Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Anyone Else Think Josh Shirley has a 12 Sack Season in Him?

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
He had 8.5 as a redshirt freshman then dropped off to 6.5 last year. He did force 6 fumbles last year, including 5 in the last four games. He gets a lot of flack for his part the anemic pass rush, but it does not help that he has nobody else helping him get pressure on the QB. If he gets a counter move to his speed rush, I think he can be a 10-12 sack guy.

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,406
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Its OK to be a one dimensional pass rusher if you have help for the rest of the defense.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited March 2013

Its OK to be a one dimensional pass rusher if you have help for the rest of the defense.

Agree. The NFL is full of guys like that.

• Options
    ACSlaterDawgACSlaterDawg Member Posts: 200
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Photogenic

Not speedy enough that the QB can find an instant open receiver because of our shitty coverage

Might want to check the stats from last year. Pass defense was one of the strengths of the team and it's even stronger considering they had no help from the DL. That being said, it will be interesting to see if they can stay strong there given the loss of Trufant.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,093
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Pass defense was one of the strengths of the team and it's even stronger considering they had no help from the DL. That being said, it will be interesting to see if they can stay strong there given the loss of Trufant.

Heyward looks like he might be a worthy coach. Nussmeier, Cox, Thomas... could he be #4 in the list of coaches Sark has hired who know shit about football?
  • Options
    polarbill1999polarbill1999 Member Posts: 1

Not speedy enough that the QB can find an instant open receiver because of our shitty coverage

Seriously?

Personally I don't think Shirley can post that many sacks as I don't think he is or ever will be a full time DE for the Husky's. He is too small and way too big of a liability in the run. Crap, Shaq is probably bigger than he is. I could see him posting in the 7-10 range as a situational pass rusher that comes in for the starting LDE on passing downs.

Joe Mathis or Marcus Farria might be better options at starting RDE the day they step on campus. Hopefully bewteen the upperclassman we can redshirt these guys. Hopefully Jamora can come back healthy and Hudson can progress and actually play DE instead of playing DT or 3-4 DE at 250 pounds.
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Good topic, RoadDawg55. Although there are a few more empty seats on Josh Shirley bandwagon, my seat is still occupied. I like the guy.

First of all, he is a physical beast. Although he is only 235, he can squat a house, and he can bull rush our biggest OL (granted, our OLs aren't all that great, but still).

Shirley also has tremendous closing speed in the backfield. Once he gets free, no QB is going to outrun him. He gets his hands up when he is in pursuit, so that QBs have a hard time throwing over/around him.

Obviously the problem in 2012 was his propensity to get ridden out of plays. My hope/suspicion is that he, Wilcox, and Tosh are working on this. Shirley is far too talented to NOT figure out his problem. I think he is going to have a real comeback year in 2013. 12 sacks? Not sure about that, but definitely more than 6.5

Just my prediction.
  • Options
    ACSlaterDawgACSlaterDawg Member Posts: 200
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Photogenic
    How good would Shirley be if he played on a line with DeAndre Coleman, Scott Crichton and Danny Shelton. All guys from WA we could have had.

Shirley also had a huge play in the 2011 Cal game when they were on the goal line. It demonstrated his brute strength. I think it was 2nd or 3rd down but he basically fucked up an OL so bad that it caused the Cal back to lose a yard or two. Otherwise he probably gets in.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

How good would Shirley be if he played on a line with DeAndre Coleman, Scott Crichton and Danny Shelton. All guys from WA we could have had.

Shirley also had a huge play in the 2011 Cal game when they were on the goal line. It demonstrated his brute strength. I think it was 2nd or 3rd down but he basically fucked up an OL so bad that it caused the Cal back to lose a yard or two. Otherwise he probably gets in.

Surely he will have 12 sacks.
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2013

I remember that play. Shirley critics said he got caught up in the mess. Hardly. He f'ed up the opposing line so bad that the RB stumbled, and it allowed our defense to catch up. Pretty awesome play.

Hey! Maybe Sark can post the video clip of that play on his website along with the other "championships" he's obtained at UW. Gawd...I'm starting to sound as bad as some of you.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,406
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Please don't call me Shirley
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,069
    Founders Club
  • Options
    DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    Sure, but will UW be good enough to get it out of him? Can the coaches teach him another move besides his spin move? Can Ivan build his lower body strength enough to bull rush? Can the scheme to his strengths? Can the offense get a big enough lead to force the other team to pass? Can I still get a chowder bowl in the new stadium?
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,906
    Founders Club
    Too soon to tell, let it play out. Why do you hate spin moves? Ivan is awesome. Maybe. Probably not. Yes.
  • Options
    longduckdonglongduckdong Member Posts: 1,008
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Yeah i think he can do it. Ill bet he gets 18.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2022
    What about the times I was right?

Kikaha underwent a name change, took his spot back, was very good as a junior, and dominated as a senior. It all worked out.
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

What about the times I was right?

Kikaha underwent a name change, took his spot back, was very good as a junior, and dominated as a senior. It all worked out.

they only want to talk about the times your wrong trust me
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,540
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Shirley was actually pretty fun until opponents realized to just run straight at him whenever he was on the field. Then he was not so fun.