Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

I know, I know. NGAF...

about men's golf, but I like to see UW teams do well. And losing Matt Thurmond to ASU is a big blow. A few years ago, UW had 3 coaches that I thought were elite and top 10 coaches in the country at their sport. Jim McLaughlin, Kevin McGuff, and Matt Thurmond. A few years later, all 3 have left for "better" programs.

And on the surface, Thurmond's move makes sense. But does it really? He grew up in the area and has strong ties to the program. People talk about how hard it is to recruit to UW in golf but he's recruited 3 #1-ranked amateurs in the last 6 years. That's unheard of. His average finish in his tenure at UW is 9th nationally. So it's not like he's hit a ceiling here. But I have the utmost confidence Tits McCohen knows exactly how to find the best men's golf coach in the land. Then again, Thurmond left shortly after her announcement as AD.

I do know one thing, though. Coach Romar supports her.

Comments

• ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Sounds like Thurmond knows a sinking ship when he sees one.

And ASU is a better program.
  • EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,439
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

about men's golf, but I like to see UW teams do well. And losing Matt Thurmond to ASU is a big blow. A few years ago, UW had 3 coaches that I thought were elite and top 10 coaches in the country at their sport. Jim McLaughlin, Kevin McGuff, and Matt Thurmond. A few years later, all 3 have left for "better" programs.

And on the surface, Thurmond's move makes sense. But does it really? He grew up in the area and has strong ties to the program. People talk about how hard it is to recruit to UW in golf but he's recruited 3 #1-ranked amateurs in the last 6 years. That's unheard of. His average finish in his tenure at UW is 9th nationally. So it's not like he's hit a ceiling here. But I have the utmost confidence Tits McCohen knows exactly how to find the best men's golf coach in the land. Then again, Thurmond left shortly after her announcement as AD.

I do know one thing, though. Coach Romar supports her.

Who?.gif
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,682
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2016