Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Something really stupid

If Houston makes it into the Big 12 my perception of their academics will be greatly improved in my eyes. They will have state school academics in my mind by joining an athletic conference. It makes no rational sense but just by virtue of athletic success I consider it academic success. I doubt I'm the only person who feels that way too - like the only intelligent thing Emmert ever did was say football is the front porch of the university.

Why can't we prioritize football? It shouldn't matter but it does. Get our fucking heads out of the sand.

Comments

• Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,094
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Also, university commitments make football programs - not iron laws. The only thing that matters is having a supportive institution that will do whatever it takes to hire the right coach. Sure, facilities, nice location, etc helps in the arms race to get an edge and maybe win it all, but at the end of the day winning programs come from great coaches. Great programs with all the advantages in the world can suck with the wrong coach (see USC since Carroll, LSU early 90s, etc).

Houston is Tom Herman away from being nothing again.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2016
    Houston has 43,000 students, a 63% acceptance rate and a rather large medical school, law school and pharmacy program. Their academics compare favorably to most of them he Pac-12
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    doogie said:

Houston has 43,000 students, a 63% acceptance rate and a rather large medical school, law school and pharmacy program. Their academics compare favorably to most of them he Pac-12

Correct, the business school isn't bad either.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited September 2016
    UH is also the alma mater of your Fred Couples (and my Steve Elkington).
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    F(l)agged for replying to yourself you donkey.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Mad_Son said:

If Houston makes it into the Big 12 my perception of their academics will be greatly improved in my eyes. They will have state school academics in my mind by joining an athletic conference. It makes no rational sense but just by virtue of athletic success I consider it academic success. I doubt I'm the only person who feels that way too - like the only intelligent thing Emmert ever did was say football is the front porch of the university.

Why can't we prioritize football? It shouldn't matter but it does. Get our fucking heads out of the sand.

Just check applications the last 10 years for Oregon.

$20 Sven.bucks says they skyrocketed
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    TommySQC said:

Mad_Son said:

They are Cal State Eugene
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,535
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Being a football school would give the appearance that we are taking resources away from academis, and upper campus wants to appear to be a public Ivy so they can take out of state tuition from chinks and/or Cali transplants. HTH.

It's done been gone over. Roll Tide.
  • Options
    BallSackedBallSacked Member Posts: 3,279
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2016
    PurpleJ said:

Being a football school would give the appearance that we are taking resources away from academis, and upper campus wants to appear to be a public Ivy so they can take out of state tuition from chinks and/or Cali transplants. HTH.

No one from "Cali" wants to go to UW. Only the dumb ones like doogles have to go to UW. Kind of like how all the UCs rejected you.

HTH
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

TommySQC said:

Mad_Son said:

They are Cal State Legal Weed
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,535
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

No one from "Cali" wants to go to UW. Only the dumb ones like doogles have to go to UW. Kind of like how all the UCs rejected you.

HTH