebraska's mystique was partly built on being undefeated against non-league teams since 1991. So we (we!) took that as Nebraska could beat anyone in Lincoln, except us. So we were reportedly the first team ever to face a #2 Nebraska team in Lincoln and not only not be intimidated, but actually be too loose. I thought we had a real team that year, and loosing by 48 when you're ranked in the top 10 qualifies as both a plungering and as a disappointment.

I have been trying to remember which was the "stop hitting me" game all day.

I think Brock has turned into a pretty good broadcaster and I have run into him in Redmond a few times and he seems like a nice enough guy (for a borderline creepy super Christian), but I do think about that game every time I see him or hear his voice.

Rough legacy.
    Brock was a complete tool. And, he was an awful leader as QB. Made of glass too. Shit, half the team wanted Shane Fortney to start before he was run off. He was the epitome of performance anxiety. All the talent in the world. Such tease